Melbourne - How safe to travel at night ?

Old November 17th, 2004, 09:57 PM
novus

"Peter" wrote in message
T...
Watch out for trams running up and down Flinders Lane. If you don't know
they are there, they can take you by surprise. Even the locals forget
about them sometimes.

Trams actually do run in Flinders Lane - between Market & King Streets.

novus

Old November 17th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Alan

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:40:27 +1100, Peter wrote:

Watch out for trams running up and down Flinders Lane. If you don't know
they are there, they can take you by surprise. Even the locals forget
about them sometimes.

Pete

:-))

Cheers, Alan

Old November 18th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Lyn

I say ONLY because it is not that many compared to some other
cities/provinces. Of course we would all like to see the stats at zero, but
it isn't going to happen. You are more likely to die on the road in Victoria
than be a victim of homicide, and you are also more likely to be seriously
injured on the road than by someone assaulting you in the street.
Sadly it is also true that many murders & assaults occur in a domestic
situation & are unlikely to impact on the average tourist.

"___" wrote in message
There are only about 200 homicides in Victoria each year, 2500
robberies,
and 25,000 cases of assault. Not bad for a population of 4.5 million.

Only you say, are'nt the figures you quote enough ?!

Old November 18th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Alan

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:38:28 +1100, "Lyn" lynbrock @ optusnet.com.au
(remove spaces) wrote:

I say ONLY because it is not that many compared to some other
cities/provinces. Of course we would all like to see the stats at zero, but
it isn't going to happen. You are more likely to die on the road in Victoria
than be a victim of homicide, and you are also more likely to be seriously
injured on the road than by someone assaulting you in the street.
Sadly it is also true that many murders & assaults occur in a domestic
situation & are unlikely to impact on the average tourist.

It's like killing trolls. Nobody notices:-)

Cheers, Alan
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Frank Slootweg

Alan wrote:
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:20:40 -0000, "___" wrote:

[deleted]
Hi All

A troll.

Yup. What are the odds that an anonymous poster is *not* a troll/kook/
jerk? Probably very low. So nice of Mr. no_one [1] to re-confirm this.

I'm a bit slow on the up-take sometimes. In the medical groups (as some
here know) I can usually sniff out a troll fairly quickly.

Kindly drop the "sometimes" bit! :-) But seriously, we all fall into
these traps once in a while, but I think that is only a good point, i.e.
we apparently assume that someone is well-meaning until proven
otherwise. So we fall into no_one's, windsor's, Jeff Coleman's, etc.
traps. Such is life.

[1] Do we have a good nickname for Mr. "___"? "no_one" is not really
good because many others use that. Any funny derivation from "three
underscores"? The funny thing is that why I was typing that, I made some
typos and it came out as "thee undersores". Perhaps that's a good nick?

Old November 18th, 2004, 03:13 PM
ncurtis

"___" wrote in message ...
Trouble is if you have to keep alert etc then there is something wrong
really

Ah, you live in a carefree world where nobody's dog craps on the
sidewalk*, the pavement is scraped clean, bare, and dry after every
freezing rain and snowfall, and small children running at top speed
always take care to steer clear of every obstacle in their paths ;-) .
Must be nice! The rest of us, though, end up having to keep alert for
one reason or another...safety from crime is the least of it.

Nancy

*I found that to be as hazard in quite a few Australian cities,
although my experience was that Melbourne was much safer in that
regard than Sydney or Brisbane.