Check in time...

Old January 10th, 2006, 04:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Check in time...

Probably a silly question, but thought I'd check in (no pun intended) any
case.

When I see a hotel's Check Out time listed as 12:00, I take it this means
that the room must be vacated and you at the front desk to sign out by this
time or earlier.

Where a hotel lists a Check In time as being 12:00, does this mean you can
check in no earlier than 12:00, but arrive later if you wish, or you must be
there at 12:00 on the dot to check in?

Marcus

Old January 10th, 2006, 07:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

check in "from", of course !

le message de news: ...

Old January 10th, 2006, 08:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...
Probably a silly question, but thought I'd check in (no pun intended) any
case.

When I see a hotel's Check Out time listed as 12:00, I take it this means
that the room must be vacated and you at the front desk to sign out by
this
time or earlier.

Right.

Where a hotel lists a Check In time as being 12:00, does this mean you can
check in no earlier than 12:00, but arrive later if you wish, or you must
be
there at 12:00 on the dot to check in?

You are right, it is a silly question! Can you imagine hotels requiring all
their guests to turn up at 12.00 on the dot? Can you imagine the chaos?!
With most hotels you can arrive any time you want however if you are
arriving late (say after 10.00pm) it's a good idea to tell them this
beforehand.

Old January 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...
Probably a silly question, but thought I'd check in (no pun intended) any
case.

When I see a hotel's Check Out time listed as 12:00, I take it this means
that the room must be vacated and you at the front desk to sign out by
this
time or earlier.

Where a hotel lists a Check In time as being 12:00, does this mean you can
check in no earlier than 12:00, but arrive later if you wish, or you must
be
there at 12:00 on the dot to check in?

Marcus

It means AFTER 12:00, generally if you have a booking guaranteed by
a credit card you can arrive any time after that , if the booking
is not guaranteed the general rule is that you should check in by
6 PM or so or the room may be re-allocated.

Better class hotels will usually be sympathetic to an early
check in (after an overnight fight for example) if informed
in advance. At worst they will provide a luggage room to store
your bags in until the room is ready.

Keith

Old January 10th, 2006, 11:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mark Hewitt schrieb:

[...]

Some hotels close late in the evening...

Regards, ULF
Old January 10th, 2006, 01:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Marcus Fox wrote:
When I see a hotel's Check Out time listed as 12:00, I take it this
means that the room must be vacated

That's my interpretation.

Where a hotel lists a Check In time as being 12:00, does this mean
you can check in no earlier than 12:00

That's what it means but, if you show up earlier and your room's ready,
they'll let you have it.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net
Old January 10th, 2006, 01:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
.. .

That's what it means but, if you show up earlier and your room's ready,
they'll let you have it.

Some will, some won't. I've stayed at hotels where the computer system won't
let them allocate me a room until spot on 2.00pm, even though I'd arrived at
1.50pm.

Old January 10th, 2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 10/01/06 13:17, in article , "Mark Hewitt"
wrote:

That's what it means but, if you show up earlier and your room's ready,
they'll let you have it.

Some will, some won't. I've stayed at hotels where the computer system won't
let them allocate me a room until spot on 2.00pm, even though I'd arrived at
1.50pm.

The problem is getting the rooms made up from the previous night. This
summer we stayed at one place in the South of France where the rooms
had not yet been made up at 5PM. So we waited in the lobby until it was
ready. This was exceptionally late but during a period in which the
occupation rates of rooms is close to 100%, checking in a noon will be
a problem, by 3 pm is likely that your room has been made up.

The real shock comes when you are checked into a room when it has not yet
been made up. This once happened in a top hotel in Cairo, we had arrived
late from France and the room was not made up at 11 PM! It was one of the
few times I have been angry with hotel people.

Old January 10th, 2006, 02:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message

The real shock comes when you are checked into a room when it has not yet
been made up. This once happened in a top hotel in Cairo, we had arrived
late from France and the room was not made up at 11 PM! It was one of the
few times I have been angry with hotel people.

Happened to me once in Birmingham, UK. I checked into the room to find it
had not been cleaned, there were still dirty towels in the bath etc. No
problem I thought, so I told the desk and they assured me it would be fixed
while I went off for the evening. Arrived back at 1am to find nothing had
been done. At that point I was too tired to move rooms so just got them to
give me some fresh towels.

Upon complaining after I got home they refunded my money, which at the time
I thought was great but now I know it's the least I could expect!

Old January 10th, 2006, 02:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 10/01/06 14:29, in article , "Mark Hewitt"
wrote:

Upon complaining after I got home they refunded my money, which at the time
I thought was great but now I know it's the least I could expect!

You experience brings to mind the evolution of many motels in the US.
French hotels are periodically closed, upgraded and put back on the market.
One in our area, once called the "Orient" was a backpacker's hotel,
mentioned in the old guides on touring Europe on $6 a day. It closed
and was completely gutted coming back as a higher price hotel running
about 200 euros a night. So there seems to be a cycle of refurbishing
and upgrading hotels in Paris. It is profitable because of the limited
space in the inner city.

In the US, some motels tend to slide downhill until at the bottom they
become cheap weekly rented places for those who can't gather enough money
together to rent a regular apartment. Some chains slide badly, Ramada was
a higher scale motel chain but the one's I have been in lately in the US
still are relatively expensive but down at the heels. Motel 6 was a cheap
chain, bare bones type of place but now they are still relatively cheap
but not down at the heels and in better shape than some of their higher
price competition.

The older motels (1930s) in the west are often individual cabins, motor
courts etc. If Europeans have never been to the US, they certain got an
idea of the "charm" of these kinds of places from the movie "Baghdad Café".

Chain motels in France are a relatively new thing and have not evolved
to the seedy state. Will it happen? I don't know, they are often in
the newer industrial parks at the edge of larger towns and cities. How
will this parks age? What if automobile transportation gets too expensive
and the inner city returns in terms of where people will stay (near
the train stations)?