Sicily

Old July 6th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Dee

Default Sicily

I am just back from a week touring around Sicily in a rented car.
I would say first that I was never so glad I had a SMALL car!!!
Like the other posters say, the narrow streets are an education.

Another point - there is a singular lack of traffic lights on Sicily.
Several large, busy cross roads (e.g. three in Barcelona) were pretty scary.
My advice is to avoid eye contact!! :-))

Other piece of advice - if looking for parking in the towns look for the
BLUE painted
markings. This means you pay!! But it's not much and there is some chance
you'll find
some vacant. Otherwise I agree parking is impossible on town streets.

Enjoy

Dee

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
In article , sbp
wrote:

But other than camping, Sicily is great. If you know every inch of your
vehicle you'll be fine with the narrow roads. And believe me, they are
everywhere and narrow is an understatement. Unfortunately, originally

from
the US, I am used to too much space on the roads so I was never "aware"

of
the size of my car, if that makes sense.

I wish to visit Sicily some day, by car. I have driven in rual
England, Wales and Scotland, on those single-lane roads bound by
overhanging hedges and/or stone walls. I am used to those. Am I ready
for Sicily?

Thanks in advance,

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:

Old July 13th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Ken Blake

In om,
Alessandro Riolo typed:
"Ken Blake" wrote in message

There are some towns (Erice, for example) where the roads are
very old, and therefore extremely narrow. The first time I

drove
there I came to a T where I had to make a left turn into a
one-way street. It took me the better part of 15 minutes

Being a former Erice's citizen (nowadays Trapani's) I can

assure you
there are some turns who are that hard also for local ones ;-)

Sure. True, I wasn't used to the narrowness of the streets, but
it wasn't just me--the street were very narrow, and anyone would
have had the same problem I did, if their car was the same size
as mine. Some people might have done it faster than I, but I
can't believe it would have been easy for anyone.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old July 13th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Ken Blake

In om,
Alessandro Riolo typed:

Old July 14th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Ken Blake

In om,
PJ O'Donovan typed:
"Ken Blake" wrote in message
In om,
Alessandro Riolo typed:
"Ken Blake" wrote in

message

There are some towns (Erice, for example) where the roads

are
very old, and therefore extremely narrow. The first time I

drove
there I came to a T where I had to make a left turn into a
one-way street. It took me the better part of 15 minutes

Being a former Erice's citizen (nowadays Trapani's) I can

assure you
there are some turns who are that hard also for local ones

;-)

Sure. True, I wasn't used to the narrowness of the streets,

but
it wasn't just me--the street were very narrow, and anyone

would
have had the same problem I did, if their car was the same

size
as mine. Some people might have done it faster than I, but I
can't believe it would have been easy for anyone.

Why fight the narrow streets? When I stayed in Erice several

nights in
11/96,
I recall parking the car in a parking lot outside the city

wall, and
walking to the hotel and around the town.

Of course. I did the same when I sayed there for several nights
too. But the first time I drove to Erice, I wasn't aware of how
narrow the streets were, and had the exeprience I related.

Even on that first day, after I finally made my left turn, I
immediately drove straight out of town, parked outside, and
walked back in.