Oh Goody - Passports anyone?

Old April 6th, 2005, 05:32 PM
TNSAF

miles wrote:
Frank F. Matthews wrote:

It has not. Until this stuff goes into effect you have simply had to
show proof of citizenship and a photo ID. A Drivers License & Birth
Certificate sufficed.

Thats my understanding as well. However, three times I was REQUIRED
to show my passport. When leaving the USA, when entering Canada and
again Clearing USA customs.

I do know that when crossing the border by foot or car there are
warning signs on the USA side that state for return a Drivers License
is not proof of citizenship. It said a notorized birth certificate
is, but that two valid forms maybe required at the agents descretion.

Well I have flown to/from the US and crossed on land (car and by bus) and
have never had to show a passport.

The official requirement is still a drivers licence and since 9/11 the
addition of your birth certificate.

Old April 6th, 2005, 06:26 PM
PeterL

A DL and birth certificate, vs a passport. Wouldn't it be easier to
carry a passport? I always thought so, esp. for people who were not
born in the US.

Old April 6th, 2005, 06:26 PM
PeterL

Old April 6th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Patty Winter

In article , Ken Pisichko wrote:
Rog' wrote:

Besides, you can collect those neat stamps. =R=

without buying a Subway sandwich ;-)

:-)

Actually, last time I went to Europe (1998), I was disappointed
in how often I *didn't* get any collectors stamps. Maybe it was
because I was using an EU passport. Of the three countries I
visited, I only got one stamp. :-( (Which makes it look like
I somehow mysteriously left France without ever having entered
it. :-)) Have those of you traveling through Europe on a U.S.
passport gotten stamped a lot?

I was also disappointed when I went to Thailand in 1970 and didn't
get a stamp in my passport; the written Thai language is so pretty.
But the guys checking passports were wearing military uniforms, so
I decided not to argue the point. :-) I ended up keeping some shopping
receipts as souvenirs of the language.

Patty

Old April 6th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Dave Smith

TNSAF wrote:

On my recent trip to Canada I was required to show my passport at the
airport when entering Canada as well as returning to the USA. From
what I understand thats been the case for a couple years now.

Negative!

All you need (for now) is a drivers licence (or government issued picture
ID) and a birth certificate.

I travel to the US frequently and have *never* had to show a passport!

I am always amazed that people like you and me can go back and forth across
the border without a passport and have no problem, and then someone comes
along and insists that you need one.

Old April 6th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Canis lupus

Dave Smith wrote:
TNSAF wrote:

On my recent trip to Canada I was required to show my passport at
the airport when entering Canada as well as returning to the USA.
From what I understand thats been the case for a couple years now.

Negative!

All you need (for now) is a drivers licence (or government issued
picture ID) and a birth certificate.

I travel to the US frequently and have *never* had to show a
passport!

I am always amazed that people like you and me can go back and forth
across the border without a passport and have no problem, and then
someone comes along and insists that you need one.

Yes, also considering both the US and Canadian web sites and the signs
posted at the crossings back-up our position.

If given a choice the officer/guard would prefer to see a passport but it is
not required!

Old April 6th, 2005, 08:46 PM
katleman

Rog' wrote:
"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:
Until this stuff goes into effect you have simply had to show
proof of citizenship and a photo ID. A Drivers License & Birth
Certificate sufficed.

I do not understand the reluctance of U.S. travelers to obtain and
use passports. While a bit pricey, they're good for 10 years and
are much more convenient than other forms of documentation.
Besides, you can collect those neat stamps.

Our family took a quick 5 day detour into Canada (to Banff)
last summer, since we were already up at Glacier in Montana.
For a family of 5, acquiring passports for that small detour
would have been a deal breaker at more than $450.

We have no plans to travel outside of North America, nor
do we expect to travel to Mexico or Canada again anytime soon.
This new wrinkle will certainly make us think twice about
any travel to Canada/Mexico.