Alternative dining

Old January 15th, 2004, 03:59 AM
Dick Goldhaber

Default Alternative dining

With all of the ships offering alternative dining options, how does this
effect how you tip your dining room staff?

Do you now penalize your waiter, busboy, table captain and wine steward
because you choose to eat in another venue?

Did we overtip our dining room staff last year because we chose to dine at
Pinnacle one night, and had another dinner away as suite passengers?

Given the options these days, how do you tip?
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old January 15th, 2004, 04:13 AM
HDawson228

I always tip at least the suggest amount. Remember the dining room staff also
works the buffet area for lunch and breakfast so they are still serving you.
It's such a small amount for the quality of service I've always had.
Old January 15th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Warren H. Davis

Given the options these days, how do you tip?

It'll be a moot point as more of the cruise lines adopt the pooled automatic
gratuities charged to your cabin.

Mark my words, it'll happen on HAL within the next 2-3 years.

Warren

remove the drink to email Y
Old January 15th, 2004, 09:08 AM

"Dick Goldhaber" wrote in message ...
With all of the ships offering alternative dining options, how does this
effect how you tip your dining room staff?

Do you now penalize your waiter, busboy, table captain and wine steward
because you choose to eat in another venue?

Did we overtip our dining room staff last year because we chose to dine at
Pinnacle one night, and had another dinner away as suite passengers?

Given the options these days, how do you tip?

Decisions, decisions,. maybe i was one of the lucky ones who paid the
tips upfront on purchasing the tickets. I have been told by another
list person that this is common when you buy tickets over seas.
cheers
Old January 15th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Warren H. Davis

See! I *told* you so! ;-)

Warren -- usually skips over tipping threads and must have missed the news.

Hi Warren,

It is part of HAL's new program that has already been announced.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Old January 15th, 2004, 09:55 PM

Given the options these days, how do you tip?

Our family of four just returned last weekend from a 10-day Tahitian
Princess cruise during which we dined one night at Sabatinis and
another at the Steak House. Both experiences were wonderful (although
our just-turned-15-year-old son was bemused by some of the selections
at Sabatinis!), largely because of the efforts of the waiter and his
assistant. We asked for a separate gratuity chit at the end of the
meal, specified the amount we wanted to tip and it was processed like
any other purchase onboard.

In addition to the gratuities added to the account, we also gave a bit
extra to our DR waiter and assistant as the service really did exceed
our expectations.