Translation

Old January 4th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Ronald Hands

Default Translation

My sister-in-law would like the following (which she plans to use as
a wine label) translated into French: Let the good times roll.

I tried two of the online services and both came up with "laissez le
bon roulement de périodes."

Doesn't sound right to me (but then, with my knowledge of french,
that doesn't mean much). Can anyone suggest a more idiomatic expression?

-- Ron

Old January 4th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Dave Smith

Ronald Hands wrote:

My sister-in-law would like the following (which she plans to use as=

a wine label) translated into French: Let the good times roll.

I tried two of the online services and both came up with "laissez le=

bon roulement de p=E9riodes."

Doesn't sound right to me (but then, with my knowledge of french,
that doesn't mean much). Can anyone suggest a more idiomatic expressio=

n?

It is more of a Cajun idiomatic phrase "Laissez les bons temps rouler"

Old January 4th, 2005, 09:00 PM
jcoulter

Ronald Hands wrote in news:diCCd.9$Nx.6
@fe61.usenetserver.com:

My sister-in-law would like the following (which she plans to use as
a wine label) translated into French: Let the good times roll.

I tried two of the online services and both came up with "laissez le
bon roulement de périodes."

Doesn't sound right to me (but then, with my knowledge of french,
that doesn't mean much). Can anyone suggest a more idiomatic expression?

-- Ron

they do use the expression, I am told in New Orleans where it is "Laissez
les bonnes temps rouler"

Old January 4th, 2005, 09:12 PM
jcoulter

jcoulter wrote in
:

Ronald Hands wrote in
news:diCCd.9$Nx.6 @fe61.usenetserver.com:

My sister-in-law would like the following (which she plans to use
as
a wine label) translated into French: Let the good times roll.

I tried two of the online services and both came up with "laissez
le
bon roulement de périodes."

Doesn't sound right to me (but then, with my knowledge of french,
that doesn't mean much). Can anyone suggest a more idiomatic
expression?

-- Ron

they do use the expression, I am told in New Orleans where it is
"Laissez les bonnes temps rouler"

my bad bons temps (masculine)

Old January 4th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Ronald Hands

Dave Smith wrote:

It is more of a Cajun idiomatic phrase "Laissez les bons temps rouler"

thanks to you and to the others who came up with similar expressions.
Sounds good to me. She lives in Phoenix (Fountain Hills), AZ, and has
been to New Orleans, I believe, so maybe she picked up the idea there.
If it was originally a Cajun expression, it's certainly been warmly
welcomed into American English.

-- Ron

Old January 4th, 2005, 11:28 PM
GG

"nitram" wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 14:40:16 -0500, Ronald Hands
wrote:

My sister-in-law would like the following (which she plans to use as
a wine label) translated into French: Let the good times roll.

It doesn't make a lot of sense in UK English either :-)

I tried two of the online services and both came up with "laissez le
bon roulement de périodes."

Doesn't sound right to me (but then, with my knowledge of french,
that doesn't mean much). Can anyone suggest a more idiomatic expression?

I'd not use a foreign language, if I was her.
--
Martin

If you google "C'mon Baby Let the Good Times Roll," you'll find the lyrics
to a very popular tune recorded by Roy Orbison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin,
The Animals, Sonny & Cher back in the day when I actually listened to pop
music.

The French expression, "Laissez les bon temps rouler" has an association
with Mardi Gras celebrations in New Orleans nowadays.

GG