Bilingual in Europe versus USA

Old August 28th, 2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mxsmanic

Default Bilingual in Europe versus USA

erilar writes:

Actually, though I also have problems with Indian English pronunciation
myself, it does use the same grammar as mine. Black English, whatever
its current PC "name", has significant grammatical differences.

Black English is substandard.

Old August 28th, 2006, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:33:11 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

erilar writes:

Actually, though I also have problems with Indian English pronunciation
myself, it does use the same grammar as mine. Black English, whatever
its current PC "name", has significant grammatical differences.

Black English is substandard.

No more "substandard" than any other dialect.

Old August 28th, 2006, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Padraig Breathnach

wrote:

erilar writes:

Actually, though I also have problems with Indian English pronunciation
myself, it does use the same grammar as mine. Black English, whatever
its current PC "name", has significant grammatical differences.

Black English is substandard.

No more "substandard" than any other dialect.

I agree with the idea that no dialect is substandard, but the label
"substandard" has been used by linguistics scholars in the past. Then
"nonstandard" got a run. Nowadays there is a preference not to focus
on the idea of deviation from a standard.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Anderson[_1_]

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:53:21 +0200, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, tim (back at home) wrote:

for both languages (for example: "rue JENATZY straat").
I've seen that in Canada.

I discovered this week that they do it in Wales too.

Like "via GARIBALDI strasse" in Alto Adige / Suedtirol ?

They can do it also in Val d'Aosta, but the small letter writing has to
be on the same side

piazza CHANOUX
place

In Wales, I don't recall seeing abbreviated street names as above.

Normally speaking, if Welsh is the first language in an area, on
direction signs and street signs, the Welsh comes first: if English is
the first language then it's the other way round.

Some examples here - Caernarfon/Caernarvon is Welsh-speaking, so Welsh
comes first - in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan, English comes
first.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...Welsh_language

BTW, this one's MUCH easier to say after a few beers...... :-)

http://www.fishing-in-kite-country.c...ges/bwylch.jpg

Keith, Bristol, UK

Email: usenet[dot]20[dot]keefy[at]spamgourmet[dot]com

This is a sp*mtrap, but I will get your mail!
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mxsmanic

Hatunen writes:

No more "substandard" than any other dialect.

Try getting a job with it.

Old August 28th, 2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:49:09 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Hatunen writes:

No more "substandard" than any other dialect.

Try getting a job with it.

There are jobs available with it. Admittedly not great jobs ...

So your definition of "standard" is that you can get a job with
it?

Old August 28th, 2006, 10:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Frightens Me

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:50:47 +0200, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Dave Frightens Me wrote:

The Italians HATE the verb get. If I want to confuse someone, I simply

Do they reply with verb "fare" and with the noun "cosa" ? :-)

'Fare' is easy, coz it's basically the same as do/make. I think it's
the same in French.

There's no easy way to translate 'get' into Italian.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Frightens Me

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 18:05:53 +0200, B wrote:

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:05:13 +0200, Dave Frightens Me
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:31:29 +0200, B wrote:

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 18:40:56 +0200, Dave Frightens Me
wrote:

The closeness is indiscernible. In some parts American pronounciation
misses out other consonants anyway, like the 't' in boat.

That "t" is there, it's just softer than in the British pronunciation.
Americans but their tongue in "t" position, which "stops" the vowel.
They just omit the little puff of air that the Brits add at the end.

In much of London the 't' is completely omitted!

It's still there, it's just a different "stop", probably a glottal
stop. "Goat" isn't pronounced the same as "go", for example.

That's about right. They usually just give it a throatal halt (if you
know what I mean).
--
---
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Frightens Me

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:24:30 -0500, erilar
wrote:

In article ,
Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 10:19:10 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Wolfgang Schwanke writes:

Only if you find unetymological spellings an improvement.

I prefer consistent and phonetic spelling, given a choice.

Even American English is no closer than British in that respect.

It's largely the fault of Willie the ******* back in 1066 8-)

Some languages are much closer to phonetic than English. I hear Spanish
is. I know German is.

And Italian too, with the exception of 'h', which is seen as silent.

I would go as far as to say most European languages are phonetically
consistent.
--
---
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Frightens Me

wrote:

erilar writes:

Actually, though I also have problems with Indian English pronunciation
myself, it does use the same grammar as mine. Black English, whatever
its current PC "name", has significant grammatical differences.

Black English is substandard.

You are of course aware that that's derogatory.

Are you in need of attention again?
--
---