Guy Fawkes Day

Old November 5th, 2004, 06:32 PM
randee

Default Guy Fawkes Day

After the 'Performance Today' program our local FM station
(http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/krwg/ppr/index.shtml) has a request
show on Fridays. Today the first request was for 'Rule Britannia'; I
know that song is famous from the 'Proms', but am I correct in that it
is not really the national anthem of England?
--
wf.
Wayne Flowers

Old November 5th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Malcolm Stewart

"randee" wrote in message
Today the first request was for 'Rule Britannia'; I
know that song is famous from the 'Proms', but am I correct in that it
is not really the national anthem of England?
--
wf.
Wayne Flowers
Randee Greenwald

Yes, you are correct.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old November 5th, 2004, 07:24 PM
The Reids

Following up to randee

Today the first request was for 'Rule Britannia';

God Save the Queen is the (dull) anthem. Jarusalem stands with
Rule Brittania as sort of national songs. They use the RB tune,
(not words) as part of the start of Radio 4 each morning.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site

Old November 5th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Graham Harrison

THE National Anthem is "God Save the Queen". I guess it's a bit like the
difference between Hail to the Chief and The Star Spangled Banner. Don't
misunderstand, we don't play Rule Briannia when the Queen appears (even less
the PM) I'm just saying that there is more than one way of representing a
country.

Old November 5th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Owain

"randee" wrote
| After the 'Performance Today' program our local FM station
| (http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/krwg/ppr/index.shtml) has
| a request show on Fridays. Today the first request was
| for 'Rule Britannia'; I know that song is famous from
| the 'Proms', but am I correct in that it is not really
| the national anthem of England?

You are right; it is not. 'God Save The King' was a patriotic song first
publicly performed in London in 1745, which came to be referred to as the
National Anthem from the beginning of the nineteenth century. The words and
tune are anonymous, and may date back to the seventeenth century. ... There
is no authorised version of the National Anthem as the words are a matter of
tradition. Additional verses have been added down the years, but these are
rarely used. The words used are those sung in 1745, substituting 'Queen' for
'King' where appropriate.
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page317.asp

AFAIK the English national patriotic song is usually either 'Land of Hope
and Glory' which is/was official, or 'Jerusalem' which is merely de facto.

There's a big discussion at
http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?thr...ges=106&page=1

The Welsh have Land of My Fathers (Fy Hen Wlad Fy Nghadau)[1] and the Scots
used to use Scotland the Brave, although this was changed to the Corries'
'Flower of Scotland' about 10 years ago.

Owain

[1] I'll ignore Sospan Bach :-)

Old November 5th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Owain

"randee" wrote

Old November 5th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Irwell

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 18:39:34 -0000, "Malcolm Stewart"
wrote:

"randee" wrote in message
Today the first request was for 'Rule Britannia'; I
know that song is famous from the 'Proms', but am I correct in that it
is not really the national anthem of England?
--
wf.
Wayne Flowers
Randee Greenwald

Yes, you are correct.

Rule Britannia, two tanners make a bob.
Three make one and six, and four two bob.