KLM pulling out of BHX (Birmingham, UK)?

Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:13 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Martin Sylvester

Default KLM pulling out of BHX (Birmingham, UK)?

Just had a marketing email from KLM with the subject "Dear Martin, this is
your last chance to Break Away from Birmingham" with exhortations to book
today, and a footnote "Book before 31 January 2008. Travel periods may
vary."

Is this KLM's last season flying from BHX?

Martin.

--
11(F) Group Ops room - the Battle of Britain Bunker
I do not intend to imply that any views expressed above represent the policy

Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:21 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 17:13:55 on
Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Martin Sylvester
remarked:
Just had a marketing email from KLM with the subject "Dear Martin, this is
your last chance to Break Away from Birmingham" with exhortations to book
today, and a footnote "Book before 31 January 2008. Travel periods may
vary."

Is this KLM's last season flying from BHX?

Or just the end of some "Special Offer" period?

The flights seem well patronised when I've used them - and I was looking
at booking one a week ago, and the price was something outrageous like
£500 return, which surely must reflect that they are oversubscribed.
--
Roland Perry
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:35 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Martin Sylvester

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
[...]

Or just the end of some "Special Offer" period?

I wondered, but wouldn't that be expressed something like, "Last chance to
break away from Birmingham at these prices"?

Oh, wait. It *was* personalised with my name in the subject field. Maybe
they know I'm a pauper, and they're saying, "This is the last chance *you*
will have to break away from Birmingham, 'cos when these offers end it'll be
out of your price range, boyo."

You may be onto something, Roland.

Martin.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:02 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air, rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On 23 Jan, 17:13, "Martin Sylvester" remove-before-
wrote:
Just had a marketing email from KLM with the subject "Dear Martin, this is
your last chance to Break Away from Birmingham" with exhortations to book
today, and a footnote "Book before 31 January 2008. Travel periods may
vary."

Is this KLM's last season flying from BHX?

Much more likely would be BA pulling out (if not already) to make way
for KLM and Lufthansa.

Not sure why BA (and latterly BA disconnect) are so abysmal with short-
haul, maybe those BAe 145s are just too uneconomic.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:48 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message
, at
11:02:19 on Wed, 23 Jan 2008, remarked:
Much more likely would be BA pulling out (if not already) to make way
for KLM and Lufthansa.

BA sold their regional airline business to Flybe over a year ago.
--
Roland Perry
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Neil Williams[_2_]

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:35:17 -0000, "Martin Sylvester"
wrote:

You may be onto something, Roland.

He likely is - I got one saying "Your last chance to break away from
London", and I would be amazed if KLM were to pull out of both LHR and
LCY.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Frank

isn“t everyone wanting to leave birmingham? ;-)

bye

frank

http://tvc15.blogs.com/

Old January 24th, 2008, 08:00 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
William Black

wrote:
Just had a marketing email from KLM with the subject "Dear Martin, this
is
your last chance to Break Away from Birmingham" with exhortations to book
today, and a footnote "Book before 31 January 2008. Travel periods may
vary."

Is this KLM's last season flying from BHX?

Much more likely would be BA pulling out (if not already) to make way
for KLM and Lufthansa.

Not sure why BA (and latterly BA disconnect) are so abysmal with short-
haul, maybe those BAe 145s are just too uneconomic.

Within the UK flying has become a 'not very nice' option with long check-in
delays and invasive security.

Anywhere south of Newcastle and it's faster to take the train to London...

So anyone operating UK domestic flights is having a hard time making any
money.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 29th, 2008, 04:16 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
me[_9_]

wrote:

You may be onto something, Roland.

He likely is - I got one saying "Your last chance to break away from
London", and I would be amazed if KLM were to pull out of both LHR and
LCY.

KLM have plans to use their LHR slots for LHR USA routes
Old January 29th, 2008, 06:43 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Lansbury

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:16:10 +0100, me wrote:

KLM have plans to use their LHR slots for LHR USA routes

Not all of them and AF/KLM also plan to try and use some of AF slots currently
used for flights to Paris for US routes
--
Lansbury (Retired)
www.uk-air.net