Buying electronics in Bangkok

Old July 10th, 2006, 05:22 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
michael

Default Buying electronics in Bangkok

Chuck Whealton wrote:
Helen:

I have to echo the sentiments of the other posters. I was in Vietnam a
couple of years back and figured it the same way you appear to have.

Not so...

I was starting to wonder if everytime they saw me walk in they were
whipping out the OTHER price list. There was no difference in price
whatsoever. In fact, some of the prices appeared to be higher. I
guess that was the "novelty of buying it in Asia" tax.

no.. that would be the government tax tax and the "only the rich buy
this **** here tax"... same thing in thailand...

Particularly strange when everything else cost so much LESS.

again, no... designer label **** costs MORE in poorer countries... it's
what the rich pay for the "i'm better than everybody else" consumer
premium... check out boring old levis everywhere but n. america...

michael

I'd think twice. Especially with the warranty issues that other
posters have mentioned.

Charles Whealton
Chuck Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

Aoife wrote:
Hi!
I'll have the chance to stay 3 days in Bangkok next week.
As I heard that's one of the best places to buy electronics I'd like to find
a good and cheap palm or multimedia such Archos or Creative....
Any suggestion is welcome........
Thank you!!!!

Helen

Old July 11th, 2006, 08:32 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt

On 9 Jul 2006 06:28:26 -0700, "none" wrote:

Aoife wrote:
Hi!
I'll have the chance to stay 3 days in Bangkok next week.
As I heard that's one of the best places to buy electronics I'd like to find
a good and cheap palm or multimedia such Archos or Creative....
Any suggestion is welcome........
Thank you!!!!

Helen

its not a good place. back home is better.
old stock and not the latest .
so forget the idea and buy it back home

That all depends where "back home" is for you.

Chris

Old July 17th, 2006, 06:10 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

If you're in the US, newegg.com beats the pants off everything else.
Much better prices than BKK, warrantees and easy replacement if the
goods don't work, which rarely happens.

Old July 17th, 2006, 07:26 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Bangkok is fun to visit, buying electronic should be in Hongkong where
it is cheaper.

http://www.ojor.com/Thailand/Bangkok/p/Default.aspx

Old July 17th, 2006, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Matthew Brealey

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Sam Lowry" kirjoitti
et...
On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 07:13:49 +0200, Aoife wrote:

Hi!
I'll have the chance to stay 3 days in Bangkok next week.
As I heard that's one of the best places to buy electronics I'd like to
find
a good and cheap palm or multimedia such Archos or Creative....
Any suggestion is welcome........
Thank you!!!!

Contrary to what many people here have said you can get electronics far
cheaper in BKK than at home if:
A) Home is the UK or somewhere else equally bloody expensive.

Naturally in that case.

Doubtful. I checked the price of the Olympus camera I bought 5 years
ago in Bangkok when Igot back to London. It was certainly not any
cheaper in Bangkok

Old July 17th, 2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Sam Lowry" kirjoitti
viestissä:18wvaa8qz4tcl.15e2na5gezhbt$.dlg@40tude. net...

C) You remember to barter (one of the most important skills you need for
South East Asia)

I guess the chap was about to buy electronics.... I still have this worn
out
radio at home. Any bids?

In Thailand there are very few places you can not barter to reduce the
price of things, most people know (or should know) it is common practice
on

You mean by bartering something like bargaining?

street stalls, but it is also advisable everywhere other than big

Well, I don't find it very good an idea to do such shopping in outdoor
markets.

supermarket chains. I recently helped a friend buy a laptop for his son in
Panthip, after a bit of bartering in Thai the price dropped dramatically.

Sales personnel don't have authority to sell out by prices much below on the
tag. Prices are fixed. Naturally the owner can try to **** on your eyes.