Smoking on Cruises

Old February 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Carnaghie[_2_]

Default Smoking on Cruises

Tobie Gerbrandt wrote:

Part of the problem is that you don't know before you go if the people ahead
of your balcony are avid smokers. You say "you don't even have to be on the
same DECK". Have you ever tried to change cabins once you are onboard, and,
even if you could, there would be no guarantee that the new location would
be any better.

One of the reasons we LOVE Oceania is that there is NO SMOKING allowed in
the cabins or on the balconies, and they DO enforce it!!!!

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

"Ray" wrote in message
t...

Maybe they DO care , and therefore only smoke in area's where smoking is
allowed , like on a balcony . If someone objects , they surely don't have
to put themselves among the smokers , as most of the cabins are in areas
where smoking is not allowed . You really don't even have to be on the
same DECK as a smoker if you don't want to .

"Jack Hamilton" wrote in message
. ..

I think it's that they don't care. The fact that many people object
to being around cigar smoke is hardly a secret.

After a brandy or three I don't seem to notice the
human chimneys and their aromas!
I doubt that one can get a cabin change because of
a smoker in the next unit, but perhaps a quiet
word with the smoker might do some good. Of course
it also possibly could be the beginning of lots of
conflict.
Cheers,
John in LALALand (On the Left Coast)

Old February 24th, 2008, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Duncan Craig

"Ray" wrote in message
t...
Well, considering that most responsible smokers would get a balcony cabin
so they could smoke in an area designated for smoking , you shouldn't be
all too suprised if a neighbor smokes. If the smoke bothers you so much ,
you can always choose to not go out on the balcony if someone is smoking ,
or just get a cabin without a balcony in the first place . I think that if
you choose to get a cabin thats in an area designated for smoking , than
you should be willing to put up with it .

Oh, I see, Ray. So if I choose to spend the extra $$$ to have a balcony so
that I can enjoy an breakfast in the FRESH air, or enjoy a lazy afternoon or
a romantic evening under the stars, I should put up with smokers' toxic
pollution because you interpret my actions as "chhosing to have a cabin in a
designated smoking area?"

Gimme a break.

Old February 24th, 2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 04:20:53 -0500, "Brian K"
wrote:

My father smokes cigars. When it comes to non smoking signs, he pretends
not to see them. He once entered an exclusive country club with a lit cigar.
Staff asked him to put it out. His reply was "I'll just puff on it, I don't
inhale." That this wasn't the issue didn't seem to matter. Eventualy, much
to everyone in the family's embarrasment, he was ejected from the country
club. I will no longer ride with him. His car smells like a rolling ash
tray.

I think in some perverse way, he gets some kind of kick out of sending out
his clouds of cigar smell on people who don't like it. Imagine if you will,
W. C. Fields blowing cigar smoke in a cop's face while he tries to squirm
out of some infraction. That's my dad.

Brian K

Both of my grandfathers smoked cigars. I can remember choking a lot on
Sunday afternoon drives.

Old February 24th, 2008, 11:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:11:20 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

Well, considering that most responsible smokers would get a balcony cabin so
they could smoke in an area designated for smoking , you shouldn't be all
too suprised if a neighbor smokes. If the smoke bothers you so much , you
can always choose to not go out on the balcony if someone is smoking , or
just get a cabin without a balcony in the first place . I think that if you
choose to get a cabin thats in an area designated for smoking , than you
should be willing to put up with it .

You seem to have the idea that all ships have cabins that are
non-smoking.
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:18:41 GMT, Ray wrote:

Maybe they DO care , and therefore only smoke in area's where smoking is
allowed , like on a balcony .

Horse****, they know damn well they are still being obnoxious with their
cigar smoke and they make the overt choice to use the shallow excuse "it is
allowed" as if this allowance somehow sanctifies their voluntary
manslaughter.

Bottom line: Smokers are scum and they trade the inconvenience of their
withdrawal for my life. Period.
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
AZ Nomad

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:16:52 -0500, Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 04:20:53 -0500, Brian K wrote:

I think in some perverse way, he gets some kind of kick out of sending out
his clouds of cigar smell on people who don't like it.

Bet your ass it's a control thing, a "stay away from me" thing and/or a "I
can kick your butt" thing. All machismo like the actors who pose on Cigar
Aficianado all manly and awe-inspiring, aren't they?

It's an addiction thing. Staying off a fix is to the addict the same
as twisting a knife in their gut.
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray

I think MOST cabins are non smoking. Even most balcony cabins are non
smoking , a smoker can only smoke on the balcony itself . That would explain
why a smoker is likely to choose a balcony cabin over one without a balcony.
I'd have a bigger gripe agains someone smoking inside other cabins where
smoking isn't allowed.

Old February 25th, 2008, 01:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 01:38:09 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

I think MOST cabins are non smoking. Even most balcony cabins are non
smoking , a smoker can only smoke on the balcony itself . That would explain
why a smoker is likely to choose a balcony cabin over one without a balcony.
I'd have a bigger gripe agains someone smoking inside other cabins where
smoking isn't allowed.

Hi Ray,

What cruise line are you referring to about non-smoking cabins? I
think you have been smoking some of those funny cigarettes I have
heard about. :+)

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray

Well , how I interpret your actions doesn't matter . If the cruise lines
allow smoking on the balconies , people will smoke there , especially if the
majority of the ship is non smoking . What you, I , or anyone else thinks
about it won't change the facts. So if you choose to spend extra money for a
cabin in one of the few areas of the ship where smoking is allowed , you
shouldn't be suprised if your neighbor smokes. It's really rather amazing
that you could even expect otherwise ......

Old February 25th, 2008, 01:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

What cruise line are you referring to about non-smoking cabins? I
think you have been smoking some of those funny cigarettes I have
heard about. :+)

Possibly he is referring to Royal Caribbean. The cabins are now non
smoking but it is allowed on the balconies.

--
Charles