Seal hunting again

Old April 8th, 2010, 11:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_3_]

Default Seal hunting again

Hello All!

Usually, I rather approve of Canada but not the brutal killing of Harp
Seal pups and I see they are at it again this year, damn them!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old April 9th, 2010, 03:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

James Silverton wrote:
Hello All!

Usually, I rather approve of Canada but not the brutal killing of Harp
Seal pups and I see they are at it again this year, damn them!

Seal pups are cute. If they looked like lobsters most people wouldn't
think twice about dropping them into a big pot of boiling water.
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

James Silverton wrote:
Usually, I rather approve of Canada but not the brutal killing of Harp
Seal pups and I see they are at it again this year, damn them!

Are you a vegetarian? If not, why do you not oppose the brutal killing
of cows, pigs, and chickens? Are they not cute enough?

I have not eaten farm raised meat in more than a decade. But I do eat
wild hunted meat when the opportunity arises, and would happily give
seal meat a try if I could.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_3_]

"Király" wrote on Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:32:50 GMT:

James Silverton wrote:
Usually, I rather approve of Canada but not the brutal
killing of Harp Seal pups and I see they are at it again this
year, damn them!

Are you a vegetarian? If not, why do you not oppose the
brutal killing of cows, pigs, and chickens? Are they not cute
enough?

I have not eaten farm raised meat in more than a decade. But
I do eat wild hunted meat when the opportunity arises, and
would happily give seal meat a try if I could.

Oh don't be Petaceously ridiculous and hide your vegetarianism!
Clubbing to death is a bit different from reasonably expeditiously
killing animals.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old April 14th, 2010, 01:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:32:50 GMT, Király wrote:
James Silverton wrote:
Usually, I rather approve of Canada but not the brutal killing of Harp
Seal pups and I see they are at it again this year, damn them!

Are you a vegetarian? If not, why do you not oppose the brutal killing
of cows, pigs, and chickens? Are they not cute enough?

I have not eaten farm raised meat in more than a decade. But I do eat
wild hunted meat when the opportunity arises, and would happily give
seal meat a try if I could.

I think the bigger problem is the raising of large numbers of
animals in absolute squalor, never even to be able to
walk around, standing in their own execrement than how they are executed.
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

AZ Nomad wrote:
I think the bigger problem is the raising of large numbers of
animals in absolute squalor, never even to be able to
walk around, standing in their own execrement than how they are executed.

Exactly. Another reason is the amount of good agricultural land that is
used to grow animal feed. How many pounds of grain must be grown,
transported, and fed to a pig, in order to produce one pound of pork?
Couldn't that land be used to grow food for people instead? Meat
from wild animals that get ther food from the wilderness does not have
this problem.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

James Silverton wrote:
Oh don't be Petaceously ridiculous and hide your vegetarianism!

Hide? I have nothing to hide. I already said that I don't eat it
unless it is wild. Unfortunately wild meat is not available for
purchase in the supermarket, except for fish, which I eat several times
a week.

Clubbing to death is a bit different from reasonably expeditiously
killing animals.

The way that wild seals are killed and the way farm animals are killed
today really is not that much different.

I, with a clearer conscience, will eat meat from a hunted wild animal
that lived its life in its own habitat, than eat meat from a farm animal
that was tortured for its whole life.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:15:23 GMT, Király wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
I think the bigger problem is the raising of large numbers of
animals in absolute squalor, never even to be able to
walk around, standing in their own execrement than how they are executed.

Exactly. Another reason is the amount of good agricultural land that is
used to grow animal feed. How many pounds of grain must be grown,
transported, and fed to a pig, in order to produce one pound of pork?
Couldn't that land be used to grow food for people instead? Meat
from wild animals that get ther food from the wilderness does not have
this problem.

Meat is fine in moderation. However, the size of the modern american portion is
obscene. Case in point, we buy steaks at costco. A single steak from costco is
about 16oz. I cut it down the middle and grill it. It feeds my wife and I, and
leaves 1/3 of it as leftovers for us for sandwiches.

We've started really increasing the amount of vegies we eat (we buy
from a coop called bountifulbaskets.org). We still eat meat, but it
never amounts to more than 25% of a meal.
Old April 18th, 2010, 04:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

Király wrote:
James Silverton wrote:
Oh don't be Petaceously ridiculous and hide your vegetarianism!

Hide? I have nothing to hide. I already said that I don't eat it
unless it is wild. Unfortunately wild meat is not available for
purchase in the supermarket, except for fish, which I eat several times
a week.

Clubbing to death is a bit different from reasonably expeditiously
killing animals.

The way that wild seals are killed and the way farm animals are killed
today really is not that much different.

I, with a clearer conscience, will eat meat from a hunted wild animal
that lived its life in its own habitat, than eat meat from a farm animal
that was tortured for its whole life.

I have a friend who raises his own beef. He won't eat veal because of
the conditions under which veal cows are raised.