Cell phone for snow bird

Old September 14th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Paul

Default Cell phone for snow bird

Getting to be that time of year when an old man's thoughts turn to
warmer pastures in the south. In previous years we've taken our Telus
Mobility (B.C.) phone with us and have paid dearly in some cases for
roaming charges, in some cases as high as $6.00 per day. Now I'm
thinking of getting one of the U.S. cell phone providers for the time
we're south of the border, preferably one that would allow roaming in
the western U.S. (CA, NV, AZ, NM, etc.) without exorbitant additional
charges. A U.S. mailing address would be no problem.

What I'm after is a plan that would not require a long-term contract,
nor do I require a "free" phone. I'm not all that concerned with the
amount of minutes/month as much as being able to be reached. A
reasonable long-distance rate plan would also be a plus, but I'd be
willing to use phone cards if necessary.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Paul

Old September 14th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Hatunen

On 14 Sep 2003 21:42:18 GMT, Brian Elfert
wrote:

Don't get a phone from T-Mobile as they often don't work at all outside of
larger cities or off of major highways.

On the other hand you get 1000 anytime minutes per month with
free roaming and long distance from T-Mobile.

Old September 14th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Brian Elfert

Paul writes:

thinking of getting one of the U.S. cell phone providers for the time
we're south of the border, preferably one that would allow roaming in
the western U.S. (CA, NV, AZ, NM, etc.) without exorbitant additional
charges. A U.S. mailing address would be no problem.

If you are going to be off the beaten track much, you'll need a plan that
offers free roaming on both digital and analog. Verizon Wireless has the
National Singlerate plan. AT&T Wireless has a similiar plan. Do not get
the America's Choice plan from Verizon Wireless as most areas with analog
service are not covered, and this is a lot out west. Cingular might have
a similar plan.

Don't get a phone from T-Mobile as they often don't work at all outside of
larger cities or off of major highways.

What I'm after is a plan that would not require a long-term contract,
nor do I require a "free" phone. I'm not all that concerned with the
amount of minutes/month as much as being able to be reached. A

If you want to pay full price for a phone, any of the providers should be
able to accomodate your need for no contract.

Many plans include long distance these days. The plans mentioned above
do.

Brian Elfert
Old September 14th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Chip

Paul wrote:

What I'm after is a plan that would not require a long-term contract,
nor do I require a "free" phone. I'm not all that concerned with the
amount of minutes/month as much as being able to be reached. A
reasonable long-distance rate plan would also be a plus, but I'd be
willing to use phone cards if necessary.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Virgin phones (http://www.virginmobileusa.com) use the Sprint network
and require no contact. You can buy the phone at any Circuit City and
buy a $20 phone card to load time on it. Calls are .25/min for the
first 10 minutes in a day, and .10/min thereafter. You have to buy at
least one $20 card per quarter to keep your phone number activated.
Cards are available at drugstores, record stores, and some supermarkets.

When you activate the phone, just pick a zip code of one of the places
you'll be and it will assign you a phone number local to that zip code.
No billing address is necessary. I think having a basic cell service
for $80/yr is a bargain.
Old September 15th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Please invert everything left of the @ to reply

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:22:16 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

AT&T appear to be interested in your business. FFM

However, ATT Wireless
attws.com
has two systems in the US - TDMA and GSM.

Try to avoid GSM as GSM coverage is scarce outside major metro areas. TDMA
has much better coverage - but, the best thing to do is to ask folks where
you will be staying if they have cellphones. If so, ask which cellular
company, if ATTWS which model of phone (so you can determine if they are on
TDMA or GSM) and how well it works.

--
Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.
Old September 15th, 2003, 02:44 AM
Claude Marcil

You might check Bell Canada's Digital North American 200 plan at:

http://www.bell.ca/shop/application/commercewf?origin=cellphone_rateplan_advisor_shell .jsp&event=link(productDetail)&evo_productType=PHO NE&wlcs_catalog_item_sku=GJ_ABBC

It offers 200 minutes anytime from anywhere to anywhere in North America
for 70 $ CDN a month.

"Paul @dowco.com" "momiremove wrote in message
[...]

---

Old September 15th, 2003, 03:07 AM
Frank F. Matthews

The problem with that suggestion is that few folks have looked at cell
phones other than on an annual contract basis. They are inexperienced.
All I was trying to suggest is that AT&T appears to have plans that do
not require a long contract. FFM

Old September 15th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Dave Anthony

[...]

http://www.tracfone.com Go there and type in a zip code to check coverage.
No contract and most likey works south of the border because it's sold at
all the truck stops for drivers.

Dave

Old September 15th, 2003, 01:13 PM
GCosta

http://www.tracfone.com Go there and type in a zip code to check coverage.
No contract and most likey works south of the border because it's sold at
all the truck stops for drivers.

You might first dejagoogle for tracfone to read the customer service
horror stories. I wish I had.

I've had their fully paid-up phone go stone dead. Good luck getting
through to a human on the 800 line. Once I finished up the time on
mine, I threw it away.