Heathrow to Kings X?

Old April 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

Default Heathrow to Kings X?

It's years since I've needed to travel through London, and I've
forgotten what I once knew about public transport there.
I'll be coming into Heathrow on an early morning flight, and need to be
at Kings Cross in time to pick up my ticket and get on the 12 noon train
to Inverness.
I don't fancy having to struggle with my bags on escalators - if I take
the Underground (which line?) are there elevators or ramps to get to and
from the platforms?
I suppose I could take the Heathrow Express, and then a taxi - how easy
is it to find a taxi at Paddington on a weekday morning?
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:03:50 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

It's years since I've needed to travel through London, and I've
forgotten what I once knew about public transport there.
I'll be coming into Heathrow on an early morning flight, and need to be
at Kings Cross in time to pick up my ticket and get on the 12 noon train
to Inverness.
I don't fancy having to struggle with my bags on escalators - if I take
the Underground (which line?) are there elevators or ramps to get to and
from the platforms?
I suppose I could take the Heathrow Express, and then a taxi - how easy
is it to find a taxi at Paddington on a weekday morning?

The Picadilly line Underground connects Heathrow to Kings Cross,
which makes it very convenient.

We've used the Underground from Heathrow to Kings Cross on
several ocassions, with too much luggage. What we do at
escalators is one of us goes to the top (or botton) and the other
sets the bags on the escalator one at a time. But we've also
simply set the bags on a step of the escalator and ridden up with
them.

The only problem we encountered was the lack of an escalator on
the last part of the trip at Kings Cross, where you have to carry
the bags up a short flight of stairs from the concourse to the
street level.

Taxis are generally easy to find at railway statons. The problem
wiht taxis is not handiness, but traffic.

Old April 16th, 2010, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 4/16/2010 1:11 PM, Hatunen wrote:

The Picadilly line Underground connects Heathrow to Kings Cross,
which makes it very convenient.

That sounds good.

We've used the Underground from Heathrow to Kings Cross on
several ocassions, with too much luggage. What we do at
escalators is one of us goes to the top (or botton) and the other
sets the bags on the escalator one at a time. But we've also
simply set the bags on a step of the escalator and ridden up with
them.

That, doesn't sound good. UP isn't too bad - it's down escalators I have
a problem with, even without bags.

The only problem we encountered was the lack of an escalator on
the last part of the trip at Kings Cross, where you have to carry
the bags up a short flight of stairs from the concourse to the
street level.

I'll be travelling fairly light, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Taxis are generally easy to find at railway statons. The problem
wiht taxis is not handiness, but traffic.

True. How bad is it likely to be, going between Paddington and KingsX?
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andy Pandy

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 4/16/2010 1:11 PM, Hatunen wrote:

The Picadilly line Underground connects Heathrow to Kings Cross,
which makes it very convenient.

That sounds good.

We've used the Underground from Heathrow to Kings Cross on
several ocassions, with too much luggage. What we do at
escalators is one of us goes to the top (or botton) and the other
sets the bags on the escalator one at a time. But we've also
simply set the bags on a step of the escalator and ridden up with
them.

That, doesn't sound good. UP isn't too bad - it's down escalators I
have a problem with, even without bags.

IIRC there are lifts at Heathrow underground. It's not too far down
there anyway.

And King's X Piccadilly line is marked with the disabled symbol on the
underground map which says "step free access", guess this means there
are lifts there too.

The only problem we encountered was the lack of an escalator on
the last part of the trip at Kings Cross, where you have to carry
the bags up a short flight of stairs from the concourse to the
street level.

I'll be travelling fairly light, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Taxis are generally easy to find at railway statons. The problem
wiht taxis is not handiness, but traffic.

True. How bad is it likely to be, going between Paddington and
KingsX?

Probably not too bad mid morning, but the queues at Paddington for
taxis can be very long.

It's likey to be much quicker, easier and cheaper on the underground.

--
Andy

Old April 16th, 2010, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 4/16/2010 3:30 PM, Andy Pandy wrote:
"S wrote

IIRC there are lifts at Heathrow underground. It's not too far down
there anyway.

And King's X Piccadilly line is marked with the disabled symbol on the
underground map which says "step free access", guess this means there
are lifts there too.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

How bad is it likely to be, going between Paddington and
KingsX?

Probably not too bad mid morning, but the queues at Paddington for
taxis can be very long.

It's likey to be much quicker, easier and cheaper on the underground.

I like quick cheap, and easy - if I don't have to deal with escalators.
Thank you.
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 14:52:07 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 4/16/2010 1:11 PM, Hatunen wrote:

The Picadilly line Underground connects Heathrow to Kings Cross,
which makes it very convenient.

That sounds good.

We've used the Underground from Heathrow to Kings Cross on
several ocassions, with too much luggage. What we do at
escalators is one of us goes to the top (or botton) and the other
sets the bags on the escalator one at a time. But we've also
simply set the bags on a step of the escalator and ridden up with
them.

That, doesn't sound good. UP isn't too bad - it's down escalators I have
a problem with, even without bags.

AT Kings Cross the escalators you'll use will obviously be
up-escalators.

The only problem we encountered was the lack of an escalator on
the last part of the trip at Kings Cross, where you have to carry
the bags up a short flight of stairs from the concourse to the
street level.

I'll be travelling fairly light, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Taxis are generally easy to find at railway statons. The problem
wiht taxis is not handiness, but traffic.

True. How bad is it likely to be, going between Paddington and KingsX?

I wouldn't know.

Old April 17th, 2010, 04:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 4/17/2010 9:23 AM, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:
S wrote
in :

That, doesn't sound good. UP isn't too bad - it's down escalators I have
a problem with, even without bags.

There's an accessibility tube map

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-guide-map.pdf

This is the accessibility entry page