Six Minute Video Surfaces from attack on the DHL Cargo Bird

Old November 25th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Treb

Default Six Minute Video Surfaces from attack on the DHL Cargo Bird

Complete story from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...l-strike_x.htm

Treb

Old November 25th, 2003, 10:14 PM
mrtravel

Treb wrote:

Complete story from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...l-strike_x.htm

Treb

Interesting:

"The vapor trail makes a sharp U-turn as the missile homes in on the
infrared or radio signals from the scheduled Baghdad to Dubai courier
flight."

What's a "sharp u-turn"? Wouldn't those be mutually exclusive?
A u-turn would indicate the missle was fired from the plane
I love reporters.

Old November 25th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Mike Cordelli

No it wouldn't be fired from the plane.

A u-turn is defined as a turn that reverses direction, not one that starts
and ends at the same place.

That's why most newspapers are written at grade school level, it's too deep
for most readers.

The statement makes perfect sense, the missile got close, then made a sharp
turn as it was picking up a better signal.

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. com...

Old November 25th, 2003, 10:54 PM
mrtravel

Mike Cordelli wrote:
No it wouldn't be fired from the plane.

A u-turn is defined as a turn that reverses direction, not one that starts
and ends at the same place.

When I make a u-turn in my car, I go back to where I started from.
Reverse means it went the opposite direction than where it originally
was heading, correct? Like adusting your course from 090 to 270.

That's why most newspapers are written at grade school level, it's too deep
for most readers.

The statement makes perfect sense, the missile got close, then made a sharp
turn as it was picking up a better signal.

It may have made a "sharp" turn, but a u-turn is a turn that reverse
direction, like a U.... This would indicate the missle was aimed away
from the plane and had to make a complete turn to catch the plane.

Old November 25th, 2003, 11:42 PM
nobody

BBC showed the video. Not impressive. The plane is just a dot on the video,
and only with some blowing up of the image do they see a small "puff" when the
explosion supposedly occured.

Missile doesn't do any dramatic direction change.

I am not 100% convinced by that video that this was THE hit on the DHL plane.
Unless I could get a copy that I could analyse carefully, there just isn't
enough details for a casual viewer to conclude that they hit a plane, let
alone the dhl plane.

And there certaintly aren't enough details to know what part of the plane
would have been hit.

Have they shown pictures of the dhl plane ON THE GROUND after the incident ?
The picture of flames behind wing could have easily been forged. Showing the
charred portions of a real plane is not so easy to fake.
Old November 26th, 2003, 12:13 AM
mrtravel

Rupert wrote:

or towards it. then past it and then a u turn onto the heat of the engines
from behing

You give the missle far more ability than it probably has.

Old November 26th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Mike Cordelli

No it doesn't.

Maybe you drive in circles all day, but you can reverse direction without
going back to the starting place.

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. com...

Old November 26th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Olivers

mrtravel muttered....

Treb wrote:

Complete story from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...l-strike_x.htm

Treb

Interesting:

"The vapor trail makes a sharp U-turn as the missile homes in on the
infrared or radio signals from the scheduled Baghdad to Dubai courier
flight."

Bull****! There's no shoulder fired SAM/"MANPAD" in anybody's inventory
that makes sharrp Uturns (or any Uturn at all except at the zenith of its
trajectory.

What's a "sharp u-turn"? Wouldn't those be mutually exclusive?
A u-turn would indicate the missle was fired from the plane
I love reporters.

The report is utter hogwash.

TMO
Old November 26th, 2003, 04:43 AM
Olivers

mrtravel muttered....

Rupert wrote:

or towards it. then past it and then a u turn onto the heat of the
engines from behing

You give the missle far more ability than it probably has.

Agreed. Missiles of that sort only make Uturns in the creative imagination
of reporters and the unwashed.

TMO