Bon Voyage

Old October 25th, 2008, 09:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Default Bon Voyage

On 10/25/2008 12:20 PM Jr. did a "happy dance", then made these writings:
Well, I just talked to Comcast and they said they are indeed discontinuing
newsgroup access but they will be happy to continue to charge us the full
rate to access the rest of the internet.

This just might be the time to go to dish and dsl.

I pay $91 a month for cable TV and Internet. Since comcast has taken over we
have lost 8 quality stations and now our newsgroup access with no reduction
of charges.

This might be my last post since they are not going to offer newsgroups
anymore and I refuse to pay extra just for newsgroup service.

Folks,

If you are dissatisfied with Comcast, why not just switch ISP? There are
quite a few that offer Usenet as part of the basic DSL or other
broadband package. I hear that in some markets, Verizon FIOS is very
reasonable. They also offer several packages as well.

Personally, I have used Earthlink DSL for quite a few years now. They
have one of the best spam blockers I've experienced.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.[_4_]

"Brian K" wrote in message
m...
[...]

So far I have enjoyed the high speed convenience of broadband from Comcast.
They keep bugging me to add phone to the package for only $23 a month. We
use our cell phone for long distance so we don't use Comcast for phone.

We also have two large trees in our back yard facing where the dish would be
for satellite reception so we don't even know if we can get a dish for TV.
Comcast really abuses their customers. When I said this to their rep over
the phone all he said to me was "We have a lot of customers who love
Comcast" but never offered a solution.

Old October 25th, 2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 10/25/2008 4:37 PM Jr. did a "happy dance", then made these writings:
"Brian K" wrote in message
m...

[...]

All the more reason to change. It's an election year. I bet if you
contacted the right people running for office, they'd get rid of the law
that permits one cable company to be the ONLY one for a town or area.
Cable and dish companies would have to be nicer to their customers and
offer lower rates if there was competition in the same city, region or
state.

--
________
Old October 25th, 2008, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Brian K" wrote in message
m...

All the more reason to change. It's an election year. I bet if you
contacted the right people running for office, they'd get rid of the law
that permits one cable company to be the ONLY one for a town or area.
Cable and dish companies would have to be nicer to their customers and
offer lower rates if there was competition in the same city, region or
state.

Not if they're "aligned" as far as price.

As an example... in the US there is competition among the cell phone carrier
companies (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile)... yet US cell phone usage
prices are considerably higher than cell phone usage prices in Europe.

So if Europe can have cheaper cell phone usage prices than the US, how do
you explain why US prices are more expensive, if there is competition?

--Tom

Old October 25th, 2008, 11:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_4_]

"Tom K" wrote in
:

"Brian K" wrote in message
m...

All the more reason to change. It's an election year. I bet if you
contacted the right people running for office, they'd get rid of the
law that permits one cable company to be the ONLY one for a town or
area. Cable and dish companies would have to be nicer to their
customers and offer lower rates if there was competition in the same
city, region or state.

Not if they're "aligned" as far as price.

As an example... in the US there is competition among the cell phone
carrier companies (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile)... yet US cell
phone usage prices are considerably higher than cell phone usage
prices in Europe.

So if Europe can have cheaper cell phone usage prices than the US, how
do you explain why US prices are more expensive, if there is
competition?

--Tom

Bit of an illusion in that Tom. I can call Seattle on my cell phone for
the same cost as calling Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl where I live. I can roam
in Seattle for the same cost. In Europe both of those calls would be
expensive. So it just depends on what you are comparing. And, yes, I
know about those free incoming calls, but what about surcharges to call
from land lines to cells etc.?

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Old October 25th, 2008, 11:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Carnaghie

Joseph Coulter wrote:
"Tom K" wrote in
:

"Brian K" wrote in message
news:u5idnQwv69pHGp7UnZ2dnUVZ_oTinZ2d@earthlink. com...

[...]

Don't forget that Europe is a much small area than
the U.S.
Smaller area = less infrastructure
which leads to lower costs to provide service -
which CAN lead to lower basic costs. The U.S., in
particular the Western US has lots of places where
the people are few and far between but there is
still cell service.
Cheers,
John in LALALand (On the Left Coast)
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
gfc

On Oct 24, 7:12*pm, Ermalee Ermalee wrote:
Paul Krause wrote:
Hi all,

I've been reading this group for over five years and have contributed
occasionally, posting a few reviews. I have enjoyed learning from you
and and somewhat getting to know you. Unfortunately Comcast is turning
off usenet service on Saturday and I really don't want to pay for
another provider to offer access. So I take may leave, saying bon voyage
and happy cruising.

Paul

I guess that goes for me too. *I may be a 'read only' member, looking at
the posts through google.

Ermalee

Can't you post with google groups? I post all the time in several
groups and I do it through google.

gfc
Old October 26th, 2008, 01:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Paul Krause

In article ,
Paul Krause wrote:

In article ,
Ermalee Ermalee wrote:

Joseph Coulter wrote:

Ermalee Ermalee wrote in

will give it a shot

Paul

:

I can't complain about comcast. Have always had terrific service here in
north Jersey. Calling Fios I found that there were so many extra fees
and charges that it would balloon my payment way beyond what I can
afford.

Paul

Paul Krause wrote:

Hi all,

I've been reading this group for over five years and have contributed
occasionally, posting a few reviews. I have enjoyed learning from you
and and somewhat getting to know you. Unfortunately Comcast is
turning off usenet service on Saturday and I really don't want to pay
for another provider to offer access. So I take may leave, saying bon
voyage and happy cruising.

Paul

I guess that goes for me too. I may be a 'read only' member, looking
at the posts through google.

Ermalee

Free and works fine It is Italian but easy enough to get the settings
and then you are one. write me if you have a problem. Do not go away
just because comcast is. Please note I have comcast and access without
giganews.
news.aioe.org/

I will try that. Thanks.

Ermalee

Old October 26th, 2008, 04:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
"Tom K" wrote in
:

"Brian K" wrote in message
m...

[...]

I don't think it's an illusion... in the US you're locked into an expensive
monthly agreement with a long contract, with high cancellation fees. Calls
then are free based on certain criteria within that contract... All the
companies are doing the same, even though there's competition... because you
have an oligopoly... which is probably what would happen with multiple cable
companies in the same area...

(excerpts from Wikipedia)

An oligopoly is a market form in which a market or industry is dominated by
a small number of sellers (oligopolists). The word is derived from the Greek
for few (entities with the right to) sell.

Firms often collude...

There does not have to be a formal agreement for collusion to take place -
for example, in some industries, there may be an acknowledged market leader
which informally sets prices to which other producers respond, known as
price leadership.

--Tom

Old October 26th, 2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
C. Nicholson

"Paul Krause" off usenet service on Saturday and I really don't want to
pay for
another provider to offer access. So I take may leave, saying bon voyage
and happy cruising.

Hope this info is not too late.

Verizon did away with alt newsgroups so I had to find a new server.

news.motzarella.org is free and easy to use. You do have to registar but
that is it. I still us my same Outlook Newreader.

Hope to see you back.