Scared

Old December 17th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Susie Q

Default Scared

Hi! I am flying to Mexico this summer with my class and am absolutely
terriffied. I've never been on an airplane before and was wondering if
anybody could tell me some ways to keep from being so afriad. Thanks!

Old December 18th, 2003, 12:38 AM
None

Don't go! Chances are since this is your first time flying, and, since you
are a WebTV subscriber, the plane will go down with you on it!

Old December 18th, 2003, 01:16 AM
PTRAVEL

"Susie Q" wrote in message
Hi! I am flying to Mexico this summer with my class and am absolutely
terriffied. I've never been on an airplane before and was wondering if
anybody could tell me some ways to keep from being so afriad. Thanks!

1. Do a Google search -- this topic has been discussed many times, and
there's been a lot of good advice given.

2. Don't even begin to think about. You're not flying 'til next summer.
Don't spend the next 6 to 8 months dwelling on a flight which is going to
wind up being a fun experience.

Old December 18th, 2003, 03:34 AM
Schultz

Susie Q wrote:

Hi! I am flying to Mexico this summer with my class and am absolutely
terriffied. I've never been on an airplane before and was wondering if
anybody could tell me some ways to keep from being so afriad. Thanks!

Be sure to step onto the aircraft with your left foot. I always
do that, and it has worked for me EVERY SINGLE TIME. Except once
I accidentally stepped on with my right foot, but it didn't crash
that time either anyway.

Also, never set your full weight down on the seat. That helps to
keep the plane up in the air.

Hope this helps.
Old December 18th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Susie Q" wrote in message
Hi! I am flying to Mexico this summer with my class and am absolutely
terriffied. I've never been on an airplane before and was wondering if
anybody could tell me some ways to keep from being so afriad. Thanks!

On airplanes, you are cramped, have terrible food, the noise of the engines
beside you, screaming kids, annoying people sitting on the left of you,
annoying people sitting on the right of you, and behind you and in front of
you and no room to move.. You have far more things to worry about that the
hijackers taking the plane to its inevitable doom.

But thank god you're cute ;-)

Old December 18th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Peter L

"Susie Q" wrote in message
Hi! I am flying to Mexico this summer with my class and am absolutely
terriffied. I've never been on an airplane before and was wondering if
anybody could tell me some ways to keep from being so afriad. Thanks!

"Absolutely terrified" sounds like you are more than just scared. You may
have a phobia, which is not a rational fear. Talk to your school counselor,
who may have a suggestion for a therapist in your area.

Old December 18th, 2003, 10:55 PM
anon

If you fly singapore airlines, you would die of fright for sure.......

Old December 19th, 2003, 04:35 AM
To Arms!!

On one of my many trips to Cozumel, Mexico many years ago, the pilot
had descended to ~500' and buzzed the jungle from the coast to Cancun.
Some passengers got off in Cancun and some got on to return to the
U.S. The pilot flew down the coast to about Playa del Carmen and then
turned east for the short hop across the channel to Cozumel. He made
his approach to CZM and did a tight 360 over the water at a low
altitude. The water was beautiful. I thought the entire trip was
pretty cool - different, but not dangerous. But some of the
passengers who got on in Cancun partied a little too much the night
before or were not feeling too well and several of them lost it in the
360. There were several complaints, but I thanked the captain for the
ride.

Another time, I had to make a connection in Cancun from a jet to a
prop job. The prob job was run by Aero Carib as I recall. The pilot
started his take off roll, got a ways down the runway and then started
to push a lot of switches and levers. He killed an engine and pulled
the plane back to the ramp where he advised us that we were going to
take another airplane. No one complained.

So what are you afraid of? Aircraft accidents are rare. You might
consider to take a couple of short trips on an airplane so you know
what to expect.