Calling UK form Orange mobile phone

Old January 8th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Kath

Default Calling UK form Orange mobile phone

Hi,
I will be visiting Clearwater Fl for a week later this month. I will
take my tri-band mobile phone with me but the charges with Orange are
£1.10 per minute to call the UK.
I've heard of using Access Codes to reduce costs but when I looked
these up on the internet they seem to apply to phone calls made FROM
the UK.
Dial Arounds look like an option, but I'm not sure if they only apply
to telephones originating in the USA. I'm not keen on purchasing a
Calling Card because I would have to have some kind of contract and
pay a US company - it all gets very complicated.
PLEASE can anyone tell me how I can call home without paying quite so
much?

Thank you

Kath
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Jan

Kath wrote:
Hi,
I will be visiting Clearwater Fl for a week later this month. I will
take my tri-band mobile phone with me but the charges with Orange are
£1.10 per minute to call the UK.
I've heard of using Access Codes to reduce costs but when I looked
these up on the internet they seem to apply to phone calls made FROM
the UK.
Dial Arounds look like an option, but I'm not sure if they only apply
to telephones originating in the USA. I'm not keen on purchasing a
Calling Card because I would have to have some kind of contract and
pay a US company - it all gets very complicated.
PLEASE can anyone tell me how I can call home without paying quite so
much?

Thank you

Kath

What did we do before mobile phones? Well I believe we went on holiday and
sent postcards.
Do you really need to call home ?? If so why not make a quick call fro a
public phone.
I travel for several weeks at a time, when I know or if I know where I am
staying I will send an email leaving forward contact numbers. I can honestly
say in all my years of travel, that I've never been needed!!!
Jan

---

Old January 8th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Kath

"Jan" wrote in message ...
Kath wrote:
[...]

Thank you Jan,
I agree that we used different methods, or none at all before.
However, and sadly, I need to keep in touch with relatives who are not
in the best of health. The only alternative to this is not to travel
at all.
I have a 'once in a lifetime' chance to see a part of the world I
never thought I would and I simply don't want to have a financial
penalty for doing so.
I appreciate your response and hope you continue to enjoy trouble-free
travel for many years to come.
Best wishes
Kath
Old January 8th, 2004, 05:28 PM
RHess

Kath wrote:

Kath wrote:
Hi,
I will be visiting Clearwater Fl for a week later this month. I will
take my tri-band mobile phone with me but the charges with Orange are
£1.10 per minute to call the UK.
I've heard of using Access Codes to reduce costs but when I looked
these up on the internet they seem to apply to phone calls made FROM
the UK.
Dial Arounds look like an option, but I'm not sure if they only apply
to telephones originating in the USA. I'm not keen on purchasing a
Calling Card because I would have to have some kind of contract and
pay a US company - it all gets very complicated.

I think you may be reading the wrong thing about the phone cards.
They're widely available and I find them the most inexpensive way to
make international calls from the US. (Make sure you get an
international card!) I've not yet had one required any kind of contract
- buying the card _is_ the contract, and the access number and account
number are contained in it.

As long as you're calling a landline in UK...calls to mobiles in the UK
are devilishly expensive, no matter what means you use.
Old January 8th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Charles Hawtrey

(Kath) with the help of 999 monkeys eventually
managed to type:

Hi,
I will be visiting Clearwater Fl for a week later this month. I will
take my tri-band mobile phone with me but the charges with Orange are
£1.10 per minute to call the UK.
I've heard of using Access Codes to reduce costs but when I looked
these up on the internet they seem to apply to phone calls made FROM
the UK.
Dial Arounds look like an option, but I'm not sure if they only apply
to telephones originating in the USA. I'm not keen on purchasing a
Calling Card because I would have to have some kind of contract and
pay a US company - it all gets very complicated.
PLEASE can anyone tell me how I can call home without paying quite so
much?

A couple of possibilities:

1. Cheapest option is to make your outgoing calls to the UK on a
landline, saving your mobile (or "cell phone" in American) for
incoming emergency calls.

2. If you really want to make all your calls on a cell phone, buy a
prepaid Virgin Mobile phone in the US. They are available at almost
all large discount stores (Target, WalMart, and the like). Outgoing
calls to the UK are US$0.75 (about £0.45) per minute which is much
cheaper than your Orange phone. Virgin Mobile's cheapest model works
fine and costs around US$50. Their charges are slightly complicated:
alls within the US are $0.25 per minute for the first 10 minutes of
any day and $0.10 per minute thereafter.

Some things to be aware of: Cell phone coverage in the US is not as
complete as in Europe so if you are in a remote area you may not be
able to get a signal. Virgin Mobile's coverage is good in most of
Florida (actually they use the Sprint network). Also, all incoming
mobile calls are chargeable at the domestic (US) rate; conversely, the
caller does not pay extra to reach a mobile phone (i.e., pays the same
charges as if he or she were calling to a landline).

Hope you enjoy your trip.

--
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to
get its pants on, but what was the truth doing with no pants on in the
Old January 8th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Jan

Thank you Jan,
I agree that we used different methods, or none at all before.
However, and sadly, I need to keep in touch with relatives who are not
in the best of health. The only alternative to this is not to travel
at all.
I have a 'once in a lifetime' chance to see a part of the world I
never thought I would and I simply don't want to have a financial
penalty for doing so.
I appreciate your response and hope you continue to enjoy trouble-free
travel for many years to come.
Best wishes
Kath

I'm sorry to hear of your problems and hope you enjoy your holiday.
I'm sure it will be reassuring to your relatives to know that they can
contact you should the need arise.
So many people nowadays take mobile phones on holiday with them just to
make those irritating "I'm on the bus" type calls.
Jan

---

Old January 11th, 2004, 06:23 PM
dismum

Quite agree buy a phone card -they're cheap and widely available in all stores and easy to use take a look at this site for buyng a phone over there http://www.tracfone-orders.com/direc...st.jsp?tech=TO

trac phones are great you buy them and use them like a pay as you go then if you go back again or have a friend going they can take the phone buy another card -simple . you don't keep the same number but as you aregenerally only phonng one way that really doesn't matter does it .