Laundry Service on HAL

Old April 10th, 2008, 05:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
cha

Default Laundry Service on HAL

We will be going out on the Westerdam next Sunday and trying to decide
how much clothing I need to haul along. They have laundry service but
we don't know what to expect. Since there are 3 of us going we were
thinking about maybe 6 pairs of pants, 6 shirts, and maybe a couple
other things but probably not--undies are small and easy to take all
we need. Any idea what that would cost us? Ballpark, ofcourse.
Also, if we are talking about cotton knits and wash-and-wear sorts of
items, is there any need to pay extra for ironing? I assume something
like a polo shirt would be taken out and hung up or folded neatly and
be okay without the ironing. Of course a dress shirt or something
need creases or like that would be different but we aren't
anticipating needing that.

Thanks,

cha
Old April 10th, 2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George

On Apr 10, 12:59 am, cha wrote:
We will be going out on the Westerdam next Sunday and trying to decide
how much clothing I need to haul along. They have laundry service but
we don't know what to expect. Since there are 3 of us going we were
thinking about maybe 6 pairs of pants, 6 shirts, and maybe a couple
other things but probably not--undies are small and easy to take all
we need. Any idea what that would cost us? Ballpark, ofcourse.
Also, if we are talking about cotton knits and wash-and-wear sorts of
items, is there any need to pay extra for ironing? I assume something
like a polo shirt would be taken out and hung up or folded neatly and
be okay without the ironing. Of course a dress shirt or something
need creases or like that would be different but we aren't
anticipating needing that.

Thanks,

cha

We took the Westerdam last year across the Atlantic (16 days) and made
heavy use of the laundry. We weighed up the prices the 1st time we
used it and chose the all-you-want-for-one-price offer. For our 16
days it was (near as I can remember) $80-90. Service was 1 day
turnaround and everything was done perfectly, nothing lost, etc. We
sent in everything from underwear to dress shirts.

For shorter cruises I have no idea what the $$ would be (or even if
they offer it), but the service itself I'd rate excellent.

George
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 4/10/2008 12:46 PM George plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said:
On Apr 10, 12:59 am, cha wrote:

[...]

I'd just take enough clothes for the climate of the cruise, and do the
laundry when I get home. Then either save the money I would have spent
or redirect it towards an excursion.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Deb[_2_]

In article ,
cha wrote:

We will be going out on the Westerdam next Sunday and trying to decide
how much clothing I need to haul along. They have laundry service but
we don't know what to expect. Since there are 3 of us going we were
thinking about maybe 6 pairs of pants, 6 shirts, and maybe a couple
other things but probably not--undies are small and easy to take all
we need. Any idea what that would cost us? Ballpark, ofcourse.
Also, if we are talking about cotton knits and wash-and-wear sorts of
items, is there any need to pay extra for ironing? I assume something
like a polo shirt would be taken out and hung up or folded neatly and
be okay without the ironing. Of course a dress shirt or something
need creases or like that would be different but we aren't
anticipating needing that.

Thanks,

cha

On our7 day Zuiderdam cruise HAL offered laundry by the bag
prices($14/bag). They said it would be 48 hour turnaround but usually
got items the next afternoon. No need to pay extra for ironing as most
shirts/shorts/pants were returned on hangers and in great shape. We
thought the laundry deal was great. And you could fit quite a bit into
the bag. I would assume other HAL ships would offer the same deals. Hope
this helps
Old April 11th, 2008, 06:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
cha

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:57:09 -0400, Deb
wrote:

In article ,
cha wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that helps a lot. I sure like the idea of travelling a little
lighter and knowing that if I need a few things washed to get me
through, I can reasonably do it. That sounds like a terrific bargain
too.

I appreciate the answers, yours and others, too.

cha

Old April 11th, 2008, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Carnaghie[_2_]

cha wrote:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:57:09 -0400, Deb
wrote:

In article ,
cha wrote:

[...]

Dear Cha,
I remember the $2.00 each charge for each
Tee-Shirt and now carry a small bottle of cold
water detergent and another of rinse-conditioner.
I then can play "Washerman" in the tiny bathroom
sink and hang on the provided line in the shower.

Of course on some ships there are self
service laundry, but the ironing service in those
venues is pretty poor.(:+)=

The "bag of laundry" and "All you want"
laundry specials are not offered on every cruise.
It seems to be up to the "Hotel Manager."

Cheers and have a great cruise,
John in LALALand (On the Left Coast)
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

J Carnaghie wrote:

Dear Cha,
I remember the $2.00 each charge for each
Tee-Shirt and now carry a small bottle of cold
water detergent and another of rinse-conditioner.
I then can play "Washerman" in the tiny bathroom
sink and hang on the provided line in the shower.

Of course on some ships there are self
service laundry, but the ironing service in those
venues is pretty poor.(:+)=

The "bag of laundry" and "All you want"
laundry specials are not offered on every cruise.
It seems to be up to the "Hotel Manager."

Cheers and have a great cruise,
John in LALALand (On the Left Coast)

Possibly helpful note: Put the line through the arms of the shirt
before you attach it to the other side of the shower. This keeps it
from sliding off even if you have no clothespins.

Can also be done with belt loops on trousers, and through the crotch
of underpants or bathing suits.