Old Conventional Wisdom Locks on Softsides

Old October 5th, 2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Default Old Conventional Wisdom Locks on Softsides

For most of the 20th Century the conventional wisdom for people who
drove convertible automobiles (cars with soft tops) was to never lock
the vehicle. Thieves would simply cut the top to get what they wanted.
Then you still lost the item(s) and you had to repair the top.

Despite the latest advice to use TSA locks on softsided luggage,
doesn't the old wisdom still apply? There are still many current
incidences of TSA damaging zippers and softsides to remove even TSA
locks. And even when the bag is not damaged, the locks are frequently
missing after TSA checking. Thieves can easily access bag contents
with a knife or razor, thus also damaging the bag. How would one then
continue the trip with a large hole in the side of a bag with the
contents spilling out? And won't the baggage damage problems even get
worse with the extra luggage being checked these days?

The question then is, should I really put locks on my softside (in this
case a duffel)? Wouldn't those little plastic locking tabs make more
sense. Even the TSA would find them easier to cut than the zipper or
sides of your luggage.

Old October 5th, 2006, 11:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
DRPSZ

:
[...]

Thieves and TSA are slightly different.

Let's take thieves first. It is like why lock a house when thieves can
break windows? Indeed, there would be no point if your house was the
only house. However, why would a thief bother with windows if he can
find doors open? He would go after the most vulnerable houses and your
task is to make yours less attractive. The same applies to luggage. Why
would a thief bother with knife etc if he can just open bags?

Now TSA: At US airports I indeed don't lock my bags. If traveling
abroad, I have locks available and at foreign airports I do lock them.
Old October 6th, 2006, 12:49 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
glenn P

I think locks are a waste of time. You are not seriously keeping anyone out
of your bag, just stopping snoopers.

When travelling light with a soft bag, I use signed cable ties. Not for
"security", but for tamper evidence.

oups.com...

Old October 6th, 2006, 02:00 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On 5 Oct 2006 13:59:18 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I used cable ties on my cases, which had a steel frame but
soft material. The small, thin black ones that you can buy
from any el cheapo shop. I had one small external pocket
which I left unlocked/untied with a nail clipper and spare
cable ties in it and used that to cut the ties before I hit
customs.

Our bags were opened by TSA (or equivalent) only three times
in about thirty flights in two 'round the world trips
without problems. I presumed that they used a simple knife
or clipper to do it.

Our bags were damaged by baggage handlers more often than
that, and locks would have made no difference to that. If
you are packing anything remotely fragile in your duffel,
make sure it's in the deep centre surrounded by clothes.

Pack as though you expect it to be handled to get the same
effect as being dropped from the roof of a two-storey
building to the tarmac. And expect the airline baggage
section to consider that to be "fair wear and tear".

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:45 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
Dave Frightens Me

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:49:31 +1000, "glenn P"
wrote:

I think locks are a waste of time. You are not seriously keeping anyone out
of your bag, just stopping snoopers.

When travelling light with a soft bag, I use signed cable ties. Not for
"security", but for tamper evidence.

What do you mean by 'signed'?

I use cable ties too whenever I go anywhere near Asia, as you are more
concerned about someone putting something in than taking something
out!
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old October 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 11:45:13 +0200, Dave Frightens Me
wrote:

I think locks are a waste of time. You are not seriously keeping anyone out
of your bag, just stopping snoopers.

When travelling light with a soft bag, I use signed cable ties. Not for
"security", but for tamper evidence.

What do you mean by 'signed'?

I use cable ties too whenever I go anywhere near Asia, as you are more
concerned about someone putting something in than taking something
out!

It never occurred to me that there could be another reason.
I don't put anything in checked luggage that I can't afford
to lose.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia
(PeteCresswell)

Per Dave Frightens Me:
I use cable ties too whenever I go anywhere near Asia, as you are more
concerned about someone putting something in than taking something
out!

As in drugs to smuggle? Or illegal stuff to set you up for police extortion?
--
PeteCresswell

Old Conventional Wisdom Locks on Softsides [email protected] Air travel 27 November 17th, 2006 11:51 PM
TSA locks: does TSA break them? void Air travel 4 May 21st, 2006 06:28 PM
New locks are key to luggage inspections Ablang Air travel 0 May 10th, 2004 03:37 AM
Search Alert Luggage Tags Jacqui B. Cruises 13 May 5th, 2004 06:05 AM
Warning: Do NOT buy TSA-certified locks. void Asia 15 January 31st, 2004 07:06 PM