First time to Europe - Itlay or Switzerland? We have 7 days total

Old April 21st, 2005, 08:03 PM
Shivani

Default First time to Europe - Itlay or Switzerland? We have 7 days total

Hi Europe gurus,

I'm going to Europe for the first time and I want to see either Itlay
or Switzerland in 7 days ( I know this is short and I won't be able to
do justice to all the places but this is what I have in hand). can
someone help me decide which of the two countries I should see?

Also, if itlay, how would you spend 7 days there? if switzerland, how
would you spend 7 days there? Do I need a car in either of the two
places?

Thanks,
Shivani

Old April 21st, 2005, 08:10 PM

What are you more interested in: history and art (Italy) or mountains,
natural beauty and outdoor sports (Switzerland)?

Old April 21st, 2005, 08:10 PM

Old April 21st, 2005, 09:11 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On 21 Apr 2005 12:03:25 -0700, "Shivani"
wrote:

Hi Europe gurus,

I'm going to Europe for the first time and I want to see either Itlay
or Switzerland in 7 days ( I know this is short and I won't be able to
do justice to all the places but this is what I have in hand). can
someone help me decide which of the two countries I should see?

Well, I love Italy a lot, but then I do live here. Switzerland is also
great, but more expensive, more organised, and very clean, bordering
on sterile. Switzerland is more about the collosal scenery, Italy is
more about the lifestyle, history, and stunning architecture.

Also, if itlay, how would you spend 7 days there?

Rome for 4 days, and a side trip to Florence. Include 2 rest days in
that.

if switzerland, how
would you spend 7 days there?

Wandering round the mountains, and trying to focus on the scenery and
not my rapidly diminishing bank balance.

Do I need a car in either of the two
places?

No.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:50 AM
Claim Guy

wrote in message
oups.com...
What are you more interested in: history and art (Italy) or mountains,
natural beauty and outdoor sports (Switzerland)?

What?

No natural beauty, or outdoor sports in Italy?

And no history or art in Switzerland?

Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:52 AM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:50:41 -0400, "Claim Guy"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
What are you more interested in: history and art (Italy) or mountains,
natural beauty and outdoor sports (Switzerland)?

What?

No natural beauty, or outdoor sports in Italy?

And no history or art in Switzerland?

You could go to Holland to stroll through the hills, but perhaps there
are better places...
--
---
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:10 PM
Ingeborg Denner

"Shivani" wrote in message
oups.com...

Also, if itlay, how would you spend 7 days there?

If I hadn't done that already, I spent two full days sightseeing
in Venice (you'll have barely scratched the surface in two days,
but little is better than nothing at all), two days sightseeing
in Ravenna, then go over to Tuscany, rent a car, cruise around,
enjoy the scenery and the food. (And, if you're not designated
driver, the wine.)

if switzerland, how
would you spend 7 days there?

No car, no cities, no sightseeing, only walking, great scenery,
good food. Get a hotel room in a region that appeals to you
and do day trips walking in the mountains. Estimate your
mountaineering skills realistically.

inge

Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:00 PM
Mimi

"Shivani" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Europe gurus,

Also, if itlay, how would you spend 7 days there? if switzerland, how
would you spend 7 days there? Do I need a car in either of the two
places?

You could fly into Milan, spend a couple nights at Lake Como on the southern
edge of the Alps, then go to Florence, on to Rome and fly out of Rome. That
would combine the Alps, a lake, and traditional Italy. However, that's too
much traveling for me. Maybe just Florence and Rome in Italy. Or Venice and
Rome.

In Switzerland, assuming it's in season, I'd park myself in Interlaken, take
trains up into the Bernese Oberland and boats on Lakes Brienz and Thun.

An open jaws flight allows you not to back-track. Switzerland has wonderland
public transportation, no need for a car. And you won't need one in Italy
either for this short a trip.

Marianne