What Caribbean Island compares to Hawaii?

Old March 8th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Beach Time Right Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default What Caribbean Island compares to Hawaii?

I think you'll find that the Caribbean is fundamentally different from
Hawaii. The first time I went to the Caribbean, I compared it to Hawaii and
was very disappointed - it is not as clean, as prosperous, and the begging
can get very old. Once I adjusted my expectations it was great. An
all-inclusive resort at St. Lucia would be a good start. Guadaloupe is a
slice of France, with some pretty spectacular scenery on the Garnde Terre
side.

"Gary Vocks" wrote in message
news
My wife and I have visited Hawaii and love it. However, I would like to
take her to the Caribbean and I am wondering if any island or islands are
comparable to Hawaii. We'd be looking for similar weather and flora and
fauna and friendly people? Any suggestions?

TIA

Old March 8th, 2004, 10:36 AM
R J Carpenter

"Beach Time Right Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
wrote in message
I think you'll find that the Caribbean is fundamentally different from
Hawaii. The first time I went to the Caribbean, I compared it to Hawaii

and
was very disappointed - it is not as clean, as prosperous, and the begging
can get very old. Once I adjusted my expectations it was great. An
all-inclusive resort at St. Lucia would be a good start. Guadaloupe is a
slice of France, with some pretty spectacular scenery on the Garnde Terre
side.

And I don't find begging on the French islands. They also have a higher
standard of living than the rest of the Lesser Antilles due to large
subsidies from mainland France. It's not like Hawaii, though. Nothing to
compare with Waikiki and its dozens of high-rise hotels.

Old March 8th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

I think it is a FATAL mistake to try to get 'the same' experience as
you have had in Hawaii. You will inevitably be disappointed by
unfairly comparing two places that are different. I'd rather see you
ask where you could have a tropical experience as different from
Hawaii as possible.

"Gary Vocks" wrote in message
news
My wife and I have visited Hawaii and love it. However, I would like to
take her to the Caribbean and I am wondering if any island or islands are
comparable to Hawaii. We'd be looking for similar weather and flora and
fauna and friendly people? Any suggestions?

TIA

Friendly people are everywhere - whether you find friendly people
depends more on you than on them IME.

The Caribbean is only similar to Hawaii in that they are both
tropical. There are some types of vegetation (palm trees etc) that
will be the same, and there are some fish and coral that will be
similar. Hawaii is basically an English speaking place and many of
the Caribbean islands are not, and that is going to change the
experience you have.

How boring it would be if everything was the same - even if they are
nice places. Even fraternal twins are different from each other.

grandma Rosalie
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Kurt Ullman

In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

How boring it would be if everything was the same - even if they are
nice places. Even fraternal twins are different from each other.

Even IDENTICAL twins are different from each other...

--
I'd certainly be far more supportive of Bush's
"Axis of Evil" concept if he'd been honest about it
Old March 8th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Gary Vocks

Hi Everyone! Thanks very much for the replies and you've made some good
points. I realize that diversity and variety make life interesting and I
too wouldn't want all my vacations to be identical. I know that each of the
islands of Hawaii offer a different experience and we've enjoyed them all.
Even Waikiki with it's shops and galleries was okay.

Thanks, again.

Gary

Old March 8th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Caribbean Listener

Puerto Rico is as about close to Hawaii than any other island in the
Caribbean because of its high standard of living, rain forest, malls,
and beaches.