I'm a little overwhelmed...need advice for a romantic trip next year!

Old October 28th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Marty Christion

Default I'm a little overwhelmed...need advice for a romantic trip next year!

Hello,

I've been doing lots of reading, and I don't seem to be getting anywhere;
I'm just overwhelmed with my options.

Next year, my wife and I are celebrating our 10-year anniversary, and I'd
like to take her on a trip to mexico. I have a $2000 total budget (but
obviously I don't have to spend all of it if I don't need to). We'll be
leaving from Los Angeles.

I'm looking for a beach vacation that is heavy on the romance (perhaps a
nice beach side hotel or resort), but with options to explore some of the
more rural or interesting aspects of Mexico on tour. I can schedule to go
anytime in the first half of the year, so if there's a good time to save
money, avoid crowds, or get better weather, I'm very flexible. I would also
be open to a cruise, if that could be a better value. I'm interested in
really "touristy" or Spring-Break type places, but something a little
quiter, more interesting and cultural.

I would appreciate any input on good places to investigate. Thanks!

Old October 28th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Richard Ferguson

I will make a few comments.

Your budget is modest, especially if that includes airfare. A package
is probably the best bet. Unfortunately, the best package deals are
probably to the most popular spots, which I tend to avoid.

Normally I would suggest the Yucatan, but it has been pretty torn up by
Wilma. However, in 6 months, most hotels should be back in good order,
and many will be in good shape sooner than that. You could visit some
ruins to pick up some culture. Most of the beach resorts outside the
Yucatan don't offer a lot of cultural things nearby, in my view.
However, a travel agent in Mexico should be able to help you find a tour
to see some things of interest, no matter where you are.

I would note that Easter is April 16, 2006. Avoid traveling during that
time, especially the week before.

Good luck and have fun.

Richard

Old October 28th, 2005, 02:48 AM
John Ramsay

Marty Christion wrote:

[...]

Do a web search for Reef Yucatan Resort. You can get an
all-inclusive within your budget there and can take
trips from there to rural areas or the city of Merida.
Old October 28th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Technobarbarian

"Marty Christion" wrote in message
[...]

While it's a very touristy area the "Mayan Riviera" on the Yucatan
penninsula comes to mind very quickly for a number of reasons. One of the
beach front hotels in Tulum or Puerto Morelos would pretty well fit your
description, with Tulum being a bit more romantic. While it's mostly an RV
park Paamul is a nice site on a pretty cove with some very romantic cabanas
that should be repaired and available again in your time frame. On the west
coast, Mazatlan, outside of the "Zona Dorado" (the tourist district) fits
your requirements. For something very rural Teacapan, about 70 miles south
of Mazatlan. The Rancho San Francisco hotel is just outside of town on a
beautiful quiet beach. It's a small aging hotel with a restuarant and pool,
but still reasonably nice. It's a good area for bird watching and there are
some minor cultural sites in the area. There's very little in Teacapan
itself to attract anyone. It's a small town with 2 or 3 restaurants.

If you're interested in something away for the ocean it expands the
possibilities, but that's a whole 'nother list

TB

Old October 28th, 2005, 04:09 AM
chilly

"Marty Christion" wrote in message
(snip)
I'm looking for a beach vacation that is heavy on the romance (perhaps a
nice beach side hotel or resort), but with options to explore some of the
more rural or interesting aspects of Mexico on tour. I can schedule to go
anytime in the first half of the year, so if there's a good time to save
money, avoid crowds, or get better weather, I'm very flexible. I would

also
be open to a cruise, if that could be a better value. I'm interested in
really "touristy" or Spring-Break type places, but something a little
quiter, more interesting and cultural.

I'm assuming you meant to say *not* "really touristy or Spring-Break type
place".

Perhaps a place like Yelapa would be good for you guys?

Here's some websites for your consideration:

http://modena.intergate.ca/personal/...welcomenf.html
http://www.vallarta-info.com/yelapa.html
http://www.yelapafun.com/

http://www.yelapafun.com/Estrel.html

http://www.hotel-lagunita.com/old/main.html

I would appreciate any input on good places to investigate. Thanks!

Old October 28th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Tashi

try out this place, It is a very nice quiet get away without the huge
tourist crowds of cancun or Isla Mujeres.

http://www.islandhideaway.com/
http://www.holboxisland.com/
http://www.travelyucatan.com/isla_holbox_mexico.php
You can also take a bus to Valladolida and and check out Chitzen Itza for
the day and explore the ceynotes and markets etc.

Tashi

--
How funky are your chickens!
LIFE IS AN ATTITUDE!

Old October 31st, 2005, 02:29 PM
Doug Frederick

"chilly" wrote in message

[...]

Trust me- this is coming from the voice of experience on casual vacation
romance.

I would appreciate any input on good places to investigate. Thanks!