amsterdam and skiing

Old January 17th, 2006, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default amsterdam and skiing

my friend and I are going to be in amsterdam for 3 days in feb, as
opposed to a day in the museum or the cafes we were thinking of a real
early AM train down into either the french or german alps, ski all day
and get the train back on the same day, and then do some serious late
nite canal walking....it would be my friends birthday, and I cant
imagine a better way to ring it in!!!

Any suggestions on a train route that could get us to a slope for early
AM and headed back to amsterdam in the evening? I know it is probably
a long time on the train, but I hear those space cakes can put a quite
a hit on you, so the time on the train should be a blast!!

Chuck

Old January 17th, 2006, 06:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Are you serious? Have a look at a map.

Old January 17th, 2006, 05:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote in message
oups.com...
my friend and I are going to be in amsterdam for 3 days in feb, as
opposed to a day in the museum or the cafes we were thinking of a real
early AM train down into either the french or german alps, ski all day
and get the train back on the same day, and then do some serious late
nite canal walking....it would be my friends birthday, and I cant
imagine a better way to ring it in!!!

This must be the maddest idea that anyone has ever suggested
on this group.

tim

Old January 17th, 2006, 07:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

so it looks like we are going to get the first train in the AM out of
amsterdam and then switch up in paris and take the little southern ski
run on the thalys train.....it leaves less time on the slopes that we
would like, but an after ski climb up the eiffel tower is going to make
for an eventful day if we take that route....

we are not necasarily "dead set" on the alps and nothing else.....so if
anyone has a suggestion or 2 on a different area, maybe central
germany, we are open to options....I am not terribly familiar with the
landscape, its been many years, and I cant find a map that places ski
resorts by location, so I am looking for any help!!

Chuck

Old January 17th, 2006, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

This must be the maddest idea that anyone has ever suggested
on this group.

if I told you about some of our US road trips, this would be relatively
tame.......and considering we arent do the driving, the train ride will
be a time and a half in itself......we arent to into the art museums,
and plan to go hells bells in 72 hours in so far as touring A-dam by
foot, so we figure a day off on the train is going to be a great
compliment to our visit....

Chuck