QM 2 & QE2 to Sail Together!

Old April 30th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Tom & Linda

Default QM 2 & QE2 to Sail Together!

"Howie" wrote in message
news
Tom & Linda wrote:

All you had to do is be around at the time to understand how. It was

like a
flower that bloomed in front of your eyes. They were a major catalyst

(good
word for them) toward starting the process of change back then... almost
like "increasing the length of guy's hair"... which tuned into the 60's.
They were one of the matches that started the big forrest fire that grew

us
out of the crew cuts of the 50's and spawned long hair, college kids who
weren't affraid to say what they thought, hippies, smoking weed, anti
Vietnam war rallies, a whole generation of change, girls wearing jeans
instead of dresses, civil rights, questioning our politicians, Bob

Dylan,
Berkely, burning draft cards.... the list goes on and on.

My own teen years occurred smack in the middle of these times, Tom. I I
don't think the Beatles were responsible for most of the above. Long
hair, for sure, Tom. But "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "She Love You
(yeah, yeah, yeah)" were hardly catalysts for the free speech movement
at Berkeley, draft card burning, smoking weed, or most of the things you
mention. Dylan's music and influence actually preceded the Beatles.
Actually, I think it would be more correct to say that the Beatles were,
themselves, strongly influenced by the things that you list.

Howie

Since you were a psych major... and therefore what you say isn't really what
you mean...

Thank you for agreeing with me.

--Tom

Old April 30th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Howie

Benjamin Smith wrote:

Howie wrote:

Tom & Linda wrote:

[...]

Dylan would seem to me to be a catalyst for change. "I Wanna Hold Your
Hand" and "She Loves You) are early Beatles? The Beatles I like are the
Beatles of "Elanor Rigby" and "Hey Jude".

And what did the Beat generation have to do with catalyst for change?
The Ginbsbergs and the Kuraoucs?

Everything!

Howie

Ben

Howie

Old April 30th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Howie

RTCReferee wrote:

Howie wrote:

Dylan's music and influence actually preceded the Beatles.
Actually, I think it would be more correct to say that the Beatles were,
themselves, strongly influenced by the things that you list.

I definitely agree. The song that comes to mind is Dylan's "Blowin' in the
Wind."

"How many years can some people exist
Before they're allowed to be free?
How many times can a man turn his head
And pretend that he just doesn't see?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind."

And Dylan's "The Times They Are A Changin."

The arrival of the Beatles reminds me more of the impact of Elvis Presley, i.e.
mega-star entertainers, complete with teen girls screaming and fainting, more
than instruments of social change, though they later wrote and performed songs
with social commentary.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:15 AM
Jeff Coudriet

Don't forget "Pet Sounds" tho....