New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Road from Jackson

Old April 9th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Becky

Default New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Road from Jackson

We've just decided to head to Louisiana for a couple of days during the last
week of April. Because of flight schedules, we're flying into Jackson, MS
rather than Louisiana--we end up still getting to spend more time in New
Orleans. The arriving flight gets to Jackson at 10:15 Sunday morning, and
then we leave Jackson Wednesday night at 8:30.

Talking to people, we decided to spend time in both New Orleans & Baton
Rouge. We just decided to go today, so we're rushing to make reservations.
We were thinking of spending 2 nights in New Orleans and 1 in Baton Rouge.
That way we can be flexible enough to leave New Orleans on Tuesday morning
and have 2 days in Baton Rouge, or we can decide to drive to Baton Rouge
after spending Tuesday in New Orleans.

Things we've come up with to do today include: Jazz in New Orleans, Eating
in New Orleans, Riverboat Tour, Canal Street. What else? We're not really
into the club scene and would like some daytime things to do as well. We'd
like things that really personify the city of New Orleans.

In Baton Rouge, the swamp tours sounds interesting, and we'd like to tour
some of the plantation houses (any suggestions)? What else?

We're also up to stopping on the road between Jackson & New Orleans/Baton
Rouge, so any suggestions would be great!

Thanks for any help!

Becky

(If you respond via e-mail, please remove the nospams from my address)

Old April 10th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Skip Baton Rouge. If you really want plantation then stay at one.
There are several although most house you in outbuildings. I would skip
the riverboat tour and find Canal street dull. Try the garden district
if you exhaust the quarter. Park your car at the cheapest place you can
find after arrival and abandon it until you are ready to depart. I
would probably also reverse the itinerary beginning on the river and
moving to NO. FFM

Old April 10th, 2004, 03:57 AM
JamesStep

Jazz in New Orleans, Eating in New Orleans,
Riverboat Tour, Canal Street. What else? We're
not reallyinto the club scene and would like some
daytime things to do as well.

I'd strongly recommend Preservation Hall for jazz
http://www.preservationhall.com/, and there are
many other good spots.

I felt that the paddleboat riverboat tour was okay but
I wouldn't put it high on my list of things to do.

Take a leisurely stroll around the French Quarter.
We really enjoyed a guided tour by The Friends of the
Cabildo http://www.gnofn.org/~fcabildo/, which is
a non-profit museum organzation.

See the Garden District (a few miles from the French
Quarter); it's the part of town where you'll find 19th
century mansions. Walking tours are available, or get
a guidebook and do it on your own.

Enjoy a ride on the famous Saint Charles Street Trolley.

Tours are available of Mardi Gras World, the company that
constructs most of the floats used in Mardi Gras; it's actually
rather interesting. http://www.mardigrasworld.com/

Lots of good restaurants in New Orleans, but I'll let someone
else make recommendations in that area.

Several interesting plantations that you can tour near
New Orleans; one of the most popular is Oak Alley
http://www.oakalleyplantation.com, and another is
Laura Plantation http://www.lauraplantation.com/.

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old April 10th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Bill Pittman

In article ,
"Becky" wrote:

We've just decided to head to Louisiana for a couple of days during the last
week of April. Because of flight schedules, we're flying into Jackson, MS
rather than Louisiana--we end up still getting to spend more time in New
Orleans. [snip]

If you can go from Jackson to NO by way of the Pontchartrain Causeway,
it's interesting.

--
Bill Pittman; change for e-mail as indicated
Old April 10th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Marlene

Bill Pittman wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Becky" wrote:

We've just decided to head to Louisiana for a couple of days during the last
week of April. Because of flight schedules, we're flying into Jackson, MS
rather than Louisiana--we end up still getting to spend more time in New
Orleans. [snip]

If you can go from Jackson to NO by way of the Pontchartrain Causeway,
it's interesting.

Yes I recommend this also. My son has lived in Jackson for 26 years so
have gone down south for years. My husband and I always have to go and
cross this Causeway. Also Natchez is a must see if you are interested
in old plantations etc. Lafayette, La also a must for great cajun
music, food and history.

Marlene
Old April 11th, 2004, 12:30 AM

ttt

Old April 11th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Doug McClure

There are several tours leaving from New Orleans that combine a swamp
tour with a visit to a plantation for a day trip. Unfortunately I
don't remember the tour company we used, but they picked us up at our
B&B and drove us to a tour bus. The stop at the plantation included
lunch (included in the price of the tour).

DKM

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:14:04 -0400, "Becky"
wrote:

In Baton Rouge, the swamp tours sounds interesting, and we'd like to tour
some of the plantation houses (any suggestions)? What else?
Becky

(If you respond via e-mail, please remove the nospams from my address)

To contact me directly, send EMAIL to (single letters all)
DEE_KAY_EMM AT EarthLink.net. [For example .]
Old April 12th, 2004, 03:23 AM
The Gourleys

There is a free ferry (near the Riverwalk Mall) that takes you across the
river to Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World. They will pick you up in a van when
you get across the river because it is a crappy neighborhood, they also
return you afterwards. You can stay behind and stroll through some of the
warehouse after the tour. They make many of the floats for the parades on
Fat Tues. They tell you about the different Krewes that participate in the
parades and the history behind them.They have a few warehouses full of
stuff. It costs about $12,but it really is worth it.

You can take a hike with a ranger early in the morning. They will walk
through the French Quarter explaining the architcture of the buildings and
the history (they only take so many people and it is first come first
served - and you can't get a ticket and hold it for someone you have to be
present) . There are also walking tours from guides. I highly recommend the
Garden district walking tour. Fantastic homes and the woman really knows a
lot about the area.

Old April 12th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Teak

Forget Baton Rouge. Nothing really there except riverboat gambling (I wasn't impressed) and LSU. Not much of a down town.

Stay in New Orleans for your entire stay. Just my $.02worth.

-Teak
Old April 12th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Brian Wasson

New Orleans has their Jazz Fest at the end of April (April 23-May 2),
which usually means full hotels and higher prices. Depending on when
you are going, you may want to make your reservations now!

Brian W.
Philadelphia, Pa./USA