Costa Rica

Old April 4th, 2006, 01:26 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

Default Costa Rica

Does anyone have any travel suggestions (must see places) for Costa
Rica as well as hotels? Also, how is the exchange rate? I understand
the colon is the currency, but how much does one get for one's dollar?
Thanks!

Old April 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

You must see volcanos Paso and Aernal.
Brallio Carrillo National Park (I probably spelled that wrong)
Coffee plantations
Manuel Antonio
Cloud Forest
Pacific beaches
Hotels - Tabaccon Hot Springs, Aernal Lodge,
Hotel Costa Verde (Quepos)
I won't tell you about my favorite hotel. I want to keep it a secret.
Pura Vida,
ups.com...

Old April 5th, 2006, 01:12 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

Every once in awhile someone asks what to do in Costa Rica. I went there
three times in one year and loved it! We stay at the Balmoral Hotel when we
first get there. It is very moderately priced, clean, safe, and has
excellent service, and Costa Rican coffee on tap all the time! It is
located on the Pedestrian Street (all cobblestone, no cars) which is close
to the Gold and Jade museums. There is a little "soda" across the street.
A soda is what the locals call a cafe--very inexpensive and informal. There
is a regular restaurant off the hotel. We would walk around at all hours of
the day and night and feel perfectly safe. Off the lobby of the Balmoral is
a nice little tours and travel shop that can hook you up with several tours.
The Butterfly Farm is inexpensive and interesting. I am not any part of the
travel industry (I wish!), but there is a tour that I would highly recommend
anyone to take their first full day in CR just to get a good overview of the
country. I just happened to run across this info again, and thought I'd
pass it on. This tour is called "The Highlights Tour" and it is operated by
Ecoscape nature Tours. Their telephone number is (506) 297-0664/FAX
297-0549 and their e mail is: This tour is
allllll day long. They pick you up at your hotel in an air-conditioned
mini bus and you see: Poas Volcano and Cloud Forest, La Paz Waterfalls, ride
through the Braulio Carrillo National Park, take a jungle boat cruise up the
Sarapiqui River (you will see all kinds of wildlife--howler monkeys, caiman,
bats, sloths, etc.), breakfast at a beautiful bed and breakfast overlooking
the Central Valley and coffee fields in Alajuela. Lunch is at Selva Verde
Lodge where you can see some beautiful birds and wildlife. They also stop
along the way to see a place that has huge numbers of hummingbirds--all
kinds of varieties--that come up close. They also have tarantulas on
display. Oh, also there was a
stop at a coffee plantation. You get back to your hotel around 7 in the
evening. Makes a very full day and you see so much. The price of this is
$79 per person, and worth every penny.

Another place I would not want to miss is Arenal Volcano. I've stayed at
the Arenal Observatory Lodge twice. It is quite rustic, but gives you a
"National Geographic" feel--which is the group that originally built this
place. Reservations phone # is (506) 257-9489. The Lodge number is (506)
257-5033. Fax number is (506) 257-4220. e mail is

We got the tour office at the Balmoral to hook us up on a day tour that goes
up to Arenal. Since the tour was round trip, we only paid half the price
and got the benefit of a couple other stops including Sarchi, where they
make the painted ox carts. When you go to Arenal, don't pass up the free
morning hike (except I think it is $1 to get into one area, but the guide
doesn't charge. Your guide will take you up to the old lava flow and also
through the forest pointing out animals, birds, and insects that you would
otherwise walk right by without him pointing them out. He is a walking
guide book of knowledge. He literally will tell you what page of the guide
book a certain specie can be found on! (then he
proves it!) Take some of those little mini binoculars with you to view birds
and wild life.
In the same area as Arenal is the town of La Fortuna where Tabacon Hot
Springs Resort is. You can go to for the day even without staying at their
hotel. It is a beautifully manicured "park" with multiple naturally heated
hot springs. The volcano is what heats them up. Some areas are hotter than
others. There is a clean, modern locker room where you can rent towels,
change clothes, take a shower, etc. Don't worry about being "in shape" to
enjoy it. You'll see all kinds of people from all over the world enjoying
the springs. You can also have spa treatments done there if you want. They
have a nice restaurant there as well.

We also took a bus (from the Coca Cola station--watch your stuff at all
times there, as it is a place famous for pick pockets) from San Jose down to
Manuel Antonio park. It is in the south on the ocean. You'll see lots of
monkeys, iguanas, and sloths there. Very tropical feel.

We have also gone to a resort up in Guanacaste (the northwest coast). It
felt like being in Texas. Kind of dried out. The beaches are black sand.
We are scuba divers, and weren't real impressed with the amount or variety
of fish there. If you've never gone snorkeling, I guess it would be a
treat, though.

On our way home, we always stay at the Best Western in San Jose, because the
have free airport transfers for when you want to go back (they don't pick
you up from the airport, however). It is a very nice hotel, but not in an
area that you would feel comfortable walking around at night in. There is a
taxi driver that will take you anywhere you want to go in the evening for
tips only. The BW has a breakfast buffet that comes with it that is very
good. There is an indoors pool, as well.

Hope this gives you a head start on a few things you might want to take in
when you go to Costa Rica. Just don't make the mistake of seeing a map or
mileage charts thinking you can take in too many things in one day. The
roads are twisty and turny. And there are giant pot holes and sheer drop
offs. My recommendation is to leave the driving to those who know the area.
It's not expensive to take local transportation or to hire a driver. Have
fun! Jane

ups.com...

Old April 5th, 2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

thank you so much for the information!

Old April 8th, 2006, 02:20 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america

What do you know about Mimo's Hotel between Quepos and Manuel Antonio? We
are planning our 1st trip to Costa Rica at the end of next February...flying
in from Mexico. Your information is great...thank you.

"G&G" wrote in message
You must see volcanos Paso and Aernal.
Brallio Carrillo National Park (I probably spelled that wrong)
Coffee plantations
Manuel Antonio
Cloud Forest
Pacific beaches
Hotels - Tabaccon Hot Springs, Aernal Lodge,
Hotel Costa Verde (Quepos)
I won't tell you about my favorite hotel. I want to keep it a secret.
Pura Vida,
ups.com...