children on carnival cruise

Old April 18th, 2008, 06:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ronald Daugherty

Default children on carnival cruise

I have a grandchild that is six years old has a lot of medical problems,
has a fever quiet often,has had tubes put in his ears not long ago,gets
sick at his stomach easily,can't stay away from his mother overnight
without crying,but her ex wants to take him on a carnival cruise for
two weeks ,the thing is my daughter or me wouldn't care at all if he
went if only he was a little older and not so sick all the time.I Like
my ex. son in-law and I know he loves his son very very much .The boy
doesn't want to go,but the father insist that he go.Does anyone have an
opinion on weather he should be forced or should his dad wait until he
gets a little older or should my grandson,the only one I have decides if
he wants to go or not.VERY WORRIED

Old April 18th, 2008, 07:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 4/18/2008 1:51 AM Ronald Daugherty plucked Senior Frog's Magic
Twanger and said:
I have a grandchild that is six years old has a lot of medical problems,
has a fever quiet often,has had tubes put in his ears not long ago,gets
sick at his stomach easily,can't stay away from his mother overnight
without crying,but her ex wants to take him on a carnival cruise for
two weeks ,the thing is my daughter or me wouldn't care at all if he
went if only he was a little older and not so sick all the time.I Like
my ex. son in-law and I know he loves his son very very much .The boy
doesn't want to go,but the father insist that he go.Does anyone have an
opinion on weather he should be forced or should his dad wait until he
gets a little older or should my grandson,the only one I have decides if
he wants to go or not.VERY WORRIED

Call your friendly Travel Agent tell her about the boy, and ask her to
give a realistic workup for the costs of an Emergency Medical
Evacuation. Have her also explain that if the boy gets sick and the
ship's doctor determines that he is not fit to sail both of you will be
put off at the next port and get minimal assistance in finding medical care.

Something else you can do, is ask your daughter to take her son to his
pediatrician for a pre - cruise physical and determine if he is fit to
travel. If he isn't fit to travel, end of story.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old April 18th, 2008, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

(Ronald Daugherty) wrote:

I have a grandchild that is six years old has a lot of medical problems,
has a fever quiet often,has had tubes put in his ears not long ago,gets
sick at his stomach easily,can't stay away from his mother overnight
without crying,but her ex wants to take him on a carnival cruise for
two weeks ,the thing is my daughter or me wouldn't care at all if he
went if only he was a little older and not so sick all the time.I Like
my ex. son in-law and I know he loves his son very very much .The boy
doesn't want to go,but the father insist that he go.Does anyone have an
opinion on weather he should be forced or should his dad wait until he
gets a little older or should my grandson,the only one I have decides if
he wants to go or not.VERY WORRIED

I am also a grandmother and my opinion is that you should let the
parents deal with this and stay out of it.

Tubes in his ears is not a deal breaker for traveling on a cruise, and
it is not fair to talk to the boy about how sick he will be or about
him to other people about how sick he is because this will prejudice
him against the trip so that he doesn't want to go.

It sounds to me as if he has a lot of anxieties which are making him
sick. If he didn't have all this negative energy coming from you (and
probably also his mother), he might have a wonderful time on the
cruise. Instead of obsessing about the possibility of sickness, you
should be emphasizing the good things about the trip.

Old April 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ivy League

Leave the kid at home.
If the child will require medical evac, it will interrupt the cruise for all
the passengers.
Furthermore, your grammar is atrocious !

I.V.

Old April 18th, 2008, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Ronald Daugherty wrote:
I have a grandchild that is six years old has a lot of medical problems,
has a fever quiet often,has had tubes put in his ears not long ago,gets
sick at his stomach easily,can't stay away from his mother overnight
without crying,but her ex wants to take him on a carnival cruise for
two weeks ,the thing is my daughter or me wouldn't care at all if he
went if only he was a little older and not so sick all the time.I Like
my ex. son in-law and I know he loves his son very very much .The boy
doesn't want to go,but the father insist that he go.Does anyone have an
opinion on weather he should be forced or should his dad wait until he
gets a little older or should my grandson,the only one I have decides if
he wants to go or not.VERY WORRIED

How does your daughter feel about her son going on this cruise with his
father? Before the father can take his son out of the country, he will
need a notarized letter from the other parent giving permission. I
personally think a two week cruise is too long for a first cruise, esp
in this situation.

sue

Old April 18th, 2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

sue mullen wrote:

Ronald Daugherty wrote:.

snipDoes anyone have an
opinion on weather he should be forced or should his dad wait until he
gets a little older or should my grandson,the only one I have decides if
he wants to go or not.VERY WORRIED

The fact that you have put it in those terms - FORCED to go, indicates
to me that you want only one answer and that is that he should not be
forced to go.

How does your daughter feel about her son going on this cruise with his
father? Before the father can take his son out of the country, he will
need a notarized letter from the other parent giving permission.

This is not quite true. My mother traveled with my children, and when
she did I always gave her a letter of permission. And...

I have now started traveling with my grandchildren and I get the same
permissions from their parents.

The first boy (my son's child, so he has the same last name as me, and
his dad has the same name as my husband since he was named after his
father) went to Ireland and England with me. The only time I was
asked for a permission letter (which I did have) was when we changed
planes in Heathrow, at which point we were already out of the US. I
was not asked at EWR.

The second boy was my daughter's child, so he did NOT have the same
last name. His parents gave me a notarized permission letter and
also a health care power of attorney (his dad is a lawyer). We flew
from Miami to Madrid to Barcelona where we were to get on the ship.

They did not ask for any authorization in Miami but that was probably
because my daughter is an airline pilot, and she was there with us in
uniform. But they didn't ask for ANYTHING when we got on the ship
except for his passport.

http://a607.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...b4147be9a6.jpg

And most of the stuff that came to the cabin came in his name rather
than mine, even though I was paying and it was my name on the credit
card.

We got off the ship in Venice and flew back to Madrid and then to
Miami. At NO POINT in the trip did anyone ask me for any
authorization for this boy. The only time anyone said anything at all
was in Madrid - each time he went through security he set off the
beeper. Each time they would ask how old he was, and then look at the
passport to confirm. Then they would ask my permission to search him.
They didn't use the wand - they patted him down.

I don't know why he set off the alarm at this airport and not any
other one (Miami, or Venice), or what it was that set it off. This
was what he was wearing the first time

http://a134.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...478f0d22dd.jpg

And this was the second time

http://a33.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/...87f6b34580.jpg

personally think a two week cruise is too long for a first cruise, esp
in this situation.

That's probably a good judgment.
Old April 18th, 2008, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Rosalie B. wrote:
sue mullen wrote:

How does your daughter feel about her son going on this cruise with his
father? Before the father can take his son out of the country, he will
need a notarized letter from the other parent giving permission.

This is not quite true. My mother traveled with my children, and when
she did I always gave her a letter of permission. And...

I have now started traveling with my grandchildren and I get the same
permissions from their parents.

HUGE SNIP

Your mother traveled with your children long before 9/11 and things were
different then. Even though when you traveled with your grandchildren
you were never asked for the notarized letter, that doesn't mean no one
will ever be asked for authorization to take a child out of the country.

sue
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

sue mullen wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:
sue mullen wrote:

How does your daughter feel about her son going on this cruise with his
father? Before the father can take his son out of the country, he will
need a notarized letter from the other parent giving permission.

This is not quite true. My mother traveled with my children, and when
she did I always gave her a letter of permission. And...

I have now started traveling with my grandchildren and I get the same
permissions from their parents.

HUGE SNIP

Your mother traveled with your children long before 9/11 and things were
different then.

Yes, but she went to some kind of tricky places - with my second
daughter, she went behind the Iron Curtain to East Berlin and almost
got arrested for taking a picture of the East German side of the wall
(she always insisted that I have a current passport when she went -
just in case).

With the third child, she went to Red China in 1980 right after Nixon
opened up travel there, and she also went to Hong Kong and Taiwan (she
and my daughter had two passports so that Taiwan wouldn't know that
she'd been to Red China and v.v.). So things were different, but
that doesn't mean that they were Disneyland like.

Even though when you traveled with your grandchildren
you were never asked for the notarized letter, that doesn't mean no one
will ever be asked for authorization to take a child out of the country.

sue

I am not saying that one should not get that authorization because if
they DO ask you will be up a creek without a paddle if you don't have
it. But I would NOT rely on the security at the airport or port to
prevent kidnapping or to keep this child's father from taking the
cruise without his mother's permission.

My last two trips were June 2007 and March-April 2008. So certainly
after 9-11. And when I was asked for the authorization in Heathrow
(in mid trip), I let him look at it, and then I said - "What would you
do if I didn't have this? Have him travel on without me? Keep him or
us here?" Because the place to ask is before you leave the country,
not after you've left.

Old April 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Rosalie B. wrote:
sue mullen wrote:

Your mother traveled with your children long before 9/11 and things were
different then.

Yes, but she went to some kind of tricky places - with my second
daughter, she went behind the Iron Curtain to East Berlin and almost
got arrested for taking a picture of the East German side of the wall
(she always insisted that I have a current passport when she went -
just in case).

With the third child, she went to Red China in 1980 right after Nixon
opened up travel there, and she also went to Hong Kong and Taiwan (she
and my daughter had two passports so that Taiwan wouldn't know that
she'd been to Red China and v.v.). So things were different, but
that doesn't mean that they were Disneyland like.

What I am saying is that back then there was not the fear of kidnapping
that there is now. Nowadays there are many cases of one parent taking a
child out of the country, never to be seen again.

Even though when you traveled with your grandchildren
you were never asked for the notarized letter, that doesn't mean no one
will ever be asked for authorization to take a child out of the country.

sue

I am not saying that one should not get that authorization because if
they DO ask you will be up a creek without a paddle if you don't have
it.

Exactly right, better safe then sorry!!

But I would NOT rely on the security at the airport or port to
prevent kidnapping or to keep this child's father from taking the
cruise without his mother's permission.

True, but the mother refusing to sign a note, might make the father
change his mind.

sue
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

I think he should not force the child to go on a cruise,wait til he is a
little older,and he will enjoy it more,and there is no way to compensate
a child that gets very homesick if they are on a cruise ship.And if he
misses his mother that much it will only make him sicker.
Also where has this ex, been during the childs 6 years?

cruise lover