Americans gouged for money in Europe

Old October 26th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Deep Freud Moors

Default Americans gouged for money in Europe

Marie Lewis wrote in message
In article , PJ
O'Donovan writes
During London layovers, it has taken me years to adjust to paying 3X+
as much
for a cup of coffee compared to what it would cost in a major US city.

This is merely the exchange rate and the weakness of the American
dollar.

Still
can't understand the big problem with getting orange juice with
breakfast, particularly when I see it in the food markets there.
Always buy it in the market and consume it in hotel room to avoid
international incident.

You must be staying in very downmarket hotels. I have never stayed in a
British hotel or B&B where orange juice (and usually a selection of
other juices) has not be provided.

A crappy chain hotel I stayed at near NEC in Birmingham has a set size of
orange juice. They would fill a glass to the brim with ice, and pour a
measured amount OJ into it. I asked for an orange juice without ice one day,
and it reached about a third of the way up the glass.

I then repeated that I wanted 2 more glasses of orange juice, and proceeded
to pour them all into one glass, and then showed the waiter, saying "that is
a GLASS of orange juice". That little excercise cost my company about £8.
---
DFM

Old October 27th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Deep Freud Moors

Miguel Cruz wrote in message
Deep Freud Moors wrote:
I then repeated that I wanted 2 more glasses of orange juice, and

proceeded
to pour them all into one glass, and then showed the waiter, saying

"that is
a GLASS of orange juice". That little excercise cost my company about

£8.

Can anyone explain the hospitality industry's stinginess with orange juice
in particular?

A 1-liter box of generic orange juice costs about 30p at the Clapham
Junction LIDL, in London, one of the world's most expensive cities (and

I'm
sure restaurants can get it cheaper). That's enough for 4 real glasses,
which would therefore have cost them a whopping 8p apiece.

Ah, but these hotels have SPECIAL orange juice, which comes in pre-measured
amounts, and is of a sufficiently bland flavour for everyone's dislike.
Mediocrity doesn't come cheap you know.

On the far end of the scale, McDonalds OJ is simply a glass of water with a
vitamin C tablet dissolved in it.
---
DFM

Old October 27th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Tim Challenger

On 27 Oct 2003 07:10:00 -0800, PJ O'Donovan wrote:

During London layovers, it has taken me years to adjust to paying 3X+
as much
for a cup of coffee compared to what it would cost in a major US city.

That's got nothing to do with being an American. That's what the Brits pay
as well.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Old October 27th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Suz

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
On 27 Oct 2003 07:10:00 -0800, PJ O'Donovan wrote:

During London layovers, it has taken me years to adjust to paying 3X+
as much
for a cup of coffee compared to what it would cost in a major US city.

Didn't notice coffee being particularly cheap in Washington or NY. Should
give up caffeine anyway. It's bad for you. Drink water instead.