Driving in Ohio

Old September 23rd, 2004, 07:15 AM
John James

Default Driving in Ohio

Hi

I will be visiting Ohio in a few weeks time and wonder if someone can
point me to a web site (or explain to me) where I can find out the basic
road rules. I have driven in many parts of Europe and Australia but do
not know the rules of the road for the USA, eg give way to the right, etc.

Many thanks

John J
Old September 23rd, 2004, 07:38 AM
Patty Winter

In article ,
John James wrote:

I will be visiting Ohio in a few weeks time and wonder if someone can
point me to a web site (or explain to me) where I can find out the basic
road rules.

I did a quick Google search and found the Ohio Bureau of Motor
Vehicles site, which has a link to a "Digest of Motor Vehicle
Laws." http://bmv.ohio.gov/bmv.html

Patty

Old September 23rd, 2004, 07:39 AM
Jon Bell

In article ,
John James wrote:

I will be visiting Ohio in a few weeks time and wonder if someone can
point me to a web site (or explain to me) where I can find out the basic
road rules.

Try to Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles site at

http://bmv.ohio.gov/bmv.html

The dropdown menu includes a "Sample Driver License Knowledge Test" and a
"Digest of Motor Vehicle Laws".

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College

(a former Ohioan)
Old September 23rd, 2004, 07:44 AM
John James

Thanks a lot Patty.

I did do a search like you but did not come up with anything helpful.
Guess I nees to learn about search engines. ;-)

John

Old September 23rd, 2004, 07:50 AM
Patty Winter

In article ,
John James wrote:
Thanks a lot Patty.

I did do a search like you but did not come up with anything helpful.
Guess I nees to learn about search engines. ;-)

It may have helped that as an American, I'm familiar with the likely
terms for the departments that have driving laws on hand. You may have
completely different terminology in Australia. (I actually tried "Ohio
Department of Motor Vehicles," but it was close enough that the first
result was the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles.)

Enjoy your visit! Ohio should be very pretty in the fall.

Patty

Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:20 PM
Agena 2003

non-smoking restaurants in Ohio
http://www.smokefreeworld.com/ohio.shtml
Old September 23rd, 2004, 07:18 PM
Fustanella

non-smoking restaurants in Ohio

I'm sure that'll be handy so that the driver knows not to park his car in
the seating area, thereby keeping the exhaust system out in the open where
it belongs. Jeez. Can you be any more off-topic, asks this non-smoker?

Old September 25th, 2004, 02:51 PM
SP Cook

John James wrote in message

I will be visiting Ohio in a few weeks time and wonder if someone can
point me to a web site (or explain to me) where I can find out the basic
road rules. I have driven in many parts of Europe and Australia but do
not know the rules of the road for the USA, eg give way to the right, etc.

You will be fine, the same rules of the road apply most places. The
big things to remember are to "think backwards" in terms of left and
right, and to think in terms of the US standard system of miles and
feet, and learn the basics of signage, especially if traveling on an
interstate.

The biggest think to remember is that in the USA, and especially in
Ohio, speedlimits are posted FAR too low and 95% of traffic speeds.
Its a big game between the citizens, the cops, and the insurance
companies. If you are used to using the posted speedlimit as a guide
to what the road conditions justify, you will be disappointed. I just
"keep up with the flow of traffic", which is generally about 10 over.