cost of a 6 month trip in Europe?

Old October 3rd, 2003, 02:47 PM
twinkle_toes

Default cost of a 6 month trip in Europe?

I would love to hear how much it has cost people on a budget to travel
around Europe for 6 months (or longer). Not staying in cockroach-ridden,
horrible places, but clean, cheap accommodation.

Would $15,000 be enough??

Thank you!

---

Old October 3rd, 2003, 03:04 PM
Harry Everhart

I would love to hear how much it has cost people on a budget to travel
around Europe for 6 months (or longer). Not staying in cockroach-ridden,
horrible places, but clean, cheap accommodation.
Would $15,000 be enough??

My wife and I spent a month in Europe this last May/June. We visited
Scotland - England (7 nights in a three star in London) - Ireland - and
Venice, Italy (4 nights in the most beautiful city). We had a Scotrail
Pass for two weeks in Scotland - we traveled between the other countries
on Ryanair.com. We stayed in three hotels most of the time - spent two
straight weeks in a bed and breakfast in Dunee, Scotland. We spent a
total of $8000 for everything including the flight from NYC.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 03:22 PM
Juliana L Holm

twinkle_toes wrote:
I would love to hear how much it has cost people on a budget to travel
around Europe for 6 months (or longer). Not staying in cockroach-ridden,
horrible places, but clean, cheap accommodation.

Would $15,000 be enough??

Are you willing to do hostels at least a good part of the time? If so
I'd say yes it is doable. but it will be tough without some hostelling.

--
Julie
**********
Old October 3rd, 2003, 03:58 PM
Mark Hewitt

"twinkle_toes" wrote in message
I would love to hear how much it has cost people on a budget to travel
around Europe for 6 months (or longer). Not staying in cockroach-ridden,
horrible places, but clean, cheap accommodation.

Would $15,000 be enough??

Thats Australian dollars right?

Don't forget to check visa requirements for that length of stay.

Old October 3rd, 2003, 04:24 PM
Philip George

It depends whereabout you're visiting.

In London, Scandinavia, Switzerland or Germany you'll pay at least $90
per night. In France or Greece you can get by on $50. In Italy and Spain
probably $70.

So that's about $11000 on I reckon, on average. This will get you clean
accommodation, but nothing to write home about.

For food you'll need at least $20 a day, so thats $3800.

So that's $15000 before you take travel into account.

You can travel around cheaply on the bus. Also rail fares can be quite
affordable in southern Europe. Air fares can be expensive on some routes/
countries, and cheap on others if you book in advance. I don't advise buying
Eurail passes as you do need to travel a lot to make them worthwhile.

I think probably $20000 is a minimum really for 6 months!

phil

In article ,

Old October 3rd, 2003, 05:09 PM
blib

I would love to hear how much it has cost people on a budget to travel
around Europe for 6 months (or longer). Not staying in cockroach-ridden,
horrible places, but clean, cheap accommodation.

Would $15,000 be enough??

Depends on what you want. When I was 18 I used to travel for about 10 GBP a
day. Now with age I'm more fussy and go on rougly 60 - 100 GBP a day
depending on country.

Old October 3rd, 2003, 05:17 PM
tile

Being the average salary in Italy below 1000 eur
per month.. in theory you should live very well

it depends on what you do.
In rome for instance the vatican museum will cost you
15 eur, but it is only for half of the day.
then you should consider on what you live on

in you buy yr own food in supermarkets.
10 eur a day will be more than enough.-
a bottle of wine in a supermarket will not cost you
more than 1.50 and a bottle of mineral water about
0.30

you will find a lot of bed and breakfasts for about
25 a day..
but maybe you can hire an apartment and use it as a base.
there are also convents and hostels offering cheap
accomodation.

on the other hand.. a cheap hotel will be in a range
between 50 and 70 eur a day
while a good meal in a restaurant will cost between
25 to 35 eur.

again.. it depends on where you live.
In big towns like Rome or Venice life for tourists
is more expensive.
a bottle of half litre of mineral water costs in rome
between 2.0 and 2.5 eur
a beer will cost you between 4 and 5 eur.

Old October 3rd, 2003, 05:18 PM
Miss L. Toe

"tile" wrote in message
Being the average salary in Italy below 1000 eur
per month.. in theory you should live very well

Is that true ?
In the UK I believe it is about two and a half times higher .

Old October 3rd, 2003, 05:58 PM
Judith Umbria

"tile" wrote in message
Being the average salary in Italy below 1000 eur
per month.. in theory you should live very well

it depends on what you do.

That is a beginning takehome, after taxes, salary for someone with
education. People who earn $1000 a month do not live alone, do not travel,
do not pay to go to museums.
My plumber charges $18 per hour. The electrician charges a similar amount.
I can't tell you what factory workers make. Most of them do get a lunch
ticket so they don't pay for one meal.
On the other hand, if you don't move around a great deal, you could live on
$15000 for 6 months and do all the touring you like. Bigger cities will
cost the most.