Getting a train from Vienna to Serbia in late December

Old November 3rd, 2003, 07:43 PM
Dan McLean

Default Getting a train from Vienna to Serbia in late December

I want to travel from Vienna to Subotica (in Serbia) by train on 19th of
December, returning two days later on 21st of December. I looked up the
German railways timetables web site and there is a train that leaves Vienna
at 10:07 from now until 13th of December and then the train appears to stop
running ???

When I examine the route from Vienna to Belgrade for the dates I need it
does show Subotica but there is no arrival/departure time, only the letters
Gr, can anyone tell me what the letters mean please ? Could it be Stop by
request or what ? Similarly the train coming back from Subotica to Vienna
has no arr/dep time just the letters Gr again.

Appreciate any help on this matter, THANKS, Dan.

Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:23 PM
tile

I think the best way to go to Subotica is from Budapest..
It si the main route from Budapest to Beograd.-

Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:54 PM
Martin Stock

"Dan McLean" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I want to travel from Vienna to Subotica (in Serbia) by train on 19th of
December, returning two days later on 21st of December. I looked up the
German railways timetables web site and there is a train that leaves

Vienna
at 10:07 from now until 13th of December and then the train appears to

stop
running ???

The timetables changes at 14th December in all of Europe and for many
countries the new data is not yet in the system.
You have to check this again at a later point of time.
But normally there is a good chance, that the times of this train won't
change or at least not much.

When I examine the route from Vienna to Belgrade for the dates I need it
does show Subotica but there is no arrival/departure time, only the

letters
Gr, can anyone tell me what the letters mean please ? Could it be Stop by
request or what ? Similarly the train coming back from Subotica to Vienna
has no arr/dep time just the letters Gr again.

Gr is a shortcut for the German "Grenze" = border in English.
These are only virtual tariff points in the system - no real stops.
Let's assume you have an rail pass valid for Austria. If you want to travel
to Beograd now, you just have to buy a ticket from "Jesenice(Gr)" (the
border tariff point at the Austrian/Slovenian border) to Beograd.

For normal point-to-point tickets between "real" stations (i.e. Vienna to
Beograd) these points are not of any importance.

Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:48 PM
Bjorn Olsson

"Dan McLean" wrote in message ...
I want to travel from Vienna to Subotica (in Serbia) by train on 19th of
December, returning two days later on 21st of December. I looked up the
German railways timetables web site and there is a train that leaves Vienna
at 10:07 from now until 13th of December and then the train appears to stop
running ???

When I examine the route from Vienna to Belgrade for the dates I need it
does show Subotica but there is no arrival/departure time, only the letters
Gr, can anyone tell me what the letters mean please ?

I'm would guess it means border-crossing ("grenz", or something
similar, in German). It says Gr after both Hegyeshalom and Subotica,
which I would guess are located at the Austrian/Hungarian and
Hungarian/Serbian border crossings.

I can't find confirmation of this in the manual pages, but it seems to
make sense.

Bjorn
Old November 4th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Dan McLean

Thanks all for the help, I was beginning to panic as I was going to a
wedding in Serbia that week-end but your explanations have cleared that all
up, will just have to wait a few weeks till they update their Winter
timetables. Thanks also for the explanation for Gr, coming from a German web
site it makes sense as Grenzen is the German name for border and Subotica is
the first stop after the Hungarian border.

Best Regards, Dan.