Ottawa, Ontario?

Old July 10th, 2006, 08:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
mohawkdome

Default Ottawa, Ontario?

I will be in Toronto for a few days later this month with my family on
vacation and I'm thinking of extending our visit to Canada a few days.
Should I try to focus on what the Toronto area has to offer, or do you
think it woud be worth driving 5 hours and visiting Ottawa for 2 or 3
days, also (I've never been there, but I have been to Montreal)?

Thanks in advance.

Old July 10th, 2006, 09:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

mohawkdome wrote:

I will be in Toronto for a few days later this month with my family on
vacation and I'm thinking of extending our visit to Canada a few days.
Should I try to focus on what the Toronto area has to offer, or do you
think it woud be worth driving 5 hours and visiting Ottawa for 2 or 3
days, also (I've never been there, but I have been to Montreal)?

It's definitely worth the drive to Ottawa. It is a great city to visit.
There is lots for visitors to see and do.

Old July 11th, 2006, 12:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

In article . com,
mohawkdome wrote:
Should I try to focus on what the Toronto area has to offer, or do you
think it woud be worth driving 5 hours and visiting Ottawa for 2 or 3
days, also (I've never been there, but I have been to Montreal)?

Personally, I found Ottawa a lot more interesting than Toronto.
There have been frequent discussions of Ottawa here, so look for
those on the Google Groups archive and you'll get some great ideas.
Museum of Civilization, National Archives, Parliament Hill (I like
the cat sanctuary!), Byward Market, RCMP Musical Ride HQ, Canadian
Air Museum, etc. etc. etc.

Patty
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
bob

Ottawa merits a lot more time than Toronto. Most Canadians outside Toronto
can't figure why tourists would want to visit it in the first place. Some
say it like a big US city, but safe and clean. Not much of a reason, in my
opinion.
Ottawa has a lot more to offer, nothe the least of which is the geographical
location. It is a small, easily navigable city with many great museums and a
ton of history.

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

ups.com...

Old July 11th, 2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

bob wrote:

Ottawa merits a lot more time than Toronto. Most Canadians outside Toronto
can't figure why tourists would want to visit it in the first place. Some
say it like a big US city, but safe and clean. Not much of a reason, in my
opinion.
Ottawa has a lot more to offer, nothe the least of which is the geographical
location. It is a small, easily navigable city with many great museums and a
ton of history.

I wouldn't say that Ottawa has a lot more to offer. Perhaps it is more compact.
It's a nice drive to Ottawa and it is a great city to visit, but I wouldn't say
it has more to offer.

Old July 11th, 2006, 11:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

In article ,
Dave Smith wrote:

I wouldn't say that Ottawa has a lot more to offer. Perhaps it is more compact.
It's a nice drive to Ottawa and it is a great city to visit, but I wouldn't say
it has more to offer.

Dave, since some of us have expressed our belief that it does, maybe
we're overlooking some of the visitor attractions in Toronto. What
would you consider don't-miss places in TO?

Patty

Old July 12th, 2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Smiles

mohawkdome wrote:
I will be in Toronto for a few days later this month with my family on
vacation and I'm thinking of extending our visit to Canada a few days.
Should I try to focus on what the Toronto area has to offer, or do you
think it woud be worth driving 5 hours and visiting Ottawa for 2 or 3
days, also (I've never been there, but I have been to Montreal)?

Thanks in advance.

Well the drive is nice 5 hour take a brake in Kingston or Smith Falls

Ottawa is good for 5days at least do a google search
lots to see plan your 9-5 time go free at night

Both Toronto and Ottawa are good one week visits if you have been to
Niagara I would take your son to Kingston (for the fort)
than Ottawa/Hull he would like this area

Old July 12th, 2006, 04:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

Thanks for the list, Dave. Maybe, as someone else mentioned, the
attraction of Ottawa is that it's so compact, so you can see many
of its major attractions just by walking from one to the other.
(Not all, of course.)

I know that for me, part of why I liked Ottawa better was because
it didn't have all those tall buildings that block the sun; it felt
more open and less city-like to me. I also found the Museum of
Civilization much more interesting than the Royal Ontario Museum,
but that's definitely my own opinion and may vary greatly with others!

Patty