Belize City, Belize

Old April 16th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Crescent

Default Belize City, Belize

Are there any MUST SEE things in Belize? This will be my first time
in this port.

If so, what is the best way to see to see them? My family and I have
found that the pre-arranged excursions are not always the way to go.
What is the best way to go with Belize?
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Cruising Chrissy

The Not So Fine Art Of Google - Go To Top Of Thread
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E29A321E6
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Luv2travel

We have been to Belize twice in the last two years by ship. The first timewe
went with Reggie's cave tubing. It was an awesome experience and we were more
than happy with the whole experience. The second time we had an infant with us
so we booked with Coral Breeze and did the snorkeling excursion. Once again it
was great. Both times had a lunch that was typical for the country and
delicious. Both times we paid less than the ships excursion and both times we
were back in time to do a little shopping. The first time got to see Belize
inland and the second got to see some totally awesome islands and the barrier
reef and stingrays, dolphin, and white shark. Love Belize!!!!!!!!! If
interested go to Regtour.com or Coralbreezelimited.com
Old April 16th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Howie

Crescent wrote:
Are there any MUST SEE things in Belize? This will be my first time
in this port.

Belize is really a very interesting and beautiful country.
Unfortunately, there really isn't time to see much during a one-day
cruise ship visit. My recommendation for a great family outing would be
cave tubing with Reggie.

Howie

Old April 18th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Becca

Crescent wrote:
Are there any MUST SEE things in Belize? This will be my first time
in this port.

Most excursions in Belize are visiting Mayan ruins or they are water
related activities; snorkeling, diving, tubing.

I have visited two Mayan ruins, Lamanai and Xunatunich. I went
snorkeling at Goff's Cay and I have gone cave tubing. You can find a
few shore excursions here. http://www.regtour.com/

Becca -----loved the cave tubing...

Norwegian Dawn http://www.cruisemaster.com/dawn.htm
Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/

Old April 18th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Debbie

You may want to check out the Belize Tourist Board which can sometimes be helpful:
www.travelbelize.org

Debbie

Old April 18th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Mike Quint

You can walk to an old British prison, which is next to the US consulate. It
shows the history of the prison and there are photos of things that have
happened in Belize and/or British Honduras. Very good shots of Hurricane
damage.
Mike

Old April 20th, 2004, 02:42 AM
Thomas Smith

I just got back from Belize. I did a tour to Altum Ha. It was a good tour,
although it was a four hour tour, and we were on the bus for about three of
them. I talked with a lot of people who went cave tubing. They said it was
also a great tour, but on that one expect about three to four hours total on
a bus, with a good hike in the jungle, too. Other than the immediate port
area, walking around Belize City is not a good idea. The city is extremely
poor by US standards, and there really isn't much to see in the city anyway.

Tom Smith

Old April 21st, 2004, 01:14 AM
Grey Wolf

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 01:42:33 GMT, "Thomas Smith"
-NO-SPAM wrote:

I just got back from Belize. I did a tour to Altum Ha. It was a good tour,
although it was a four hour tour, and we were on the bus for about three of
them. I talked with a lot of people who went cave tubing. They said it was
also a great tour, but on that one expect about three to four hours total on
a bus, with a good hike in the jungle, too. Other than the immediate port
area, walking around Belize City is not a good idea. The city is extremely
poor by US standards, and there really isn't much to see in the city anyway.

Tom Smith

We just got back last week from our 4/4/04 cruise on Royal Caribbean's
Voyager/Seas. We did Cave Tubing in Belize, originally with Coral
Breeze, but they didn't make our early arrival, so Marvin with Eco
Tours Belize (http://www.ecotoursbelize.com/packages.html) took us.

It took us only an hour of driving, so about 2 hours total spent in
the van that seated 10 comfortably. Nice small group compared to the
huge amounts of folks that we saw coming after us.

The jungle hike was not too tough at all, mostly flat walking, and I
am not in shape, so that should mean something. We did feel that we
were constantly rushed, though... the river didn't move that fast so
you had to paddle a lot. I would've loved to spend the whole day just
floating down the river... without the 100's of people that would plow
me over, of course. :-)

Just be careful doing an independent tour in Belize... if you have 8
hours in port (really, only 7.5 hours because ship has "last tender"
at 30 minutes before leaving), you might be taking a risk. We lucked
out; our ship's "cave tubing" tour bus was broken down on our way
back, so we knew we'd make it back before they did, and even if we
were late our ship wouldn't leave because it'd be waiting for them.

We really enjoyed our trip due to the small group, enjoyable
surroundings, and good food even! (The BBQ chicken was great!)

I think next time (yep, I think there will be a next time!) I would
like to do the Lamanai ruin, which I think involves a river boat ride.
David