Standby on International Flights

Old November 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Dick Adams[_2_]

Default Standby on International Flights

I was to fly Baltimore to Los Angeles to Sydney to Perth
and returning Canberra to Sydney to Los Angeles to Baltimore.
My mate in Perth was planing a trip to Brisbane and offered
to drop me off in Canberra. When my mate in Canberra passed
away last month, so did my plans for a week in Canberra.
So I called Quantas to see if I could return from Brisbane
and offering to fly standby. They said 'no standby' is
allowed on international flights?

Is this new or is my chain being jerked?

Dick
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate[_2_]

Correct!

Since 9/11 no standby on International flights. It's all to do with the
checks necessary before they'll allow you to park your butt on an
international flight seat anywhere!

Old November 15th, 2007, 09:12 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:18:42 +1100, Alan S
wrote in :

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:05:47 +0000 (UTC),
(Dick Adams) wrote:

I was to fly Baltimore to Los Angeles to Sydney to Perth
and returning Canberra to Sydney to Los Angeles to Baltimore.
My mate in Perth was planing a trip to Brisbane and offered
to drop me off in Canberra. When my mate in Canberra passed
away last month, so did my plans for a week in Canberra.
So I called Quantas to see if I could return from Brisbane
and offering to fly standby. They said 'no standby' is
allowed on international flights?

Is this new or is my chain being jerked?

Dick

I don't recall standby being offered on any Australian
airlines flights for many years now. I'm probably wrong, but
if it does exist it is nothing like the US system.

Hi, Dick & Alan:

The IATA [International Air Transport Association] has been
around a long time, and represents most airlines. You, Alan,
probably know more about it than I do, but other readers may not
be aware of the extent of its activities. Basically:

"IATA is an international trade body, created some 60
years ago by a group of airlines. Today, IATA represents over 240
airlines comprising 94% of scheduled international air traffic.
The organization also represents, leads and serves the airline
industry in general."
http://www.iata.org/about/

When I originally came from the U.S. to Australia in the '60s
they published to large guides, similar in size to large phone
books, one for the U.S., the other for the rest of the world,
every month for the use of travel agents.

Very useful for planning, as listed every scheduled commercial
flight between any two locations, standard fares, which airlines
had special deals on, and so on.

They also assign the two letter airline codes and the three
letter airport codes. Recently I mentioned that when
I came down we had a refueling stop at Nandi, Fiji.

Actually, the airport is "Nadi" in Fijian, but is pronounced
"Nandi" in English. As it is in or near Suva, the code is
"SUV".

To quote a bit from Wikipedia:
"IATA was formed in April 1945, in Havana, Cuba. It is the
successor to the International Air Traffic Association, founded
in The Hague in 1919, the year of the world's first international
scheduled services. At its founding, IATA had 57 members from 31
nations, mostly in Europe and North America. Today it has over
240 members from more than 140 nations in every part of the
globe.

For fare calculations IATA has divided the world in three
regions:

1. South, Central and North America.
2. Europe, Middle East and Africa. IATA Europe includes the
geographical Europe and Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia.
3. Asia, Australia, New Zealand and the islands of the Pacific
Ocean.

To this end, airlines have been granted a special exemption by
each of the main regulatory authorities in the world to consult
prices with each other through this body. However, the
organisation has been accused of acting as a cartel, and many low
cost carriers are not full IATA members. . .

More at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...rt_Association

Looking ahead to the reply from "a mate" he suggests that
security is the reason that "standby" is frowned upon.

"Standby" certainly used to exist in the USA, and it was one
of the "lurks" to get cheap travel. Some tourists used to
book on 2, 3 or more flights to ensure they would get a flight.

They would take one, and wouldn't show up for the others.
Very annoying to airlines, of course, as meant they didn't have
a full load at their scheduled departure time. So they offered
a bit of a discount for tourists who would show up at the
airport and be ready to board in that last ten minutes.

With increased security, of course, they aren't going to let
anyone on an aircraft without a security check. When I left the
US, there wasn't any such check, IIRC. It didn't take long
to issue a standby passenger with a ticket and boarding pass,
and get them aboard.

There had been earlier hijackings on domestic flights, by armed
hijackers, but apparently not enough to bring in passenger
screenings and inconvenience passengers with delays. I wasn't
on "standby" when I left, but I don't remember any security
checks.

At the time there was another good lurk for cheap travel going,
if didn't mind sea travel. By international law, cargo
freighters had to provide 10 or 12 passenger cabins, but
they were seldom filled up. So the "lurk" was keep an eye on the
local shipping news, then turn up at the dock an hour or
less before the ship was due to leave. A quick talk with
a ships officer, and could negotiate a fare for a pretty
good discount.

Later, of course, this became more organized, and they
started offering standard fares. Were usually a bit
cheaper than passenger liners, and considerably more
informal.

Of course, it was a simpler and more trusting world in those
days. :-)

Cheers,
Kangaroo16

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Old November 15th, 2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:12:29 GMT, kangaroo16
wrote:

Of course, it was a simpler and more trusting world in those
days. :-)

Maybe. However, "standby" was very much in evidence with AA
in the USA last year at ORD and LAX. There were monitor
screens at the boarding lounges showing who was top of the
standby list.

I remember thinking that it may be wise to buy shares in US
airlines at that time as every flight seemed to be 100% full
and just prior to final boarding they would announce that no
standby seats were available. Nor did I see any empty seats
on the plane.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old November 16th, 2007, 03:59 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Calif Bill

wrote:

Of course, it was a simpler and more trusting world in those
days. :-)

Maybe. However, "standby" was very much in evidence with AA
in the USA last year at ORD and LAX. There were monitor
screens at the boarding lounges showing who was top of the
standby list.

I remember thinking that it may be wise to buy shares in US
airlines at that time as every flight seemed to be 100% full
and just prior to final boarding they would announce that no
standby seats were available. Nor did I see any empty seats
on the plane.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/
latest: Mossman Gorge in the Daintree Rainforest

And those standby's are on tickets that allow changes. So they may be a
business man trying be get out on an earlier flight. Not like the olden
days of Standby, where you got a cheap fare at the last minute.

Old November 16th, 2007, 06:02 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:59:17 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote in
:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Greetings, "Calif Bill"!

Thanks for the info update! If they are a business man, though,
I would assume that they have to go through the usual security
scan each time, whether they are successful or unsuccessful in
making the particular flight.

If this is true, roughly how long does it take to get through the
standard security scan these days?

If he makes the departure lounge, and misses the desired flight,
does he have to stay there waiting for the next flight?

Or can he leave it, retain his "security clearance" and return to
the airport concourse for a meal, bar access, or whatever without
losing his "clearance status"?

Or if he leaves the departure lounge, does he have to go through
the whole security clearance procedure again?

If so, this strikes me as pretty time consuming. As well as
challenging human needs. When I departed from LAX decades ago,
from memory the departure lounge didn't even include a toilet.

I could be wrong, of course, maybe I just didn't notice it. :-)
Anyway, I haven't noticed you on rec.travel.australia+nz since
I started following it.

If, by any chance, you haven't posted on the group earlier, allow
me to be among the first to welcome you to it! A very quiet
group, as groups go, and usually more questions than answers.

Not like the olden
days of Standby, where you got a cheap fare at the last minute

A bit sad, that. Never bothered with standby myself, but have
met some people who had got some good deals.

Actually, one of the best "lurks" have ever heard of was a
qualified pilot or co-pilot who successfully traveled around the
world at very minimal cost, although again this was a few decades
ago.

In Aussie lingo, a "lurk" isn't necessarily illegal, just a
clever way to accomplish a given objective.

Lots of corporate jets flying even then. Often just had
a pilot and possibly a co-pilot, but often no passengers.
He would approach pilots, ask where they were going, and ask if
any possibility of a ride. Apparently many were glad to
have him along for someone to talk to, if nothing else.

He managed to circumnavigate the globe, in a series of usually
pretty short hops, and took him over a year, from memory.

Still, a pretty clever way to travel at little cost.

Not only corporate jets, of course, also managed to hitch a ride
on long haul air cargo flights.

Anyway, interesting concept. I don't know if it would be
possible these days.

When I arrived in Australia in the sixties, it was pretty common
for 16 to 18 year old high school students, both male and female,
to safely hitchhike in Australia. Not safe these days, of
course. Even technically illegal.

Out of curiosity, do you consider current security precautions as
insufficient, optimal, or overdone? [You don't have to answer
this one, of course :-) ]

There is the occasional news item where passengers have had nail
clippers confiscated on the grounds that they could be used as a
deadly weapon, which seem a bit much to me.

If going to go that far, it is now technically possible for the
flight crew to fly the aircraft from the ground. Of course, this
might not be too acceptable to the passengers.

Any comments on any of the above?

Cheers,
Kangaroo16
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:34:23 -0600,
.. wrote in
:

wrote:

Actually, the airport is "Nadi" in Fijian, but is pronounced
"Nandi" in English. As it is in or near Suva, the code is
"SUV".

Nadi's airport code is NAN.
It's a 30 min flight between NAN and SUV.

E.G.
Air Fiji 510
Depart: 5:30pm Nadi, Fiji (NAN)
Arrive: 6:00pm Suva, Fiji (SUV)
* Economy
* 30min
* Embraer 110 Bandeirante Turboprop

NAN is on the western side of the island, whilst Suva is on the
eastern side.

Cath

I should have checked more web sites, shouldn't I? Still, thanks
for the correction.:-)

Regards,
Kangaroo16

Old November 16th, 2007, 07:17 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:56:24 -0600,
.. wrote in
:

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:12:29 GMT, kangaroo16
wrote:
[msge snipped]

At the time there was another good lurk for cheap travel going,
if didn't mind sea travel. By international law, cargo
freighters had to provide 10 or 12 passenger cabins, but
they were seldom filled up.

Cite of the law please and any subsequent alterations.

Cath

Actually, I would regard it as pretty common knowledge, but as
time permits I don't mind looking up the original law.

As to "all subsequent alterations" that is a bit of an unusual
request. How much are you offering me per hour to do your
extensive legal research for you? :-)

Are you offering an retainer in advance? If so, how much?

Not that I am a qualified "barrister", "solicitor" or even a
qualified "accountant".

However, if you make an adequate offer, I, or someone else on the
group, might refer you to someone else who is suitably qualified.

If you have money to waste, am sure that you can find many
Aussies in the U.S. who would be pleased to offer you a
"quitclaim" deed on their theoretical share of the Sydney Harbour
Bridge. :-)

Cheers,
Kangaroo16

Cheers,
Kangaroo16
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:02 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Calif Bill

.. wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:59:17 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Of course, it was a simpler and more trusting world in those
days. :-)

Maybe. However, "standby" was very much in evidence with AA
in the USA last year at ORD and LAX. There were monitor
screens at the boarding lounges showing who was top of the
standby list.

I find this intriguing as per TSA rules, no-one without a boarding
pass can gain entry to the departure lounges.
I had a hell of a time earlier this year in having a special pass
issued for my daughter to accompany me through the security check and
to the departure lounge, which she is entitled to so and has done many
a time, because of my disability. We got it in the end but only
because I demaned to speak to a supervisor.

Did you have boarding passes for a later flight but were wait-listed
for 'Space A' [space available] on an earlier departure?
Note if this is the case, and you have asked for a seat if available
on an earlier flight, be very aware if it happens again that you are
deemed a 'voluntary seperation' and your bag/s may not go on the early
flight. Most airlines will not delivery i.e. you will be required
to pick them up from the airport.

I remember thinking that it may be wise to buy shares in US
airlines at that time as every flight seemed to be 100% full
and just prior to final boarding they would announce that no
standby seats were available. Nor did I see any empty seats
on the plane.

Try it at the moment - it's a nightmare with too many passengers
fighting for too little number of seats!
And with Thanksgiving next week, I am just so glad I am not working in
the industry at the moment!

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/
latest: Mossman Gorge in the Daintree Rainforest

And those standby's are on tickets that allow changes. So they may be a
business man trying be get out on an earlier flight. Not like the olden
days of Standby, where you got a cheap fare at the last minute.

Air New Zealand tried 'standby fares' back in the early 1980's as a
means to fill seats on a relocater 747 between Auckland and
Christchurch daily [early am flight] and the return flight late
afternoon/reverse route.

At the time, the standby fare was NZ$49 each way v $96 discounted
fare.

Unfortunately they discontinued it as it was attracting the clients
they were not trying to attract. During the week the business
travellers used it with a ressult NZ was loosing money on 'regular
flights'.

We used to take advantage of it by flying out from Auckland on a
Sunday am; just purchase the ticket and be told to go straight to
check-in. Return, I'd be at the airport 8am on a Saturday morning to
purchase a ticket [first in/first served loading basis] and never had
a problem - one flight there were no more than 10 people in economy!

Cath\

They had tickets, so get a boarding pass. Just trying to get on earlier
flight most likely.