Croatian bees sniff out landmines

Old May 30th, 2007, 10:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Geen Uitzending

Default Croatian bees sniff out landmines

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6701517.stm

Croatian bees sniff out landmines
By Nicholas Walton
BBC News, Zagreb

Test bees
The bees are trained to associate explosives with food
A new technique to help find unexploded landmines using honey bees is
being developed at Zagreb University in Croatia.

"We started this because our citizens are exposed to serious risks
with mines," explains Professor Nikola Kezic, as honey bees buzz
around his head.

"Luckily we also have a long tradition of keeping bees and making
honey. Our solution makes use of what we have."

Croatia, like Bosnia-Hercegovina and the other countries of the former
Yugoslavia, has a big landmine problem, inherited from the wars of the
1990s.

More than 1,000 sq km (380 sq miles) of Croatian countryside are
thought to be contaminated by the mines.

About 250,000 mines are still buried, and more than 100 people have
been killed by them in Croatia since 1998.

Old May 30th, 2007, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Geen Uitzending wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6701517.stm

Croatian bees sniff out landmines
By Nicholas Walton
BBC News, Zagreb

Test bees
The bees are trained to associate explosives with food
A new technique to help find unexploded landmines using honey bees is
being developed at Zagreb University in Croatia.

The generally ignored crisis of the diminishing honey bee
population (and its potentially catastrophic effect on world
food supplies) isn't enough? Now someone has come up with
an idea designed to eliminate more of them? (We're not
talking just sticky sweet stuff, here - bees account for a
very high proportion of crop pollinization, without which
harvests don't happen.)
Old May 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Viking

On 30 May 2007 02:33:56 -0700, Geen Uitzending
wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6701517.stm

Croatian bees sniff out landmines
By Nicholas Walton
BBC News, Zagreb

Test bees
The bees are trained to associate explosives with food

So that's what's been happening to the bees--
"Hey guys, food!"
Bzzzzzz
BAM.