Socks!

Old January 14th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Tom Bellhouse

Default Socks!

In the Netherlands, my late wife and I used to
joke that we could tell Americans by their white
socks. I hadn't realized we Merkins were
transgressing when we dressed that way, but here's
news that all travellers should see. Don't
transgress!

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - White socks have been
declared indecent by the Dutch Finance Ministry.

A ministry official on Tuesday confirmed a recent
internal publication that proclaimed white sports
socks "transgress the limits of decent dress
behavior" for ministry employees.

The officials were also expected to wear dark blue
or gray suits in order to convey "reliability and
professionalism."

"People are expected to dress in accordance with
their function," said a spokeswoman, stressing
there were no strict controls.

Old January 14th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Donna Evleth

Dans l'article , "Tom Bellhouse"
a écrit :

In the Netherlands, my late wife and I used to
joke that we could tell Americans by their white
socks. I hadn't realized we Merkins were
transgressing when we dressed that way, but here's
news that all travellers should see. Don't
transgress!

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - White socks have been
declared indecent by the Dutch Finance Ministry.

A ministry official on Tuesday confirmed a recent
internal publication that proclaimed white sports
socks "transgress the limits of decent dress
behavior" for ministry employees.

The officials were also expected to wear dark blue
or gray suits in order to convey "reliability and
professionalism."

"People are expected to dress in accordance with
their function," said a spokeswoman, stressing
there were no strict controls.

Some of the Dutch are not this stuffy, and like to tweak the rules a little.
A friend of ours, in his thirties, who is a pension lawyer with a large
grocery company, went to a formal affair in his black suit (which he had had
to buy for the occasion, much to his annoyance) adorned with a bright orange
tie.

Donna Evleth

Old January 14th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Gerrit 't Hart

"Tom Bellhouse" wrote in message
In the Netherlands, my late wife and I used to
joke that we could tell Americans by their white
socks. I hadn't realized we Merkins were
transgressing when we dressed that way, but here's
news that all travellers should see. Don't
transgress!

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - White socks have been
declared indecent by the Dutch Finance Ministry.

Have you ever asked IBM employees what they are allowed to wear?
Gerrit

Old January 14th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Earl Evleth

On 14/01/04 16:57, in article , "Derek
McBryde" wrote:

Ah good old IBM, the guardian of the world's dress code )

To the best of my knowledge, IBM employees dress differently in each
of the many countries where IBM has presence. Within that they
dress according to their function and accepted group practices.
Those that are customer facing tend to dress more formally than those
that aren't, except when they know they are definitely not seeing
customers, when they too would dress more casually.

There are no hard and fast rules and no statement of what one is
"allowed" to wear. However each manager has the right to take issue
with an individual's dress style if s/he feels it is inappropriate for
the business environment.

To remind you what you said

"I have said it elsewhere, that I believe there are times when one can
be more flexible in this newsgroup. However I also strongly
believe we should guard against this flexibility being abused, to the
detriment of the newsgroup."

:-)

Earl

Old January 14th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Thomas Peel

Tom Bellhouse schrieb:

In the Netherlands, my late wife and I used to
joke that we could tell Americans by their white
socks. I hadn't realized we Merkins were
transgressing when we dressed that way, but here's
news that all travellers should see. Don't
transgress!

My wife keeps telling me that white tennis socks for men are totally out
of fashion since twenty years ago.
T.

Old January 14th, 2004, 06:14 PM
B Vaughan

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:43:51 -0500, "Tom Bellhouse"
wrote:

In the Netherlands, my late wife and I used to
joke that we could tell Americans by their white
socks. I hadn't realized we Merkins were
transgressing when we dressed that way, but here's
news that all travellers should see. Don't
transgress!

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - White socks have been
declared indecent by the Dutch Finance Ministry.

A ministry official on Tuesday confirmed a recent
internal publication that proclaimed white sports
socks "transgress the limits of decent dress
behavior" for ministry employees.

The very fact that the ministry has see fit to ban them means that
some people are wearing them.

-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old January 14th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Dostio

Even in europe, many people wear white socks which is indeed considered as
very old fashen.
It is my observation that many americans wear dirty white sport shoes under
nice cloths, sometimes even a suit.
You will almost never see that from europeans.

Dostio

"Tom Bellhouse" schreef in bericht

Old January 14th, 2004, 09:02 PM
JX Bardant

It is my observation that many americans wear dirty white sport shoes
under
nice cloths, sometimes even a suit.
You will almost never see that from europeans.

Mmm... Homeless people do it...

Old January 14th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"JX Bardant" wrote:

It is my observation that many americans wear dirty white sport shoes

under
nice cloths, sometimes even a suit.
You will almost never see that from europeans.

Mmm... Homeless people do it...

it is common for US business types to wear sneakers to work i.e. while
commuting and then change into office wear at work [women in particular
do this since most women's fashionable shoes are poorly adapted to
walking distances]

when traveling comfort ought to trump fashion -- although if one really
plans to be wearing formal clothing then black running shoes are
probably the right idea -- or walking shoes or whatever.
Old January 14th, 2004, 09:36 PM
nhampton

Ha ha. I used to live and work in Germany and we americans used to
joke about the Germans who came to work wearing black sandals with
white socks WITH A SUIT! or they'd wear white or light sandals with
black socks. it's the contrast that's important you see.