Nokia 3100 - work in Japan ?

Old March 27th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Casual Looker

Default Nokia 3100 - work in Japan ?

My phone company (Optus Australia) can do a good deal on Nokia 3100 and
assures me that it will work in Japan. The phone is supposed to be tri-band
GSM 900/1800/1900.

Can any **actual** user of this phone in Japan (Osaka in particular) confirm ?

I don't want to rely on the words of a call-centre operator - just to find out
otherwise. Japan will be a long way from home and would do no good to complain
there - even *if* I can find an Optus dealer there.

Many thanks,
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Alec

"Casual Looker" wrote in message
My phone company (Optus Australia) can do a good deal on Nokia 3100 and
assures me that it will work in Japan. The phone is supposed to be

tri-band
GSM 900/1800/1900.

Can any **actual** user of this phone in Japan (Osaka in particular)

confirm ?

I don't want to rely on the words of a call-centre operator - just to find

out
otherwise. Japan will be a long way from home and would do no good to

complain
there - even *if* I can find an Optus dealer there.

No. There is no GSM service in Japan. The only phone that will work is 3G
(Third Generation) in W-CDMA format. Nokia 6650 is a combined GSM/WCDMA
phone that will work in most countries in the world incl. Japan. The normal
2G system is native to Japan and incompatible with any other mobile system.

Alec

Old March 28th, 2004, 01:59 PM
thegoons

Further to Alec's statement, whilst the 6650 will work in Japan, my
understanding is that no Australian carriers have agreements to roam your
SIM card in Japan.

May I suggest that you lodge a complaint with the Telecommunications
Industry Ombudsman regarding Optus misrepresntations -
http://www.tio.com.au.

Note the following alternatives may be of use:

http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/airp...ex_mobile.html
http://www1.sonyfinance.co.jp/rental/rte_m_jp_e.htm
http://prekei-japan.com/
http://www.vodafone.jp/scripts/english/top.jsp