Holiday in Barbados

Old May 14th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Petal & Leif

Default Holiday in Barbados

"Felix" wrote in message
I have been following this newsgroup for some time and have picked up
some useful tips. However, I am looking for some up-to-date info.

My wife and I are going to Barbados on 5 June for 2 weeks, staying at
the Sand Acres Beach Club, Christ Church. It will be our first visit
(except for a few hours ashore from a cruise ship many years ago).

The apartment is self-catering. What are the best places to buy food?
Supermarkets?

I am sure there is some small market nearby the hotel. But if you are
looking for a larger one with more things and lower prices, you can take a
trip to Trimart supermarket in Worthings. They have everything you need,
pluss a little extra.
Trimart is on the main road, not long after you pass St.Lawrence Gap.
If you turn right in the cross between Trimart and the gas station, you can
follow the road up 100 meters, and you have Big B on the left. That is also
a large and cheap place to shop. And they have some nice and good local warm
food to that is very cheap. You should try some macaroni pai while being in
Barbados.
Both these supermarkets are places you can go for big shopping. It is not
within walking distance, but all you need to do is to go out on the main
road and take a minibus. They go all the time.

Where are the best places to eat? How does Oistins work? Do you buy
the fish separately then take it somewhere to be cooked? Is it
possible (and safe) to walk from Christ Church?

There are several good places in St.Lawrence gap to go for dinner.
St.Lawrence Gap is in air distance very close to your hotel. At daytime you
can just walk on the beach and pass trough Casuarina hotel, and then you are
right in the gap. At night, you MUST NOT go on the beach, and it is best to
take a taxi up there. Because even if it is close, the road is taking a long
long turn, so it is very far to walk. I highly recommend Josefs. Ask for a
table down by the waterside. Very romantic, very good food. But not cheap.
Chefette is the place to go for cheap junkfood. Knocked out McDonalds in
short time. They had to close their restaurant in Barbados, while Chefette
is growing and growing and growing.
In Bridgetown there is Waterfront Cafe that is a great place to go. But if
you want local cheap and good food, go in second floor at Cave Sheperd in
Broad street. I dont know if you are planning to eat brekfast at your hotel.
We did that most days. But a cople days we had brekfast at The F1 Cafe in
St.Lawrence Gap. Located between Ship Inn and Reggea Lounge. Right across
the street of Josefs. Nice brekfast there.

Oistins: You buy the fish ready cooked/steaked. Try the spicy fish cakes on
the corner shop. I think there is a sign saying something like "legendary
fishcakes" or something so. It is a long walk from your hotel to Oistins. I
would walk it with no problem, but I recommend a minibus. Safe to walk that
distance at night? I dont know that area too well, how it is in the nights.
But in general, avoid walking places without people/houses. And as said:
Dont fall for the temptation to go for a romantic walk on the beach at
night. I walk ALL over Barbados at night. And is never afraid to do so. But
I never ever go to the beach. Baxters Road used to be a cool and different
place to go at night. Then it started to be fewer and fewer people that went
out there. Much crime and trouble. But it seems like the street has lived up
again, because they had a large article about "the street that never sleep"
in Visitors Magasine. I did not go to see myself, but would be surprised if
the Visitor printed an article for tourists, if there was nothing going on.

We don't particularly want to hire a car but might want to for, say,
2-3 days each week. Who is the best car hire firm? Is it worth-while
to have a car for the whole time?

We rented a car for one week at Coconut Car Rental. It costed us about 550
BDS for that week. That was a small car with AC. Dons Car Rental could
deliver a similar type car for 500 BDS. We went for Dons last time, but
ended up waiting a long long long time to give back the car after using it.
He should come at 10, and we were at least waiting to 2-3 in the afternoon.
Other than that, we had nothing against Don.
www.coconutcar.com

What is the public transport like? Can we get to most of the island
that way for days out?

Public transport is very good. Lots of small vans, and also larger buses
that traffic the entire island. A suggestion is that you take a Speightstown
bus up along the west coast. And you can also take a bus in to Bridgetown
to the main bus station and go on to a bus that take you to Batsheba. And
also one that take you up to Harrisons Caves.
Those 3 rides will cost you nothing more than 9 Barbados dollars each, And
you have seen a lot of the island.

What about taxis? Would it make sense to get a car and driver for a
day's tour of the island, say?

I like to drive myself, in my own speed and to stop as often and long as I
want to. I dont really feel that well stopping all the time if I drove a
taxi. But then again, if you have a taxi, you also have a good guide. I dont
need a good guide, so for me it is better do drive myself, or ride my
bicycle.

What and where are the best buys?

Rum.
Tax free shopping in most shops in Broad Street. But often it is cheaper in
the paralell street called Swan Street.

When In Rome ... etc, so we intend to drink rum. Is it better to buy
some duty-free before leaving the UK or is it cheaper when we get
there (we bought some fantastic 100-proof rum last time, but it was
from a duty-free shop at the port).

I belive it is cheaper in Barbados. There is no tax on local made rum. So it
does not matter if you buy that tax free or not. Buy in rum shops, that is
probably cheaper than in the tourist shops.

Do the locals welcome visitors at
the rum bars (shops?)

Yes they do.

Sorry if this sounds like a request for a guide book, but I always
think personal recommendation is much better than reading a guide when
you never know if the author is paid for entries.

Agree.

If you have more things you wonder about before you leave, just go ahead and
ask.

Leif Arild
Norway

Leif Arild for President!

Old May 14th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Petal & Leif

One more thing that I just remembered:
I have always used to call home from Cable and Wireless office in
Bridgetown, or some phone boot on the street.
Calling home to Norway like that, has cost me almost 6 Barbados dollars a
minute.
This time, at my favorite internet place, they offered overseas phoning as
well. I called home for about 1 dollar a minute! Not bad saving at all.
This is where it is: If you drive from your hotel towards Bridgetown, you
will pass Rockley Beach on your left side, and Chefette on your right side.
Just a little later on, you have a small mall on the same side as Chefette.
The mall is named Hastings Plaza. Next to Hastings Plaza there is a used car
sales place. And across the street from that one, there is a blue and white
building. Look for the sign on the street with Internet Acess. You can also
use internet there for only 3 dollars for 20 minutes. Not bad at all.

Leif Arild

Leif Arild for President!