country walks near London

Old March 29th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Larry Lain

Default country walks near London

The occasional troll and bizarre response notwithstanding, this is the
most knowledgeable, cheery and helpful NG I read. So let me ask for
some suggestions.

I love London and know it well enough that I'm unable to get lost no
matter how hard I try. But I'm less good outside about Zone 2 or so of
the Tube. One of the most pleasant days I've spent in the last few
years was a lovely rural walk within about 20 minutes from central
London, and I'd like suggestions for similar relaxed afternoons. The
day we spent was simply Thameslink to Radlett, a stroll through this
pleasant town, along a one-track road to Letchmore Heath (lovely pub
there), a footpath to Round Bush (and a fine pub here, too), a bit of
a stroll through adjacent Aldenham, another footpath back to Battler's
Green Farm at the edge of Radlett, then back through town to the
train. I guess we spent six hours or so total, had seven to ten miles
of easy walking, just a short train ride, broad countryside, a couple
of charming old pubs to refresh ourselves, and back to London by
suppertime.

Barb and I will be there again this summer and would like some
suggestions for similar walks easily accessible by Tube or train. Any
suggestions? Thanks in advance.

--Larry Lain

Post here or e-mail directly at

Old March 29th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Joan McGalliard

Larry Lain wrote:

Barb and I will be there again this summer and would like some
suggestions for similar walks easily accessible by Tube or train. Any
suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Places to look:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...080537549/sr=1
-2/ref=sr_1_10_2/202-6662981-3132630 [or
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z3AB12ED7 ]

and the uk walking newsgroup, uk.rec.walking:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?W6BB22ED7

--
Joan McGalliard, UK http://www.mcgalliard.org
Old March 29th, 2004, 09:06 AM
The Reid

Following up to Larry Lain

Barb and I will be there again this summer and would like some
suggestions for similar walks easily accessible by Tube or train. Any
suggestions? Thanks in advance.

The greensand way has some excellent woodland walking with nice
pubs in the area of the LOndon satellite towns like Reigate and
Redhill.
Have you walked the Thames path?
--
Mike Reid
Virtual Thames walk "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk/thamesphoto.htm"
Old March 29th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Bertie Dogg

Take Thames Train from Paddington to West Berkshire get off at
Midgham(Station actually in the village of Woolhampton) . Walk the Kennet &
Avon canal/river right from station or strike north over to Bucklebury
Common(said to have more byeways & footpaths for it's area than elsewhere in
the south of England) and down to the Pang Valley. The villages of Chapel
Row,Stanford Dingley and Upper Bucklebury all have good Pubs and you can
always come to rest back in Woolhampton at the Rowbarge Inn on the river
before hopping back on your train to London.

BD
Following up to Larry Lain

Old March 30th, 2004, 07:51 AM
The Reid

Following up to Not the Karl Orff

Don;t know if it is still as nice and rural but maybe train from
Waterloo to Box Hill and walk around there.

Its rural but thronged with people on warm weekends. Leith hill
is a lot quieter.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Tim Kroesen

They have a few listed here under 'special walks'

http://www.walks.com/

Tim K

Following up to Larry Lain

Old March 30th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article x%cac.71$qI1.70@newsfe1-win,
"a.spencer3" wrote:

Yep - the shop centre on top is a bit modern these days, but the surrounding
countryside just as good. Is the station still operative? It's very much
done up a la Victoriana now.

Hmm, when did that happen?
Old March 30th, 2004, 06:18 PM
a.spencer3

"a.spencer3" wrote:

Yep - the shop centre on top is a bit modern these days, but the

surrounding
countryside just as good. Is the station still operative? It's very much
done up a la Victoriana now.

Hmm, when did that happen?

Years ago - must be 10 years since I was there.

Surreyman