Suvarnabhumi and taxi touts

Old March 24th, 2007, 11:19 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

Default Suvarnabhumi and taxi touts

I've flown in and out of the new airport a couple of times
domestically. My wife and I just returned from my first international
trip using Suvarnabhumi instead of Don Muang.

First the good. All of the whining and complaining about the new
airport appears to be just the standard "growing pains". Check in on
departure was fast. The airport fee is now included in the ticket
price so that delay is gone. Immigration was standard for Thailand
(slow). I flew Singapore Air. They don't have their own lounge as they
did in Don Muang but the Thai Airways lounge is top drawer.

On arrival the landing was smooth. I didn't see the rough tarmac that
people had complained about. Taxiing was actually smoother than
Changi. 5 minute walk to Immigration (lucked out on that one). Only 4
people in front of me at the Immigration line so that only took a few
minutes. Checked luggage was a bit slow but not bad.

Then came the bad. There are so many taxi touts that it is difficult
to walk through the terminal. Several tried to escort us. A couple
tried to take our bags off the cart to "be helpful". Out the door and
the closest road is reserved for taxis and limos. We had to walk to
the center divider to the second road so that my driver could meet us.

AOT needs to deal with the taxi tout situation. It's a whole bunch
worse than Don Muang. But other than that the experience at
Suvarnabhumi was actually better than it usually was at DM.

Old March 24th, 2007, 01:12 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
hummingbird

On 24 Mar 2007 03:19:09 -0700 'Tchiowa'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

[...]

There's been a lot of recent press comment in Asia about the new
airport's problems ...cracks in the runways, taxiways and poor water
drainage etc and I believe it must be true, although I didn't actually
see any of it when I landed domestically 16th Feb and left 20th Feb.
There are also reports of leaks in the roof and not enough public
toilets. I think the latest plan is to move some domestic flights back
to DM while they sort out these problems.

W/r/t taxi touts, I totally agree. When I arrived, I was surrounded
by touts to the point of annoyance while I was trying to find where to
catch the Airport Express 1 coach to Silom. The signage to the AE is
not clear at all and it took me 20mins to find it. I shouldn't have
bothered because that was a poor experience and I won't using it
again. OTOH when I left it took me 35mins to get from Silom to the
airport by taxi and cost 400baht, so the taxi connections are not bad.

You didn't mention that the boarding gates can be a 20min walk from
the check-in counters, depending which gate you're using.
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:39 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
maxwell

"hummingbird" wrote ...
On 24 Mar 2007 03:19:09 -0700 'Tchiowa'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:
I've flown in and out of the new airport a couple of times
domestically. My wife and I just returned from my first international

trip using Suvarnabhumi instead of Don Muang.

First the good. All of the whining and complaining about the new
airport appears to be just the standard "growing pains".

Righto--while 'tchiowa' finding something to whine and complain about is
something different ;~)

Check in on departure was fast. The airport fee is now included in the

ticketprice so that delay is gone.

Umm, yes, and that's nothing that could not have been done at Don Muang.

Immigration was standard for Thailand (slow).

I had scant little delay--under 5 minutes.
Waitaminit--downpage here 'tchiowa' is saying qImmigration line so that
only took a few minutes. /q
Let me guess--it must be a reading deficiency, and not 'tchiowa'
contradicting self in the post ;~)

I flew Singapore Air. They don't have their own lounge as they
did in Don Muang but the Thai Airways lounge is top drawer.

On arrival the landing was smooth. I didn't see the rough tarmac that

people had complained about. Taxiing was actually smoother than Changi. 5
minute walk to Immigration (lucked out on that one). Only 4 people in front
of me at the Immigration line so that only took a few minutes. Checked
luggage was a bit slow but not bad.

The wait for baggage to arrive on the belt from the Cathay flight I took in
from HK was _much_ longer than Cathay to Don Muang. (or Delta, Northwest,
ANA, Thai, Japan, or EVA to Don Muang).

Then came the bad. There are so many taxi touts that it is difficult
to walk through the terminal. Several tried to escort us.

I found simply shaking my head and declaring "Mai ao !" while smiling more
than sufficed to repel taxi touts.

A couple tried to take our bags off the cart to "be helpful".

Surprising! Does 'tchiowa' look particularly timid? ;~)

Out the door and the closest road is reserved for taxis and limos. We had

to walk to the center divider to the second road so that my driver could
meet us.

Umm, that's how many meters compared to the hundreds of meters in from the
gates?

AOT needs to deal with the taxi tout situation. It's a whole bunch
worse than Don Muang.

Don Muang was more annoyingly 'touted up' in my experience.
The FACT that encounters vary between travelers and even during the course
of a day STRONGLY suggests one should not GENERALIZE from single (or even a
few) anecdotal experiences, while common immutable 'features' CAN fairly be
assessed. (such as the ungodly long trek to departure gates, unrelieved by
sufficient moving sidewalks)

But other than that the experience at
Suvarnabhumi was actually better than it usually was at DM.

There's been a lot of recent press comment in Asia about the new
airport's problems ...cracks in the runways, taxiways and poor water

drainage etc and I believe it must be true, although I didn't actually see
any of it when I landed domestically 16th Feb and left 20th Feb.

Apparently 'tchiowa' did not sit in the pilot's cabin ;~)

There are also reports of leaks in the roof and not enough public
toilets. I think the latest plan is to move some domestic flights back
to DM while they sort out these problems.

'thinks' ?
It's been very widely discussed.

W/r/t taxi touts, I totally agree. When I arrived, I was surrounded
by touts to the point of annoyance while I was trying to find where to

catch the Airport Express 1 coach to Silom. The signage to the AE is not
clear at all and it took me 20mins to find it. I shouldn't have
bothered because that was a poor experience and I won't using it
again.

We saw (or rather, passed by) that coach (or a similar one--on bottom level
1) on the way to the free shuttle to the public bus terminal--it looked like
a poor way to spend a large bus fare, especially as the public buses are
clean and spacious, and run frequently from the bus terminal.
HOWEVER, the stops at the airport terminal building were not well marked (if
marked at all--perhaps some mischief with signs, FAIK?); we ended up walking
the length of the lane (past that private Express bus stop-- when according
to the airport map, stops are also nearer to the beginning)
See if any of these are helpful:
http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/56

OTOH when I left it took me 35mins to get from Silom to the airport by

taxi and cost 400baht, so the taxi connections are not bad.

You didn't mention that the boarding gates can be a 20min walk from the

check-in counters, depending which gate you're using.

Bloody PITA, that, and worse if one is lame or burdened by age or with small
children. King Power's 'need' to glut the route with shops apparently
trumped passenger-friendly lengths of moving walkways.

Old March 25th, 2007, 11:43 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

On Mar 24, 9:39 pm, "maxwell" wrote:
"hummingbird" wrote ... On 24 Mar 2007 03:19:09 -0700 'Tchiowa'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:
I've flown in and out of the new airport a couple of times
domestically. My wife and I just returned from my first international

trip using Suvarnabhumi instead of Don Muang.

First the good. All of the whining and complaining about the new
airport appears to be just the standard "growing pains".

Righto--while 'tchiowa' finding something to whine and complain about is
something different ;~)

Check in on departure was fast. The airport fee is now included in the

ticketprice so that delay is gone.

Umm, yes, and that's nothing that could not have been done at Don Muang.

But it wasn't, was it? Or did you come to Thailand so rarely that you
had forgotten that?

Immigration was standard for Thailand (slow).

I had scant little delay--under 5 minutes.
Waitaminit--downpage here 'tchiowa' is saying qImmigration line so that
only took a few minutes. /q
Let me guess--it must be a reading deficiency, and not 'tchiowa'
contradicting self in the post ;~)

Reading Comprehension 101. First paragraph was *specifically* about
departures. Later down was *specifically* about arrivals. Different
Immigration process. Or is this yet another of the things you don't
understand?

[...]

"Mai ao krap" would have been better.

A couple tried to take our bags off the cart to "be helpful".

Surprising! Does 'tchiowa' look particularly timid? ;~)

Apparently they thought I looked like I could afford to pay for a
taxi. You apparently looked different.

Out the door and the closest road is reserved for taxis and limos. We had
to walk to the center divider to the second road so that my driver could
meet us.

Umm, that's how many meters compared to the hundreds of meters in from the gates?

Read above. No "hundreds of meters" involved from the gates. And
that's irrelevant. The additional walk and pushing a cart through to
the center area is simply unnecessary.

AOT needs to deal with the taxi tout situation. It's a whole bunch
worse than Don Muang.

Don Muang was more annoyingly 'touted up' in my experience.

"Experience"? One visit every other year doesn't really add up to a
whole lot of "experience".

And the gauntlet of taxi touts is much longer at Suvarnabhumi.

But other than that the experience at
Suvarnabhumi was actually better than it usually was at DM.

There's been a lot of recent press comment in Asia about the new
airport's problems ...cracks in the runways, taxiways and poor water
drainage etc and I believe it must be true, although I didn't actually see
any of it when I landed domestically 16th Feb and left 20th Feb.

Apparently 'tchiowa' did not sit in the pilot's cabin ;~)

Cracks in the runway can be felt as you taxi over them. Weren't you
aware of that? Or don't you have enough "experience" to realize that?

catch the Airport Express 1 coach to Silom. The signage to the AE is not
clear at all and it took me 20mins to find it. I shouldn't have
bothered because that was a poor experience and I won't using it
again.

We saw (or rather, passed by) that coach (or a similar one--on bottom level
1) on the way to the free shuttle to the public bus terminal--it looked like
a poor way to spend a large bus fare, especially as the public buses are
clean and spacious, and run frequently from the bus terminal.

5555555555 "Free"? I guess that's why the taxi touts didn't go after
you. You look like someone looking for something for "free".

Old March 25th, 2007, 11:45 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

On Mar 25, 3:35 am, Markus Weiss wrote:
"Tchiowa" writes:
AOT needs to deal with the taxi tout situation. It's a whole bunch
worse than Don Muang. But other than that the experience at
Suvarnabhumi was actually better than it usually was at DM.

No problem at all.

There were a few touts at Don Muang, and there are a few at
Suvarnabhumi. Just ignore them, move to the ground floor and pick your
taxi from there.

There are more than "a few" at Suvarnabhumi. In a couple of spots it
was nearly impossible to wheel a luggage cart between them.

Old March 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Chabon 19

"Tchiowa" writes:
AOT needs to deal with the taxi tout situation. It's a whole bunch
worse than Don Muang. But other than that the experience at
Suvarnabhumi was actually better than it usually was at DM.

No problem at all.

There were a few touts at Don Muang, and there are a few at
Suvarnabhumi. Just ignore them, move to the ground floor and pick your
taxi from there.

There are more than "a few" at Suvarnabhumi. In a couple of spots it
was nearly impossible to wheel a luggage cart between them.

That is because you TCHIOWA are to fat for that - has nothing to do
with the luggage!
I had no problem you idiot and so had my wife!

Old March 25th, 2007, 03:44 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
maxwell

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 24, 9:39 pm, "maxwell" wrote:
"hummingbird" wrote ... On 24 Mar 2007 03:19:09 -0700 'Tchiowa'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

FIRST PARAGRAPH:
I've flown in and out of the new airport a couple of times

domestically. My wife and I just returned from my first international trip
using Suvarnabhumi instead of Don Muang.

That's a RETURN. (noted WRT downpage detritus)

First the good. All of the whining and complaining about the new

airport appears to be just the standard "growing pains".

Righto--while 'tchiowa' finding something to whine and complain about is

something different ;~)

Check in on departure was fast. The airport fee is now included in the

ticketprice so that delay is gone.

Umm, yes, and that's nothing that could not have been done at Don Muang.

But it wasn't, was it?

Immaterial. Fact is that as it's something that happened under the current
regime, your intentional ignorance is noted.

Or did you come to Thailand so rarely that you had forgotten that?

You have a reading comprehension and/or logic deficiency problem?
""nothing that could not have been done at Don Muang."" directly implies it
was not done at Don Muang.
. .now weasel away from that . .

Immigration was standard for Thailand (slow).

I had scant little delay--under 5 minutes.
Waitaminit--downpage here 'tchiowa' is saying qImmigration line so

that only took a few minutes. /q
Let me guess--it must be a reading deficiency, and not 'tchiowa'

contradicting self in the post ;~)

Reading Comprehension 101. First paragraph was *specifically* about

departures.

LOL !
Go scroll back up.
Been drinking or just blinded by hunger?

[...]

If I'd wanted to be formally polite to touts who got in my face I'd have
included the particle--which I did at times, though always the smile. Funny
how smiles given get smiles back--you must be quite the dour John by
comparison. Thanks for stating the obvious ;~)

A couple tried to take our bags off the cart to "be helpful".

Surprising! Does 'tchiowa' look particularly timid? ;~)

Apparently they thought I looked like I could afford to pay for a taxi.

You apparently looked different.

LOL ! VERY hungry !

Out the door and the closest road is reserved for taxis and limos. We

had to walk to the center divider to the second road so that my driver could
meet us.

Umm, that's how many meters compared to the hundreds of meters in from

the gates?

Read above. No "hundreds of meters" involved from the gates.

qfrom my first international trip /q

LOL !
Were you unconscious and taken off the plane in a wheelchair? ;~)

And that's irrelevant.

LMAO! Now the lord of ambulatory whining declares one part of the arrival
passage from plane irrelevant--the LONGEST part, so that it can 'justify'
crying about an ENTIRE crossing of a lane in the road!
Were this not so pedestrian (yah, two meanings ;~) it might almost be funny.

The additional walk and pushing a cart through to the center area is simply

unnecessary.

Poor dear.
I found that the FAR better access from parking than at Don Muang made an
easy short haul from the elevator (up to 4th level) and across to my inlaws'
auto when arriving internationally. Sorry (not) that no one meets you when
you arrive (who isn't needing money in hand for the experience), but that's
not surprising.

AOT needs to deal with the taxi tout situation. It's a whole bunch

worse than Don Muang.

Don Muang was more annoyingly 'touted up' in my experience.

"Experience"? One visit every other year doesn't really add up to a whole

lot of "experience".

I've previously offered the wager you've ignored.

And the gauntlet of taxi touts is much longer at Suvarnabhumi.

But other than that the experience at Suvarnabhumi was actually better

than it usually was at DM.

There's been a lot of recent press comment in Asia about the new

airport's problems ...cracks in the runways, taxiways and poor water
drainage etc and I believe it must be true, although I didn't actually see
any of it when I landed domestically 16th Feb and left 20th Feb.

Apparently 'tchiowa' did not sit in the pilot's cabin ;~)

Cracks in the runway can be felt as you taxi over them.

Nonsense. LARGE cracks could be felt, as can ripples in the tarmac.

Weren't you aware of that? Or don't you have enough "experience" to realize

that?

You're so very hungry. ;~)

catch the Airport Express 1 coach to Silom. The signage to the AE is

not clear at all and it took me 20mins to find it. I shouldn't have bothered
because that was a poor experience and I won't using it again.

We saw (or rather, passed by) that coach (or a similar one--on bottom

level 1) on the way to the free shuttle to the public bus terminal--it
looked like a poor way to spend a large bus fare, especially as the public
buses are clean and spacious, and run frequently from the bus terminal.

5555555555 "Free"? I guess that's why the taxi touts didn't go after you.

You look like someone looking for something for "free".

A desperate thing, you, and one whose actual commingling with Thai is
apparently limited to those you hire for service. Returning from Hat Yai
(Air Asia) we enjoyed seeing my wife's niece off on her bus from the public
terminal, and then took ours to Nonthaburi (the bus continues on to
Rangsit), from which we cabbed out to Bang Bua Thong. ALL of your inlaws are
up on the plateau, is that the deal?

Old March 25th, 2007, 10:09 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
LarbGai

On Mar 26, 2:44 am, "maxwell" wrote:
"Tchiowa" wrote in message

If I'd wanted to be formally polite to touts who got in my face I'd have
included the particle--which I did at times, though always the smile. Funny
how smiles given get smiles back--you must be quite the dour John by
comparison. Thanks for stating the obvious ;~)

A couple tried to take our bags off the cart to "be helpful".

Surprising! Does 'tchiowa' look particularly timid? ;~)

Apparently they thought I looked like I could afford to pay for a taxi.

You apparently looked different.

LOL ! VERY hungry !

****** Speaking of Tchiowa and taxies..............This is what advice
our tubby little friend gives to others.....

From: "Joao Borboleta"
True, that's cheap. But for $10-15 more you take a taxi from the
airport
queue directly to your hotel in Pattaya, don't wait even one minute
for a
bus, don't go to the bus terminal, don't wait there for another bus,
don't
ride in a bus to Pattaya, and don't change to a taxi at the bus
station. I'm
either in my hotel asleep, eating at a nice restaurant, or
"misbehaving" at
a local go-go while you're still on the bus.

For me that's easily worth the extra $10.

****** Note the misbehaving???? And him a "married" man as well.

Old March 25th, 2007, 10:50 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
hummingbird

On 25 Mar 2007 03:45:32 -0700 'Tchiowa'

"Tchiowa" writes:
AOT needs to deal with the taxi tout situation. It's a whole bunch
worse than Don Muang. But other than that the experience at
Suvarnabhumi was actually better than it usually was at DM.

No problem at all.

There were a few touts at Don Muang, and there are a few at
Suvarnabhumi. Just ignore them, move to the ground floor and pick your
taxi from there.

There are more than "a few" at Suvarnabhumi. In a couple of spots it
was nearly impossible to wheel a luggage cart between them.

Agreed. The taxi touts are everywhere getting in the way
....as I said earlier, to the point of extreme annoyance.
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:04 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

On Mar 25, 9:44 pm, "maxwell" wrote:
"Tchiowa" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 24, 9:39 pm, "maxwell" wrote:
"hummingbird" wrote ... On 24 Mar 2007 03:19:09 -0700 'Tchiowa'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

FIRST PARAGRAPH: I've flown in and out of the new airport a couple of times

domestically. My wife and I just returned from my first international trip
using Suvarnabhumi instead of Don Muang.

That's a RETURN. (noted WRT downpage detritus)

But no detail there. Now when I start talking about detail, the first
paragraph *AS YOU QUOTE BELOW* says very specifically "Check in on
departure was fast....." and then mentions Immigration. Try reading in
context. Tough for you Lefties, I realize. But give it a whirl.

snip

Check in on departure was fast. The airport fee is now included in the
ticketprice so that delay is gone.

Umm, yes, and that's nothing that could not have been done at Don Muang.

But it wasn't, was it?

Immaterial. Fact is that as it's something that happened under the current
regime, your intentional ignorance is noted.

Your intentional misreading is noted. I wasn't talking about what
happened under any regime. Comparing old and new airports was all. Pay
attention.

Or did you come to Thailand so rarely that you had forgotten that?

You have a reading comprehension and/or logic deficiency problem?
""nothing that could not have been done at Don Muang."" directly implies it
was not done at Don Muang.
. .now weasel away from that . .

Then why did you complain about the statement?

Interesting that a very mild and non-controversial post you choose to
turn into a fight. I guess you're reverting to your uB/Urbane/e-Dog
persona.

snip

Then came the bad. There are so many taxi touts that it is difficult
to walk through the terminal. Several tried to escort us.

I found simply shaking my head and declaring "Mai ao !" while smiling
more than sufficed to repel taxi touts.

"Mai ao krap" would have been better.

If I'd wanted to be formally polite to touts who got in my face I'd have
included the particle--which I did at times, though always the smile. Funny
how smiles given get smiles back--you must be quite the dour John by
comparison. Thanks for stating the obvious ;~)

I see. You smiled and spoke rudely. Apparently you know even less
about Thailand than I thought.

Out the door and the closest road is reserved for taxis and limos. We

had to walk to the center divider to the second road so that my driver could
meet us.

Umm, that's how many meters compared to the hundreds of meters in from

the gates?

Read above. No "hundreds of meters" involved from the gates.

qfrom my first international trip /q

LOL !
Were you unconscious and taken off the plane in a wheelchair? ;~)

No. It took less than 5 minutes to get from the gate to Immigration.
Please try to read before you respond. Also think.

And that's irrelevant.

LMAO! Now the lord of ambulatory whining declares one part of the arrival
passage from plane irrelevant--the LONGEST part, so that it can 'justify'
crying about an ENTIRE crossing of a lane in the road!

Actually the shortest part. It was longer from Immigration to an exit
door than gate to Immigration.

Were this not so pedestrian (yah, two meanings ;~) it might almost be funny.

The additional walk and pushing a cart through to the center area is simply

unnecessary.

Poor dear.
I found that the FAR better access from parking than at Don Muang made an
easy short haul from the elevator (up to 4th level) and across to my inlaws'
auto when arriving internationally. Sorry (not) that no one meets you when
you arrive (who isn't needing money in hand for the experience), but that's
not surprising.

I see. So now you are acknowledging using the departure area at DM for
arrivals in direct opposition to the laws and intent. Is there a
reason you don't just use the arrivals area? Or are you just one of
those who think you are too good for the rules?

Also interesting that you have to rely on your wife's family to
provide you transportation. Or is that just something you made up?
After all you *DID* say that you used the free bus.

As to the rest: yes, I employ a Thai driver. And a Thai maid. I *add*
to Thailand rather than being a parasite.

AOT needs to deal with the taxi tout situation. It's a whole bunch
worse than Don Muang.

Don Muang was more annoyingly 'touted up' in my experience.

"Experience"? One visit every other year doesn't really add up to a whole
lot of "experience".

I've previously offered the wager you've ignored.

I don't recall a wager but if you think you can prove it, give it a
whirl.

There's been a lot of recent press comment in Asia about the new
airport's problems ...cracks in the runways, taxiways and poor water
drainage etc and I believe it must be true, although I didn't actually see
any of it when I landed domestically 16th Feb and left 20th Feb.

Apparently 'tchiowa' did not sit in the pilot's cabin ;~)

Cracks in the runway can be felt as you taxi over them.

Nonsense. LARGE cracks could be felt, as can ripples in the tarmac.

And you can feel those in Changi as you could in DM but not in
Suvarnabhumi.

We saw (or rather, passed by) that coach (or a similar one--on bottom
level 1) on the way to the free shuttle to the public bus terminal--it
looked like a poor way to spend a large bus fare, especially as the public
buses are clean and spacious, and run frequently from the bus terminal.

5555555555 "Free"? I guess that's why the taxi touts didn't go after you.

You look like someone looking for something for "free".

A desperate thing, you, and one whose actual commingling with Thai is
apparently limited to those you hire for service.

And marry and work with and socialize with and live among.

Returning from Hat Yai (Air Asia) we enjoyed seeing my wife's niece off on her bus from the public
terminal,

I see. You arrived on a domestic flight and then when over to the
International gates to look at the signs?

and then took ours to Nonthaburi (the bus continues on to
Rangsit), from which we cabbed out to Bang Bua Thong. ALL of your inlaws are
up on the plateau, is that the deal?

Hmmm. I thought your inlaws picked you up in their car. You need to
start working on keeping your lies straight.