Varadero Cuba - any interesting places around?

Old August 19th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Alan D.

Default Varadero Cuba - any interesting places around?

Hello everyone,
In couple weeks I'm off to Varadero Cuba. This will be my very first time in
an "all-inclusive". So far I've been travelling independetly around the
world but for this one week, there's really no time to go anywhere else so I
decided to go for it.

I'd prefer not to stay on the beach or in the pool all day long but to do
some "exploring" on my own (if possible). Therefore, for those that have
been there, my question is - what day trips can I make from Varadero. Are
there any interesting places worth visiting (by interesting I mean - some
historical / archaeological places where you can experience the Cuban
culture / music) ? I'm planning to go for one day to Havana (with a group or
by myself if possible). I also heard that there is some pretty cool
snorkeling around. I have a LP guide book to Cuba, and there are some
sugestions there, but I thought I'd ask people in this group as well, for
their personal experiences / opinions. I'd greatly appreciate any
recommendations. Thank you in adavnce.

Best regards,

Alan D.

Old August 19th, 2004, 03:07 PM
John

"Alan D." ) writes:
Hello everyone,
I'd prefer not to stay on the beach or in the pool all day long but to do
some "exploring" on my own (if possible). Therefore, for those that have
been there, my question is - what day trips can I make from Varadero. Are
there any interesting places worth visiting (by interesting I mean - some
historical / archaeological places where you can experience the Cuban
culture / music) ? I'm planning to go for one day to Havana (with a group or
by myself if possible).

ask around when you're there if there are any events - August is carnival
season

Trinidad is a restored colonial city - World Heritage site
in addition to the architecture - music around, and a nice
beach close by at Ancon
http://www.habanasol.com/trinidad.htm

Playa Giron - Bay of Pigs has an anti-US museum - and poor beaches, and
a tacky alligator farm

I also heard that there is some pretty cool
snorkeling around.

- snorkeling off the beach at Varadero is good for seeing sand - but
for cool, there are nearby caves you can swim / snorkel in - complete
with stalactites - the water is cool there

I have a LP guide book to Cuba, and there are some
sugestions there, but I thought I'd ask people in this group as well, for
their personal experiences / opinions. I'd greatly appreciate any
recommendations. Thank you in adavnce.

Best regards,

Alan D.

enjoy,
Sandy

--
Camaron que se duerme se lo lleva la corriente
Shrimp that fall asleep are carried away by the current
Old August 19th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Myron Hanch

I would be interested to know if there is any good snorkelling spots around
Varadero ?
Thanks!

"John (Sandy) MacTavish" wrote in message

Hello everyone,