1 Day in Nynashamn/Stockholm

Old March 18th, 2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises

Default 1 Day in Nynashamn/Stockholm

We'll be on a cruise ship that stops at Nynashamn as a port of call for
Stockholm. The information we've been provided by the cruise line
say that it's an hour from Nynashamn into Stockholm. For US$74
each they will put us on a bus, drop us off in Stockholm, and pick
us up in the afternoon. This seems to be extremely expensive for
a simple bus trip, not a tour.

Is there any kind of alternative transportation into Stockholm, like
frequently scheduled trains or busses? What about taxis? Are there
independent vendors that offer tours from Nynashamn?
Old March 18th, 2006, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises

rvfulltime wrote in
:

We'll be on a cruise ship that stops at Nynashamn as a port of call
for Stockholm. The information we've been provided by the cruise line
say that it's an hour from Nynashamn into Stockholm. For US$74
each they will put us on a bus, drop us off in Stockholm, and pick
us up in the afternoon. This seems to be extremely expensive for
a simple bus trip, not a tour.

Is there any kind of alternative transportation into Stockholm, like
frequently scheduled trains or busses? What about taxis? Are there
independent vendors that offer tours from Nynashamn?
*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***

http://www.nynashamn.se/net/V%E4lkom...amn/In+English

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old March 18th, 2006, 10:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:12:36 -0000, Capt Mary Kidd wrote:

The message
from rvfulltime contains these words:

We'll be on a cruise ship that stops at Nynashamn as a port of call for
Stockholm. The information we've been provided by the cruise line
say that it's an hour from Nynashamn into Stockholm.

It is one hour on the commuter train see

http://reseplanerare.sl.se/bin/help.exe/en?tpl=index

Thank you. This was usefull.

Old March 18th, 2006, 10:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises

"rvfulltime" wrote in message
We'll be on a cruise ship that stops at Nynashamn as a port of call for
Stockholm. The information we've been provided by the cruise line
say that it's an hour from Nynashamn into Stockholm. For US$74
each they will put us on a bus, drop us off in Stockholm, and pick
us up in the afternoon. This seems to be extremely expensive for
a simple bus trip, not a tour.

Cough, Splutter. That's extortionate.

Pick up in the afternoon(!), not much of a 'day' trip is it?
Arrive at 9:00, leave at 2:00?

As the other say, there's a train: Every 30 minutes until 9:00
and then hourly (and half hourly again from 16:00). Takes an
hour

Buy a day pass for 95Kr (I'm not sure where from as that part
of the stockholm rail system doesn't have ticket offices but
presumably the ticket inspector on the train will sell you one) and
you can use it for all the trains/buses in the centre (not that you
have time for much).

OK checked, you get them he
Nynäshamnskiosken Järnvägsstationen (= railway station)

Are you looking for advice as to how to use your 5-6 hours in
Stockholm?

tim

Old March 18th, 2006, 11:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 23:59:47 +0100, "tim \(in sweden\)" wrote:

"rvfulltime" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks.
The ship arrives at 7am and departs at 5:30pm. And they have
to use smaller boats between the ship and the dock. I suspect
the ship is too large for the docks. Getting back late to the ship
would be having a really bad day. At least if the bus is late, the
ship would wait.
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 23:10:16 -0000, Capt Mary Kidd wrote:

The message
from "tim \(in sweden\)" contains these words:

Cough, Splutter. That's extortionate.

It is indeed... unbelievable..

to the OP.. just what cruise line is this?
Why are they not sailing into Stockholm itself?

Seems they want the cheap berth [ferry port] and then to charge you for
the rest of the trip too!

It is Princess Cruises. Most cruises charge extortionate rates for all
their off ship activities, they one reason why we usually choose to
do all off ship activities by ourselves. St. Petersburg is one stop on
the cruise where we've conceeded to buy the excusion from the
cruise company.
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises

wrote:

"rvfulltime" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Presumably,

But you have so little time in Stockholm anyway. As a tourist arriving
at 8:00 is not going to be very useful, for example the Vasa museum
opens at 10:00, you might just as well write off an hour and head back
early.

Using their bus say, 9:00-16:00: 7 hours costs 10 dollars an hour.
On the train 9:00-15:00: 6 hours costs 15 Kr (1.20GBP) per hour.

tim

Old March 18th, 2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises

Capt Mary Kidd wrote in
:

The message
from "tim \(in sweden\)" contains
these words:

Cough, Splutter. That's extortionate.

It is indeed... unbelievable..

to the OP.. just what cruise line is this?
Why are they not sailing into Stockholm itself?

Seems they want the cheap berth [ferry port] and then to charge you
for the rest of the trip too!

The other pier at Stockholm is also a longish cab ride but only 10-15
minutes from the center.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old March 19th, 2006, 12:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises

In article , rvfulltime
wrote:

It is Princess Cruises. Most cruises charge extortionate rates for all
their off ship activities, they one reason why we usually choose to
do all off ship activities by ourselves. St. Petersburg is one stop on
the cruise where we've conceeded to buy the excusion from the
cruise company.

You can book independent tours for St. Petersburg. There are two
companies that many book with and both get good reviews. (I have not
used them yet but I have been reading the reviews) Red October is one
and Denrus is the other.

--
Charles
Old March 19th, 2006, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 00:35:04 +0100, "tim \(in sweden\)"
wrote:

"rvfulltime" wrote in message
.. .

The ship arrives at 7am and departs at 5:30pm. And they have
to use smaller boats between the ship and the dock. I suspect
the ship is too large for the docks. Getting back late to the ship
would be having a really bad day. At least if the bus is late, the
ship would wait.

But you have so little time in Stockholm anyway. As a tourist arriving
at 8:00 is not going to be very useful, for example the Vasa museum
opens at 10:00, you might just as well write off an hour and head back
early.

On the other hand, the Vasa Museum is not to be missed. Even if you get on line
at 0900 and spend a mere 5 hours inside I guarantee it will be an event you will
remember for a very long time.

(change Arabic number to Roman numeral to email)