Ottawa, Canada?

Old June 1st, 2006, 02:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Ottawa, Canada?

I would like to visit Ottawa, Canada with my family the last week in
July. We are from the U.S. and have already visited the beautiful
cities of Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City, and experienced the
wonderful hospitality of the Canadian people. I would appreciate any
advice from those who have travelled to Ottawa in the past, since this
will be our first visit. Some questions:

(1) Are three nights enough? (We are driving in from Toronto)

(2) Are there any nice places to visit between Toronto and Ottawa?
(Kingston?)

(3) Is Gatineau Park worth a visit?

(4) Trying to decide between the Delta and Crowne Plaza in Ottawa. Any
advice?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Old June 1st, 2006, 04:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 31 May 2006 18:55:34 -0700, "mohawkdome"
wrote:

I would like to visit Ottawa, Canada with my family the last week in
July. We are from the U.S. and have already visited the beautiful
cities of Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City, and experienced the
wonderful hospitality of the Canadian people. I would appreciate any
advice from those who have travelled to Ottawa in the past, since this
will be our first visit. Some questions:

(1) Are three nights enough? (We are driving in from Toronto)

How old are your kids & in what are you interested? Museums? Parks?
Parliament Hill? If the kids are old enough, you can rent bikes at
the Chateau Laurier and ride along the Rideau Canal. About 2.5 hrs up
the Valley (Beachburg) you can find some pretty exciting white water
rapid running. There are boat tours on the Canal and the Ottawa
River.

The Byward Market (known locally as "The Market") is where you'll find
the most restaurants and night life. http://www.byward-market.com/

Tourism sites:
http://www.ottawatourism.ca/forms/index.asp?intSite=1
http://www.ottawaregion.worldweb.com/

(2) Are there any nice places to visit between Toronto and Ottawa?
(Kingston?)

Kingston is a pretty city. The Thousand Islands is just a bit further
northeast, and there are boat tours out of places like Gananoque.

(3) Is Gatineau Park worth a visit?

There are a lot of nature trails, so if you like hiking, then sure.
There are also some lakes & beaches in the Park for swimming.
See
http://www.capcan.ca/bins/ncc_web_co...9-10170&lang=1

(4) Trying to decide between the Delta and Crowne Plaza in Ottawa. Any
advice?

Someone else will have to help you with that one.
http://www.ottawahotels.com/ & http://ottawa.hotel--canada.com/ may be
of some use.

Tripadvisor also gives reviews:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...io-Hotels.html

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

---
Mike from Ottawa
Old June 2nd, 2006, 01:39 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

mohawkdome wrote:
I would like to visit Ottawa, Canada with my family the last week in
July. We are from the U.S. and have already visited the beautiful
cities of Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City, and experienced the
wonderful hospitality of the Canadian people. I would appreciate any
advice from those who have travelled to Ottawa in the past, since this
will be our first visit. Some questions:

(1) Are three nights enough? (We are driving in from Toronto)

(2) Are there any nice places to visit between Toronto and Ottawa?
(Kingston?)

(3) Is Gatineau Park worth a visit?

(4) Trying to decide between the Delta and Crowne Plaza in Ottawa. Any
advice?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Well how old are the children
My recommendation is leave early 3 hr drive to Kingston see the fort.
after you are about 90min to Ottawa

It took me and my family 7 days to see most places in Ottawa area

What do you like to see
Old June 2nd, 2006, 03:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

mohawkdome wrote:

I would like to visit Ottawa, Canada with my family the last week in
July. We are from the U.S. and have already visited the beautiful
cities of Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City, and experienced the
wonderful hospitality of the Canadian people. I would appreciate any
advice from those who have travelled to Ottawa in the past, since this
will be our first visit. Some questions:

(1) Are three nights enough? (We are driving in from Toronto)

I'd extend by 2 -3 days.

(2) Are there any nice places to visit between Toronto and Ottawa?
(Kingston?)

Go via 401. Kingston & 1,000 Islands are worth stopping overnight for.
Napanee
is a charming lakeshore town.

(3) Is Gatineau Park worth a visit?

(4) Trying to decide between the Delta and Crowne Plaza in Ottawa. Any
advice?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Return via Hwy 7. Slower but more scenic. Perth and Peterborough,
just off Hwy 7 are worth seeing.

Old June 2nd, 2006, 05:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

mohawkdome wrote:

I would like to visit Ottawa, Canada with my family the last week in
July. We are from the U.S. and have already visited the beautiful
cities of Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City, and experienced the
wonderful hospitality of the Canadian people. I would appreciate any
advice from those who have travelled to Ottawa in the past, since this
will be our first visit. Some questions:

(1) Are three nights enough? (We are driving in from Toronto)

You could easily spend a week there. It's a nice city and there is lots to
see and do. Some of the museums and galleries are now across the river in
Hull.

(2) Are there any nice places to visit between Toronto and Ottawa?
(Kingston?)

Kingston is a nice little. Fort Henry is an interesting old fortification.

(3) Is Gatineau Park worth a visit?

If you want to see a park.

Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Dave Smith wrote:

You could easily spend a week there. It's a nice city and there is lots to
see and do. Some of the museums and galleries are now across the river in
Hull.

I've lived most of my life in Ottawa, and I like it, but I think it's an
exaggeration to say that a tourist could "easily spend a week" here. I'd
recommend a week for a major city like Paris or Berlin, and Ottawa doesn't
fall in that category, as nice as it is.

I agree with the suggestions about Kingston. Consider Upper Canada
Village, http://www.uppercanadavillage.com/ , if you're interested in
historical reconstructions.

I don't usually stay in hotels in my own city ;-), but both the Delta and
the Crowne Plaza seem to be high-quality hotels. They're also fairly close
to each other, so there's no reason to prefer one or the other for the
neighbourhood.

--
Yves Bellefeuille
Google users: To reply to posts, click "show options" next to the