Tourist visa for Oz .... problem !!! :-(

Old August 24th, 2008, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
The Blue

Default Tourist visa for Oz .... problem !!! :-(

Australian visa regulations say that anyone with a *criminal conviction*
cannot
visit Australia, yes ?

In 1988, when I was 24 yrs old, I caught my (then) wife playing around. I
caught her
red-handed ... & punched the bloke (that I caught her with) a good few
times. I got
a £150 fine & a conviction for A.B.H. ( actual bodily harm ). He lost a
few teeth.
I did not go to jail, as the magistrate took into consideration
*mitigating circumstances*
& "good character" references.
I have never been in trouble with the law since ... or before. I've now
been happily
married for 16 years ..... & in continuous employment since 1980, when I
left school.
We ( I & my 2nd wife ) have a lot of money in the bank & bought our own
house.

Friends of ours in Australia have invited us to visit them, many times.
We'd love to .... but
is it really impossible that I would not be able to get a tourist visa ...
solely on the basis of that
1 minor discretion, of 20 years ago ?

I've checked out various Australian visa web-sites & that's the impression
I have.

Any advice or information greatly appreciated !

Cheers.

ps. Ironically .... a couple of hundred years ago, having a *criminal
record* was the ONLY
way that a fellow Brit could get a guaranteed passage to Oz ! :-/

Old August 24th, 2008, 01:51 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry Raymond

"The Blue" wrote in message
. ..
Australian visa regulations say that anyone with a *criminal conviction*
cannot
visit Australia, yes ?

Not true. It can be grounds for refusing you a visa if it's a serious enough
crime, but generally it's not a problem.

If you are applying for an Electronic Tourist Visa, the rules spell out
what's serious enough

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tour...bligations.htm

and it doesn't sound like your circumstances would be a problem.

Kerry

Old August 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
AlmostBob[_2_]

Economy of effort
Why punch a different man every week,

--
_ _
. ..

Old August 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Cruizin[_2_]

You sound like an ideal candidate to become a citizen of Australia and maybe
a politician down the track.

. ..