When Topflight Food Was Standard on Planes

Old November 13th, 2007, 04:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

Default When Topflight Food Was Standard on Planes

In article ,
Craig Welch wrote:

United Airlines' December 5, 1967 Baltimore-to-San Francisco flight
was a good one for a hungry passenger.

How has that changed?
http://tinyurl.com/245dwc

SQ now flies between Baltimore and San Francisco?! Since when?

In any case, none of this fancy-schmancy snob food is half as
good as a proper Wendy's hamburger

Old November 13th, 2007, 05:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rick Blaine

zorba wrote:

followed by a choice of lobster thermidor

You don't need a time machine to go back to 1967. I've ordered lobster thermador
on Singapore Air a couple of times in the past year.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
Craig Welch wrote:

The point wasn't the good food on *that route*, it was that airlines
used to serve decent food.
My point was that some still do.

What was that rule - about never eating at a place called Mom's
and avoiding any dish with ``jus'' in the name?

I've had many a good hamburger in my time ... none of them at a
'chain' of any kind.

You mean that you are eating hamburgers at places that are so ****ty,
there don't see enough demand to support even two locations?
No wonder you are impressed by airline food.

My wife and I eat such perfect hamburgers, purchased from the joint
across the road from the pub in the nearest town. Their buns are
made on the premises (no sesame seeds here!), and the patties are
cooked sufficiently rare that the blood from the beef and the
beetroot juice run down one's forearms in equal quantities as one
munches away.

Robo-Welch, is this you?! I coulda sworn I read this very sentence
somewhere... sometime...

http://tinyurl.com/2euaxy

Beetroot juice? potato chips with mustard? Victoria Bitter?
(as soon as I read the name, I could feel the foul aftertaste
in my mouth - and it's been years and years! Bletch!) Cuban
cigars to the accompaniment of AC/DC?

No wonder you don't have the foggiest what a good hamburger might
taste like.

And no thanks for reminding me that between 60 countries on
5 continents, food-wise rural Oz is certainly the most dismal and
desolate place I've been to.

Old November 13th, 2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

On Nov 13, 11:55 am, Craig Welch wrote:

The point wasn't the good food on *that route*, it was that airlines
used to serve decent food.

My point was that some still do.

And a point well made. It never ceases to amaze me that people will
choose their airline based entirely on cost, whine and complain about
the cost, demand an even lower cost, then spend the rest of the flight
bitching about the food and the size of the seats.

Pay for Business or First Class and you can get great food. Pay for
"cheap" and you get what you pay for.....cheap.

Old November 13th, 2007, 06:12 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

On Nov 13, 12:02 pm, Rick Blaine wrote:
zorba wrote:
followed by a choice of lobster thermidor

You don't need a time machine to go back to 1967. I've ordered lobster thermador
on Singapore Air a couple of times in the past year.

Go to the SQ site and find "Book The Cook" and you'll find plenty of
great food available.

Old November 13th, 2007, 06:44 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

Tchiowa wrote:

On Nov 13, 11:55 am, Craig Welch wrote:

The point wasn't the good food on *that route*, it was that airlines
used to serve decent food.

My point was that some still do.

And a point well made. It never ceases to amaze me that people will
choose their airline based entirely on cost, whine and complain about
the cost, demand an even lower cost, then spend the rest of the flight
bitching about the food and the size of the seats.

Pay for Business or First Class and you can get great food. Pay for
"cheap" and you get what you pay for.....cheap.

"Great food".. yeah, sure.
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:46 AM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
Craig Welch wrote:

I hardly think the proprietors of my local café are going to look to
open another.

I hardly think so, too, given their habit of putting mustard on
potato chips and beetroot on hamburgers (a deplorable custom in your
gawdforsaken corner of the world, I know).

It's a rather American notion that good food can be replicated by
pale imitations of a 'name' chef, or that the consistency of major
chains means quality.

Of course. That's why your countrymen are knocking themselves over
to get into the local outlets of American chains, and not vice versa.

http://tinyurl.com/2euaxy

Of course. Same place, same burgers. The thought is not original,
why should my words be?

Phew... I thought I was having a bad case of deja news.

What sort of cigars would you expect to accompany AC/DC?

Doesn't matter, as long as there are at least two - one per ear

No wonder you don't have the foggiest what a good hamburger might
taste like.

What might it taste like?

Like an overcooked piece of cardboard from a
Wendy's^H^H^H^H^Hquality chain outlet, natcherly.
And it wouldn't involve any beetroot.