Booking on Royal Caribbean Site - Letting Them Pick the Room

Old August 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Von Fourche

Default Booking on Royal Caribbean Site - Letting Them Pick the Room

On the Royal Caribbean site they have an option where you commit to
buying a room with a window but you don't find out what room it is until
after you buy. I can get a window room for something like $519.00 if they
choose. Or I can get a room with a window that I choose for $650.00

I wouldn't mind saving some money on this cruise so I'm interested in
the first option. What should I expect if I go this way? Their site says
some window rooms have two small windows instead of the one big round one.
I was hoping for the big round one. If they chose the room will that pretty
much guarantee I get a room with two small windows? Will the room be in
some undesirable place like near an elevator or something?

Thanks!

Old August 28th, 2005, 07:35 PM

It depends on what choices are available. It's like the Lottery...you're
put into a "pool" and may come up a winner with the room you think is best.
Or a loser..with the room you think worst.

Jim
CRI/English
http://pw2.netcom.com/~jleq/cri1.htm

ink.net...

Old August 28th, 2005, 07:40 PM
How B

Von Fourche wrote:
On the Royal Caribbean site they have an option where you commit to
buying a room with a window but you don't find out what room it is until
after you buy. I can get a window room for something like $519.00 if they
choose. Or I can get a room with a window that I choose for $650.00

I wouldn't mind saving some money on this cruise so I'm interested in
the first option. What should I expect if I go this way? Their site says
some window rooms have two small windows instead of the one big round one.
I was hoping for the big round one. If they chose the room will that pretty
much guarantee I get a room with two small windows? Will the room be in
some undesirable place like near an elevator or something?

If you book a "guarantee fare" (that's what your description is actually
called) it helps to expect the worst (i.e. a cabin with two small
windows in a poor location). That way, you won't be disappointed, and
you might be pleasantly surprised--sometimes guarantee fares are
upgraded a category or more, because too many have been sold.

Better yet--you could still get your preferred cabin, and pay less than
the $650 quoted by Royal Caribbean. Many travel agents can do better on
fares than the cruiselines themselves. Many web based agencies can do
better, too. For example, www.mycruisevalue.com offers free insurance
with any RCI or Celebrity booking. If you normally take insurance, this
offsets the fare.

How B

Old August 28th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Surfer E2468

Have never had a cabin they picked for me that was good,always in a bad
location(right by the anchor,all the way on the back,lots of noise) we
now pick what cabin we want,always mid ship.mid deck.

Old August 28th, 2005, 09:08 PM

It sounds like this is your first cruise. If so I would suggest using a
travel agent.

Just because you get a stateroom with a window does not mean you can
see anything. I know nothing about YOUR ship, but windows can be above
eye level or obstructed by objects outside your cabin. Sit down with
someone with a deck plan and let them explain the difference in booking
a specific cabin, a category or a guarantee.

Know eqactly what to expect for your money. If you are getting some
type of deal, there is a reason...

Old August 28th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Von Fourche

wrote in message
oups.com...
It sounds like this is your first cruise. If so I would suggest using a
travel agent.

Just because you get a stateroom with a window does not mean you can
see anything. I know nothing about YOUR ship, but windows can be above
eye level or obstructed by objects outside your cabin. Sit down with
someone with a deck plan and let them explain the difference in booking
a specific cabin, a category or a guarantee.

Know eqactly what to expect for your money. If you are getting some
type of deal, there is a reason...

This is my second cruise. My first one was last year on Mariner of the
Seas. I had a balcony. I absolutely loved that cruse. This cruise will be
on Enchantment. Since it's a five night cruise I've decided to go after a
window only room to save some money - $600 for window, $999 for balcony.

Old August 29th, 2005, 12:43 AM
JB

I've done this several times, with a travel agent. It has always worked out
well, on both RCCL and Princess. The travel agent is in touch with the line
and me and I get the feeling that she checks in regularly to do the best she
can for us.

Jeff

"Von Fourche" wrote in message
ink.net...

oups.com...

Old August 29th, 2005, 01:01 AM
number6

How B wrote:

If you book a "guarantee fare" (that's what your description is actually
called) it helps to expect the worst (i.e. a cabin with two small
windows in a poor location). That way, you won't be disappointed, and
you might be pleasantly surprised--sometimes guarantee fares are
upgraded a category or more, because too many have been sold.

Exactly the right answer ... be satisfied with the what you pay for ...
Then most often you'll be happy with what you get ...

Better yet--you could still get your preferred cabin, and pay less than
the $650 quoted by Royal Caribbean. Many travel agents can do better on
fares than the cruiselines themselves. Many web based agencies can do
better, too. For example, www.mycruisevalue.com offers free insurance
with any RCI or Celebrity booking. If you normally take insurance, this
offsets the fare.

mycruisevalue is not just a web based agency ... they do have a rather
nice sized brick and mortar office ... Give great prices ... and
several bon voyage gifts ...
And the owner lives in a very good neighborhood ... about a dozen
houses down from me ...
One caveat though ... know what and when and where you want ... their
agents are not very good IMO about making travel suggestions ... but on
several occasions have indeed figured out some good upgrades even after
the booking was made ...

Old August 29th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake How B :

Von Fourche wrote:
[...]

Can't do any better on RCI cruises anymore. I don't think RCI would
even approve the free insurance.
--
dillon

Pain is Nature's way of saying "that was stupid"