What would you put on a ship....

Old February 29th, 2008, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Default What would you put on a ship....

Rock climbing walls. Self leveling pool tables. Flow riders. Bowling
lanes. Ice skating rinks. Specialty restaurants. These and others are all
innovations that have appeared on cruise ships in the past ten years.

So... a simple question. If you were designing a cruise ship, what new
"gimmick", feature, program or attraction would you like to see included?

I'll start us off.....

A roller coaster. Imagine a roller coaster that roars around the top decks
of the ship and in one area... soars out over the water, 15 stories above
the sea.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

May 12, 2008 - 5 nt New Orleans http://www.cruisemaster.com/fantasy.htm
October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm
Feb. 8, 2009 Solstice Valentine http://www.cruisemaster.com/solstice.htm

Old February 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Feb 29, 9:35 am, "George Leppla" wrote:
Rock climbing walls. Self leveling pool tables. Flow riders. Bowling
lanes. Ice skating rinks. Specialty restaurants. These and others are all
innovations that have appeared on cruise ships in the past ten years.

So... a simple question. If you were designing a cruise ship, what new
"gimmick", feature, program or attraction would you like to see included?

I'll start us off.....

A roller coaster. Imagine a roller coaster that roars around the top decks
of the ship and in one area... soars out over the water, 15 stories above
the sea.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

May 12, 2008 - 5 nt New Orleanshttp://www.cruisemaster.com/fantasy.htm
October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm
Feb. 8, 2009 Solstice Valentinehttp://www.cruisemaster.com/solstice.htm

Being able to water ski from the back of the ship doing 28 notes would
be great !! And power sailing from the back of the ship also LOL !!
It's coming .

ken G............
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Muz@aoo[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

With all the new mega-ships scheduled to come into the marketplace, short
speedwalks would be oh-so-nice. They are those flat conveyor belts you may
use in airports to transport you to your destination, whereupon the
passengers would walk onto the belt and could stand or walk to the exit
point. They are supported by a moving handrail so safety on rolling seas (or
difficulty walking/standing up) would not precipitate falls by guests.

Old February 29th, 2008, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Feb 29, 9:35 am, "George Leppla" wrote:

So... a simple question. If you were designing a cruise ship, what new
"gimmick", feature, program or attraction would you like to see included?

One of my earliest cruises was on the HAL Westerdam (the old one).
They had a real movie theater. I loved having that option, if the
evening show in the show lounge didn't appeal to me. I'd love to see a
cutting edge, stadium seating, surround sound movie theater on ships -
maybe it would seat 200? Each week, they could have multiple showings
of, say, 3 movies, giving everyone a pretty decent chance to catch one
or more showings of the movies they wanted to see.

Old February 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"LeeNY" wrote in message
On Feb 29, 9:35 am, "George Leppla" wrote:

So... a simple question. If you were designing a cruise ship, what new
"gimmick", feature, program or attraction would you like to see included?

One of my earliest cruises was on the HAL Westerdam (the old one).
They had a real movie theater. I loved having that option, if the
evening show in the show lounge didn't appeal to me. I'd love to see a
cutting edge, stadium seating, surround sound movie theater on ships -
maybe it would seat 200? Each week, they could have multiple showings
of, say, 3 movies, giving everyone a pretty decent chance to catch one
or more showings of the movies they wanted to see.

That is a peeve of mine on some Princess ships. The main show lounge has
theater seating and is great for watching movies..... but they usually
schedule the movies in the aft lounge... that has lounge-style seating.

Dumb.

Old February 29th, 2008, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Feb 29, 11:46 am, "George Leppla" wrote:
"LeeNY" wrote in message

[...]

That's what HAL is doing also, at least on the Zuidy and Oosterdam.
They use the Queen's Lounge (the minor show venue) as the movie
theater. It's lounge seating, which is comfy enough, but not great for
movie watching. Last cruise, they were still giving out free
popcorn...but that was a few years ago, already.

Old February 29th, 2008, 06:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Feb 29, 11:13 am, "Everyboysmomma" wrote:

How about a top deck "adults only" pool area, WITH music. I've found that
if I want to be childless, I am off somewhere with no steel drums.
Momma

And, I'd like an adults-only pool area with no music, or any other
piped-in "entertainment". I remember on the Zuidy, the aft pool was
supposed to be adults only - no band, which was great (some of us want
NO noise other than ambient noise, so we can read, nap, converse,
etc.). But, even though it was the "quiet" pool, that's where they
held the pool games!. Then, I think it was on Carnival Miracle, I
thought I had found a spot at the quiet pool (checked the daily
schedule to make sure I wouldn't be where the action was), but they
piped in the play-by-play of the pool games anyway. That was really
odd. Here I am, sitting near a quiet pool on the complete other end of
the ship from where the pool games are happening, yet I'm being forced
to hear the action - even if I can't (and don't want to) see it. It
was really weird.

Old February 29th, 2008, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_2_]

Tanning beds would be nice. You could get an all over tan, and it would
not matter if it was sunny or raining outside.

Chocoholic buffets, every ship should have them.

Becca

Old February 29th, 2008, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Duncan Craig

"LeeNY" wrote in message
[...]

There used to be a wonderful, quiet area on one of the cabin decks at the
stern of the old Noordam & Nieuwe Amsterdam. Very secluded, only about a
dozen deckchairs, and it seems most passengers weren't aware of it or
weren't interested in quiet seclusion. Great for a nap, reading a book,
dozing in the sun or whatever. About 1/2 of it was shaded.
Then they started piping the music in....
sigh