Calif Wine Country - wineries?

Old April 7th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Stuart

Default Calif Wine Country - wineries?

I'll be visiting Napa and Sonoma again for the first time in years and would
appreciate suggestions on good wineries to visit for tastings, tours,
scenery & grounds, wine bargains, etc. Many thanks, ~Stuart

Old April 7th, 2004, 04:51 AM
eric h

In article k.net,
Stuart wrote:

I'll be visiting Napa and Sonoma again for the first time in years and would
appreciate suggestions on good wineries to visit for tastings, tours,
scenery & grounds, wine bargains, etc.

I've been to Korbel's, Rodney Strong, and Clos du Bois. Korbel's was a
good tour, very informative, a bit touristy, but in a fun way. Rodney
Strong was much calmer--just you and the wines. Clos du Bois seems to
have a new visitors' center that I haven't been to yet, but the old one
was in Healdsburg, which seemed to be a nice town with at least one good
Mexican restaurant.

You don't get much in the way of bargains at the wineries, in my
experience, but you get to taste it and then buy it, which can save you a
bit of money by letting you buy the stuff you really like.

--
---
"I never had to pretend I felt the lyrics. I could always relate to the words."
Old April 7th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Don

Stuart wrote:

I'll be visiting Napa and Sonoma again for the first time in years and would
appreciate suggestions on good wineries to visit for tastings, tours,
scenery & grounds, wine bargains, etc. Many thanks, ~Stuart

If you are looking for bargains in the Napa and Sonoma regions you will
be disappointed. Most of their wines can be purchased a lot cheaper
elsewhere.

Don
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Rodney Boles

Don wrote in message ...
Stuart wrote:

I'll be visiting Napa and Sonoma again for the first time in years and would
appreciate suggestions on good wineries to visit for tastings, tours,
scenery & grounds, wine bargains, etc. Many thanks, ~Stuart

If you are looking for bargains in the Napa and Sonoma regions you will
be disappointed. Most of their wines can be purchased a lot cheaper
elsewhere.

You don't go there looking for bargains. You go there to try world
class wine
that you can't find in your local wine shop. It is a wonderful
experience.

I lived in the San Jose area briefly and would journey up on the
weekends
and explore the different wineries. By far my favorite overall area
was
the Russian River Valley, especially Westside Road. Some great small
wineries whose wines are unavailable here.
Old April 7th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Timo Saarto

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:55:37 GMT, "Stuart"
wrote:
I'll be visiting Napa and Sonoma again for the first time in years and would
appreciate suggestions on good wineries to visit for tastings, tours,
scenery & grounds, wine bargains, etc. Many thanks, ~Stuart

I've been several times to Rutherford Hill on the eastern side on Napa
Valley and been always pleased. No-nonsense approach by hosts (great
for impatient guys and excellent although quite pricey
mechandise...

www.rutherfordhill.com

Old April 7th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Hatunen

wrote:
I'll be visiting Napa and Sonoma again for the first time in years and would
appreciate suggestions on good wineries to visit for tastings, tours,
scenery & grounds, wine bargains, etc. Many thanks, ~Stuart

I've been several times to Rutherford Hill on the eastern side on Napa
Valley and been always pleased. No-nonsense approach by hosts (great
for impatient guys and excellent although quite pricey
mechandise...

www.rutherfordhill.com

I was very disappointed by the wines we tasted at Rutherford
Hill.

Old April 8th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Rodney Boles

Timo Saarto wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 11:04:42 -0600, Hatunen wrote:

I've been several times to Rutherford Hill on the eastern side on Napa
Valley and been always pleased. No-nonsense approach by hosts (great

I was very disappointed by the wines we tasted at Rutherford
Hill.

OK - YMMV ...

Of the wineries in this area, this was probably the best we visitted.
May have just
been a good day. They had several Reserve wines available to taste and
were very friendly.
Old April 8th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Stuart

Many, many thanks to all who've taken the time to write with suggestions!
They are much appreciated!
~Stuart

hlink.net...

Old April 9th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Webkatz

"Stuart" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I'll be visiting Napa and Sonoma again for the first time in years and

would
appreciate suggestions on good wineries to visit for tastings, tours,
scenery & grounds, wine bargains, etc. Many thanks, ~Stuart

Had a great time in Sonoma Valley last year - Viansa, Buena Vista, and
particularly Benzinger. Check out our trip report at
http://www.webkatz.net/US_Canada/SanFran.html

Dave