02 on cruises

Old October 24th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Jacqueline Gordon

Default 02 on cruises

Has anyone had the experience of having to take Oxygen on a cruise?
What, if any, are the stipulations?

Jacquie G.- Fl

Old October 24th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
(Jacqueline Gordon) wrote:
Has anyone had the experience of having to take Oxygen on a cruise?
What, if any, are the stipulations?

Jacquie G.- Fl

The larger problem is probably going to be oxygen on the flights
out. Contact the carrier for what they need.
For general stuff these might be interesting, although I haven't
looked at any of the real closely:
http://www.gimponthego.com/tips8.htm
www.iccl.org/pressroom/ medicalcarefactsheets.pdf
www.lynnseldon.com/article18.html

I would probably also spend some time wandering around
http://www.istm.org/ This is the professional organization for
docs who specialize in travel medicine. They have a list of local
docs who belong to the group who might be able to help you with some
of this stuff.
Finally I would probably look around the website for the American
Lung Association or the association for the particular disease.

--

"Jesus was provided for by his Father.
I suspect the same is the case with many of those writing on the web."
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Becca

Jacqueline Gordon wrote:

Has anyone had the experience of having to take Oxygen on a cruise?
What, if any, are the stipulations?

First, talk to your travel agent. If he/she does not give you enough
information, call the cruise line and ask them.

As long as your doctor gives his/her OK, there should not be a problem.
If your oxygen converter does not have any pressurized O2 tanks, you can
take yours along with you or your medical equipment supplier can set you
up with a company that will deliver one to the ship.

Becca -----enjoy your cruise...

Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/
Miracle in May http://www.cruisemaster.com/miracle.htm

Old October 25th, 2004, 09:06 PM
roland behunin

Jacqueline Gordon wrote:

Has anyone had the experience of having to take Oxygen on a cruise?
What, if any, are the stipulations?

My mother had to take O2 on a cruise. We tried to rent a O2 portable
O2 convertor from the local medical supply place. It was out of phase
with the shipboard current. The ship (Cunnard) had O2 convertors that
you could rent from them for the cruise that were set up for the phase
of the ship's current.

She did use the convertor in England, as the cruise was a a
transatlantic crossing and a tour of England. She did have to get an
electric plug convertor for the 220 for the O2 convertor for Europe
while she was over there.

I did not go with her, but my wife did. So this is sort of second
hand knowledge. Have your travel agent check with the cruise line to
see if O2 is available on board. They may have the O2 convertor that
you can use.

The flight was a problem. You have to choose an airline that will
arrange for O2 on board. This means you are unable to fly Southwest.
They will not deal with the O2. You also have to pay an extra fee to
fly with O2, and set it up with them in advance. When my mother flew
I think it was $50 a segment, but I could be wrong, and it could have
changed by now. We had to call the airline to set this up, you could
not arrange this on their webpage. It took a little bit to get
through to an agent.

roland

Old October 26th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake (roland behunin) :

Jacqueline Gordon wrote:

Has anyone had the experience of having to take Oxygen on a cruise?
What, if any, are the stipulations?

My mother had to take O2 on a cruise. We tried to rent a O2 portable
O2 convertor from the local medical supply place. It was out of phase
with the shipboard current. The ship (Cunnard) had O2 convertors that
you could rent from them for the cruise that were set up for the phase
of the ship's current.

Out of phase? Exactly what does that mean? I don't think the
generator is three phase, and I know the ship isn't. You'll find
either 110V/60 Hz (N America) or 220V/50 Hz (most of Europe & UK).
Both single phase.

[...]

Most airlines limit the number of O2 generators on board, usually the
magic number is 1. Every since ValuJet, they are paranoid. And don't
even think about taking a cylinder on board. You might be able to,
but it's a royal pain.

roland

--
dillon

When I was a kid, I thought the angel's name was Hark
and the horse's name was Bob.